Apple v Samsung Aftermath; Google Statement; Juror Speaks Out & More

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 27, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

The biggest patent trial of the decade (maybe ever) just wrapped up on Friday, and Samsung lost to Apple to the tune of $1 Billion. Of course there will be appeals filed and other lawsuits from other companies still to follow, but at least this particular daily-news headache is waning. We will soon be able to focus on less frustrating topics in the mobile tech world. Before we can move on, there are a few "aftermath" stories to share. Here's a breakdown below:

First, we have a couple of interesting statements to share from some of the players in this game. One is an internal memo from Samsung that was designed to reassure its employees, and the other is a statement that Google issued in regards to the trial outcome. It is designed to reassure the consumer regarding Android. Here they are below (sourced from AndroidCentral),

Second, Samsung released a separate statement to the public that directly addresses the ridiculous damages claim from the court case. It is a bold statement that will likely be a big part of their appeal. They make a great argument that the damages were poorly calculated, which could easily go in their favor in an appellate court. Speaking to that argument, we found an analysis of Apple's damages claim over at Phandroid. It eloquently breaks down why many of the supposed infringing devices should not have been calculated in the damages because they were on carriers that never (or later) carried the iPhone. Here's Samsung's statement followed by a quote from the article with the breakdown (in the breakdown, the bolded items could not really have taken any business away from Apple),

Here's a quote from the jury instructions that makes this more clear,

Third, a man named Manuel Ilagan came forward to share hist thoughts on the verdict. The reason why his perspective is worth paying attention to is because he was one of the jurors. Here are a couple of his statements, (you can read more of his perspective at CNET),

Of course we will keep you guys updated of any breaking news regarding these and other patent wars, but it will be nice to focus on more tech-friendly stuff for a while! :)
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

It is total BS they are tryign to get money from phones where the iPHone wasnt' even available on. I hate Apple more and more these days.
  3. cobravnm13

cobravnm13 Well-Known Member

+1

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid
  4. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

I think that prospective jurors should have to pass an IQ test before being allowed to decide on cases
  5. LoudRam

LoudRam Well-Known Member

I would love to know what cell phones these jurors use. I'm sure that was part of the pre-trial jury questioning. But I'm curious.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums
  6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

That quote from the juror is very telling and interesting. Remember, Samsung was not allowed to present its photo presentation of their history, which clearly showed similar designs (even to the IPhone) before the IPhone was ever launched. The judge did not allow this exhibit because it was proposed after discovery (or some sort of timing issue they failed to meet). I'm guessing the exhibit the juror is talking about is one Gizmodo constantly puts up, which is very slanted toward Apple's favor (obviously, Apple created it).

That leads me to believe the somewhat questionable ruling of the judge to prevent Samsung from entering their exhibit was a key factor in the outcome.
  7. WestOkid

WestOkid Active Member

8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Most of those are already old phones nearing obsolescence, anyway, right?
  9. cush2push

cush2push Premium Member Premium Member Developer

“Apple’s arguments boiled down to an assertion that everyone who bought a Samsung device would have bought the equivalent product from Apple had the Samsung product not been on the market"

This is apples argument? And they won?
    If that's the case them Google can sue stating that people who bought the iphone because of the notification center would of bought a android product if Apple didn't blatantly infringe on Googles patent further more google should try to get a ban on all IOS 5 and up software because we the consumers may get confused by it i know when i am holding a iphone and a Nexus next to each other i cant tell the difference between them :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  10. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Was talking about the Samsung and Apple lawsuit, and everyone was talking about how Apple "invents" all this stuff and people copy it. Then someone said Apple invented the smart phone.

I died a little bit inside.
  11. WestOkid

WestOkid Active Member

Unfortunately, that can't happen. Android is open source. Google can't make software for everyone to use except Apple. That's why Google bought Motorola figuring they could get leverage from the hardware patents. The goal was to force Apple to be reasonable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  12. cush2push

That nifty notification center is patented open source or not it is patented technology

13. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

Apple/Samsung Jurors Admit They Finished Quickly By Ignoring Prior Art & Other Key Factors | Techdirt

You guys did see this right? The juror stated that they completely ignored the prior art portion when considering which way to vote. A patent is not valid if prior art existed, the jurors saw almost no possibility that prior art didn't exist, but then put that aside on the advice of the foreman who admitted that he saw this as a way to punish Samsung as though they had violated a patent that he held. There is pretty much zero chance that this verdict stands up on appeal. The jury cast aside important instructions and was clearly swayed by one member whom they saw as an expert though he was never determined to be so.
  14. MissionImprobable

Google has a patent pending on notifications.
  15. WestOkid

WestOkid Active Member

It doesn't matter Google has a patent. You can't call something open source and not share it with people because they don't share with you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  16. Androidatic

Androidatic New Member

You're right, they didn't invent it. But what they did do is take it mainstream and make it popular for the masses. Before the iPhone we were stuck with Palm and Blackberry. We may not even have Android if the iPhone didn't come along. It sucks, I know, but step back and look at the whole picture. Android and Apple killed Palm and Blackberry (almost) off and, IMO, we're all better for it.
  17. cush2push

They can and they could take that feature out of the source if they want to it isn't licensed under the Apache 2.0 license

"note that proprietary trademarks and brand features are not included in that license. Google's trademarks and other brand features (including the stylized typeface logo) are not included in the license"

The patent protects one of androids core features and if misused they can sue

18. Bilgediver

Bilgediver New Member

Actually htc was Making decent strides with windows mobile, i know i had the vx6800 (either mogul or tytn, i think mogul) with Verizon.
    Sent from My Droid RAZR MAXX with Tapatalk.
  19. MissionImprobable

Others have already spoken to the facts about the patent issue. Besides that, do you think Google would sit back and let Apple attempt to patent it down the road and end up having the face the same idiocy Samsung has had to deal with, especially considering that things like Siri already fall under patents owned by Moto yet Apple still went ahead with its suit. It would be foolish not to protect your true inventions with a monger like Apple out there.
  20. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

The thing abut that....the LG Prada was launched around the same time. If the Prada had better marketing, execution, more polished.....we might be talking about the Prada instead of the iPhone. Companies were starting to go in the direction of the Prada and iPhone. Apple was just the first to do it very successfully.