Apple to start producing 4th Gen iPhones for Verizon

Reaction score
Saw it on Fox News this AM, Apple is going to start producing iPhones with CDMA chips for Verizon. When that happens, this may make for a good poll (moderators, hint hint)...

How many would ditch their Droid for an iPhone with Verizon?

Considering I bought the Droid for an iPhone-like experience but hated AT&T's coverage, and for me Verizon's superior cell coverage trumps the need to run multiple apps at one time (the biggest advantage IMO of a Droid over an iPhone other than Google Nav (which might just be available on a 4th gen iPhone)), I think I might just have to get an iPhone.

What about y'all?

iPirate

Reaction score
No iPhone for me ever. I'm done with Apple products after my first ipod never got a software update.

JamesX

Reaction score
I bought DROID for the DROID :) I have iPod Touch for the iPhone experience.

Deadamn323

Reaction score
i was going to wait it out before i bought the droid but both phones have their ups and downs. personally i think i would ditch the droid but not anytime soon. if apple manages to change the interface a bit and make it customizable, then we can talk. lol

StupidGenius

Reaction score
This was basically discussed in another thread. But the answer was pretty much an overwhelming "HECK NO!!!".

My iPhone envy disappeared around three months ago when I first learned of the Droid.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I'll believe it when I see it. Until then I say no iPhone for Verizon.

Tekmazter

Reaction score
This is probably what they were eluding to ...

Apple Signs on Qualcomm Chips for 4th-Generation iPhone | CoolTechZone.com

The 4th-generation Apple iPhone is definitely coming to Verizon, according to Northeast Securities Analyst Ashok Kumar. He spoke with manufacturers and suppliers to confirm the decision. Apple has also selected Qualcomm to provide the wireless EV-DO chips for Verizon’s CDMA network. TheStreet says Apple originally wanted a single GSM and CDMA supporting chip from Qualcomm for a world phone, but the company failed to deliver. That pushed Apple into working exclusively with AT&T to deliver a GSM-only phone. Instead of waiting any longer, Apple has also decided to work on creating a separate CDMA phone in partnership with Qualcomm after its exclusive agreement with AT&T expires in June.
Qualcomm is winning big, as TheStreet points out, in the smartphones category. Just last week, Google announced its highly anticipated Nexus One smartphone that carries Qualcomm’s Snapdragon chip.

Eli

Reaction score
nope, still want a physical keyboard and a more open experience.

bL33d

Reaction score
I got rid of my iphone 3gs for a droid so no I will not be handcuffed again by apple.

Guchi

Reaction score
Not me, i was playing with an iphone this weekend and although it is a great phone its not for me. i think my droid is better

OP
DarthMurdicide
Reaction score
All good points, especially about the Droid being more customizable.

Also, that quote Tekmazter put in was exactly the one I read.

And sorry if this is a repeat thread; I didn't see it elsewhere.

Last edited:

m3kilpat

Reaction score
Originally I wanted the iphone but didn't want to leave Verizon. So for 1.5 years I sat on my new every 2 renewal for a new phone because Verizon offered nothing I wanted. Then along came the Droid. Best decision I ever made.

Now if/when the iphone comes to Verizon I'm not sure what I would do. As I said, I originally wanted an iphone but I love my Droid now. I guess it really depends on what the 4th gen brings to the table. When I see an iphone or ipod now I can't stand to look at the screen. I never noticed how crappy the resolution was until having my Droid. Looking at my ipod video from 4 years back looks like it's from the stone age now. Anyways, I'll probably stick with the Droid anyways so long as they continue the series. If a 1st gen Droid can pretty much be better than a 3rd gen iphone, I think a 2nd gen Droid will murder everything.