Apple Store Refuses to Sell iPad to American Customer Because She Spoke Farsi

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jun 22, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Now, this story isn't directly related to this forum, but it looks like it might turn into one of the big tech news pieces of the day, so it is worth sharing. As you can see in the video above, according to a local news report in the U.S. State of Georgia, a 19-year-old American teenaged girl was discriminated against by an Apple store because she spoke the language Farsi. Apparently, the Apple store employee refused to sell Sahar Sabet an Apple iPad, because the store employee recognized that she was speaking Farsi to her uncle, which is the language spoken in Iran.

The store employee claimed Apple's policies dictate that Apple products must not be sold for export to Iran, North Korea or other countries that the US has a trade embargo against. The Apple store employee reportedly told her, "I just can't sell this to you. Our countries have such bad relations." When she explained that she was an American citizen and she had no intention of exporting it, the store employee responded with, "This policy relies on the customer being honest," and still refused to sell it to her. Sabet was shocked and dismayed and said the experience was, "Very hurtful, very embarrassing. I actually walked out in tears."

Ironically, the store employee that refused her service was originally from Iran, which is why he knew that she was speaking Farsi.

Update: After doing some more digging, there are conflicting reports as to whether she claimed where she was sending it. Some reports claimed she said she was sending it to Iran, while others indicate exactly the opposite, that she had no intention of sending it to Iran. We will have to wait to see how this story develops.

Sadly, this wasn't an isolated incident either. Here's a quote with more details on a second report of the same nature:

What do you guys think? Are these just overzealous employees taking things too far, or has Apple simply crossed the line?

Thanks for the tip, furbearingmammal!

Source: TheRegister.co.uk and WSBTV
  2. pdroid

pdroid New Member

Absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
  3. LoudRam

LoudRam Well-Known Member

I smell a discrimination lawsuit. Also Google should give her a free tablet as a PR boost.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.
    2 people like this.
  4. nikecar

nikecar New Member

unless they had proof she was selling overseas, or buying a large quantity, then this is wrong. Google should give her a tablet!!!
  5. Fonzz

Fonzz Member

Just more proof that Apple is beyond Ghey...
    1 person likes this.
  6. silverfang77

silverfang77 Member

All the more reason to buy an Android. They can do everything an iPhone can and the sellers don't even care if you're from this planet, much less the USA.
  7. Josefius

Josefius Member

It could also be he understood what she was saying to her Uncle, like maybe her intent to export it, hence the "we sell to honest people" statement. Just a possibility.
  8. letinsh

letinsh New Member

At the risk of drawing fire, I agree with Apple on this one. The original story said that she had told the employee that she was buying the product as a gift for a friend/relative (I can't remember which one) in Iran. As the US government has trade embargo's on certain countries for certain technology, I agree with Apple's policy....
    And I think Apple is as ghey as the next guy, but...
  9. dgstorm

Please send us a link to the original story so I can update mine. Thanks! :)
  10. rowdyguy124

rowdyguy124 New Member

If the employee knew her intention was to send the iPad to Iran then I can agree with the Apple employee for not selling since that is American Policy. I would expect that from any business establishment.
  11. cujo6801

cujo6801 Member

Just more proof that Apple is beyond Ghey... really are we just changing the spelling of this word....still using it in a derogatory statement.....come on people it's 2012..
  12. letinsh

letinsh New Member

Here's the story I read.
    6th paragraph down: "The iPad was to be a gift for her cousin who lives in Iran."
  13. LoudRam

LoudRam Well-Known Member

Then that changes the whole story because the sales rep was just following company policy.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.
  14. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

How ridiculous. I work with a man from Iran. In fact, hes there right now for the summer with his family. He owns an iPhone and believe me, he has very poor English. I think Apple is using its arrogance to try to decide these things. Yes, its a law you can't buy items for export to Iran, but in no way does Apple have the right to profile people like that. The young woman in the video speaks better English than most people that are whiter than white. Just one more reason for me not to ever buy an apple product.

Love the hypocrisy too that the employee is Iranian too. How do we know hes not stealing items and shipping them back to Iran!?
  15. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Just saw this. It was cleverly left out of the news report in the video. Kind of an important piece.
  16. letinsh

letinsh New Member

Of course it was - conveniently buried at the end of the 6th paragraph in the written story, too.... because then people couldn't be outraged over intolerance, arrogance, profiling, (insert PC term of indignation de jour) and it wouldn't really be news. Sensationalism to elicit a response....kinda like it's done here....
    :r_c:
    1 person likes this.
  17. nikecar

nikecar New Member

Technically. It doesn't matter what brand you get, you still can't ship it or take it to those countries
  18. silverfang77

silverfang77 Member

So if I went to visit Iran, I'd be prohibited from taking my Droid 4 with me?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.
  19. dgstorm

Hmmm... I have to disagree with this perspective. It isn't up to Apple to "police" what she does with the product after the sale. While it is up to Apple or any other company to make sure they don't export directly to Iran, this individual customer is an American citizen. She was purchasing the device in the United States, and once she bought it the onus was on her to follow the U.S. Government's policy of not exporting to Iran.

However, keep in mind that there were two people in this story that were discriminated against. The man in the story, Zack Jafarzadeh, never said anything about where the device was going when he was trying to help an Iranian friend by an iPhone, yet he was also refused service. That is discriminatory no matter how you slice it.
    1 person likes this.
  20. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

That wouldn't be exporting to Iran....So, you could bring your D4 with you.