Apple Snatches Up Blockbuster Patent

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple does the same. Most recently, "Hey, let's steal pull down notifications, guys. No worries that clearly we did not invent it." It's gone on from all sides, so let's no pretend Google is a one-trick pony doing something that's never been done before.

Well there is no patent on the pulldown so it's a little different. I think the only patent case that Apple has "lost" (and by that I mean they're obviously going to appeal) is the iCloud/Motorola cloud patent thing.

And if we're going tit for tat, didn't Google "steal" how to make folders in ICS from iOS? Everyone copies, I don't get why there's such an outcry when Apple does...

There's a difference between copying a software feature and using a patent knowingly without licensing it....

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple does the same. Most recently, "Hey, let's steal pull down notifications, guys. No worries that clearly we did not invent it." It's gone on from all sides, so let's no pretend Google is a one-trick pony doing something that's never been done before.

I did not imply that at all but here's the truth everyone cries like little babies when Apple does something they don't like but they turn a blind eye when Google does it.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well there is no patent on the pulldown so it's a little different.

Just wanted to correct this part. Google does have a patent on the pull down notifications.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
They are all guilty of copying each other at some point but when Apple does it, it's just a blatant rip off of Android but if Android rips something off from Apple it's clearly ridiculous and Apple is just being a big bully. It's just maddening to see all the hypocrisy, and yes it comes from both sides.

yaterml

Reaction score
One multitouch screens have been around for years, several point of sales systems use them for both keyboard functions as well as button systems. I even saw an older toy with a black and white display screen with a multitouch line draw line a digital etchisketch. Heck I designed a bluetooth like system while I was in junior high school. Back before bluetooth. Adaptive 3d glasses while in high school before the TV. The idea for multitouch inputs was not developed by apple it was an idea that they took from science fiction and made it reality so to claim that they invented it is bs. They just came with technology to accomplish an idea someone else already had. If they had actually done something original I would be surprised.. As for the clear display I have been working in a device for a while now that would change how we use our phones tablets gps and more. So I can claim the intellectual property of that...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
One multitouch screens have been around for years, several point of sales systems use them for both keyboard functions as well as button systems. I even saw an older toy with a black and white display screen with a multitouch line draw line a digital etchisketch. Heck I designed a bluetooth like system while I was in junior high school. Back before bluetooth. Adaptive 3d glasses while in high school before the TV. The idea for multitouch inputs was not developed by apple it was an idea that they took from science fiction and made it reality so to claim that they invented it is bs. They just came with technology to accomplish an idea someone else already had. If they had actually done something original I would be surprised.. As for the clear display I have been working in a device for a while now that would change how we use our phones tablets gps and more. So I can claim the intellectual property of that...

My Uncle was Thomas Edison.

yaterml

Reaction score
Cool, I only have a few famous relatives though :( I think the US people should patent the idea of using patents to beat the competition that you cannot beat with product alone. Then use that patent to force Apple to play nice or else they owe the US people money.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to correct this part. Google does have a patent on the pull down notifications.

Last I read, Google has applied for a patent on the dropdown but it has not been granted, yet. So no they don't have the patent, as far as I know, but I could be wrong. (If you have a source that says it was granted please link it to me as I wasn't aware of it).

If they did, they'd be suing Apple already....and when/if they get it, they're going to sue Apple, not sit back and say "We do no evil"...and then people here will say Apple deserved it, ignoring the fact that Google also deserves it if they infringe on patents haha.

The point is every company copies. But if you own a patent on something, it's your patent, and if someone wants to use it, they have to pay. If Google gets the dropdown patent, they will and should sue Apple. It's just business as usual.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
About the Apple vs. Android stuff...

We have to admit if it wasnt for Apple being on the offensive recently, getting these lawsuits started first recently....we probably wouldnt see all this Apple the big bully posts going on. Maybe Apple doesnt want what happened with the desktop arena to happen here. As a company...Apple has a right to try to protect their stuff. Any company does. The biggest problem is patents granted for IMO very broad things. And what a company that has said patents does or try to do to others who may be using them. In all the Apple vs. Android stuff....folks may have forgotten or dont know that Microsoft is STILL getting paid from some Android manufactures for some mystery patents, technology. Forget Apple...what in the world does Microsoft has that has manufactures just giving in?

If some of Moto's patents falls under FRAND...there are a few that should fall under FRAND from Apple. Thats a good question....how many Apple patents do fall under FRAND?
That may be the million dollar question in all these lawsuits. That and whats the point of prior art? Doesnt it still matter even after a specific amount of time?

I for one hopes Apple doesnt go away anytime soon...I just bought stock in Apple...LOL!! Looking back... I WISH I woulda been thinking about stocks back in 2010...man oh man... Same for trying to get stock in Google, Facebook or other companies. I'm shocked at how low Microsofts stock is.

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
About the Apple vs. Android stuff...

We have to admit if it wasnt for Apple being on the offensive recently, getting these lawsuits started first recently....we probably wouldnt see all this Apple the big bully posts going on. Maybe Apple doesnt want what happened with the desktop arena to happen here. As a company...Apple has a right to try to protect their stuff. Any company does. The biggest problem is patents granted for IMO very broad things. If some of Moto's patents falls under FRAND...there are a few that should fall under FRAND from Apple. Thats a good question....how many Apple patents do fall under FRAND?

That may be the million dollar question in all these lawsuits.

I for one hopes Apple doesnt go away anytime soon...I just bought stock in Apple...LOL!! Looking back... I WISH I woulda been thinking about stocks back in 2010...man oh man... Same for trying to get stock in Google, Facebook or other companies. And OT...but I'm shocked at how low Microsofts stock is.

haha ditto. as recent as 2004 i believe apple stock was like $10! Talk about missing the boat...

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Last I read, Google has applied for a patent on the dropdown but it has not been granted, yet. So no they don't have the patent, as far as I know, but I could be wrong. (If you have a source that says it was granted please link it to me as I wasn't aware of it).

If they did, they'd be suing Apple already....and when/if they get it, they're going to sue Apple, not sit back and say "We do no evil"...and then people here will say Apple deserved it, ignoring the fact that Google also deserves it if they infringe on patents haha.

The point is every company copies. But if you own a patent on something, it's your patent, and if someone wants to use it, they have to pay. If Google gets the dropdown patent, they will and should sue Apple. It's just business as usual.

You're right. Filed in 2009 and patent pending. My mistake.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Absolutely. And this patent looks 100% legit. This is just misplaced outrage over some of the more frivolous patents and lawsuits Apple has run, not to mention the latest trend of patenting "ideas" without a design/architecture, much less a prototype, but that's more an issue with the patent system. Don't hate Apple because they are playing the game better than others right now.

There is a disconnect, however, between the two business models. Google is disruptive technology and there isn't or shouldn't be a lot of interest in protecting your intellectual property when you intend to open-source it. Google is all about capturing the secondary revenues. But Apple has the more traditional model focusing on the primary revenues. It's not that Google is somehow more benign or less anti-competition, it's just that an aggressive IP strategy isn't critical to their business model, at least not until Apple went all Van Damme over the stuff.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I think what he meant was it doesnt matter if people say "hey they ripped us off!" when granting patents. If you apply for one, and are granted it it's your patent until a court rules otherwise. If prior art exists, it could be invalidated, but saying "it's not fair, that was ours" means nothing if you dont own the patent.

Sorry, I didn't read it that way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

wvdroidman

Reaction score
Absolutely. And this patent looks 100% legit. This is just misplaced outrage over some of the more frivolous patents and lawsuits Apple has run, not to mention the latest trend of patenting "ideas" without a design/architecture, much less a prototype, but that's more an issue with the patent system. Don't hate Apple because they are playing the game better than others right now.

There is a disconnect, however, between the two business models. Google is disruptive technology and there isn't or shouldn't be a lot of interest in protecting your intellectual property when you intend to open-source it. Google is all about capturing the secondary revenues. But Apple has the more traditional model focusing on the primary revenues. It's not that Google is somehow more benign or less anti-competition, it's just that an aggressive IP strategy isn't critical to their business model, at least not until Apple went all Van Damme over the stuff.

If they are awarded this patent does that make all android devices illegal?