Apple Says "Your cash is no good here!"

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Darkseider, May 19, 2010.

1. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Cash Not Accepted

Seriously. Apple should just burn. I have never hoped for a company to go under due to the impact it would have on its' employees and their families. In this case though I will make an exception.
  2. Chupp75

Chupp75 New Member

apple is to "modern" for "old school" methods of payment. what a joke.
  3. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Point is regardless of what Apple's policies are, denying U.S. currency in a store in the United States by a company that was founded and is headquartered in the United States is an abomination. Plain and simple.
  4. gszeman

gszeman New Member

My thoughts exactly...
  5. cwzwack

cwzwack New Member

Perhaps they are worried that stores may end up with significant amounts of cash on hand and could make them easy targets for robberies or employee theft.
  6. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Though I agree it's a retarded policy (and potentially illegal, despite what the author said he found (no citations given?)) in the case of the woman in the article they did her a favor... if she shops around for a deal she can get a FULL laptop (i.e. far more power and features) for the same price... but then Apple users generally aren't the brightest in the bunch when it comes to spending on computers....
  7. gszeman

gszeman New Member

I think the reason is because they want to try to look cool using the swipe card reader glued to their iTouch...
  8. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

That's a BS excuse....

Just like places that won't take a 50 or 100 dollar bills.... I go elsewhere to do my business.
  9. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Yes we all know that a laptop would be better but what if she doesn't need a laptop and something as basic as an iPad would suit her needs? Regardless of the I.Q. of the average Apple consumer, or lack thereof, it is still no excuse for a U.S. based company with retail storefronts to deny a customer a product based on the method of payment. In this particular case the almighty dollar which last I checked is still the currency we use in the United States.
  10. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

This is a disgrace if it's true.
  11. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

She was 'a computer-less woman' so she either has very little idea of what she really needs or doesn't need anything to begin with (she's done this long without one right?)... at any rate anyone that has to pinch and save that hard doesn't need an iPad to begin with... for 1/2 the price she can get a cheap POS from walmart and use the remaining money to (here's something American's have forgot about) PUT IT INTO SAVINGS..... k, off the :soapbox:

but yes it's a ridiculous policy and I hope someone challenges them legal on it. Every bill in the US specifically says it's legal tender for ALL DEBITs so as long as they are on American soil I don't see how they can legally refuse.
  12. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

lol I remember buying stamps at the post office in the machine and getting $18 in susan b anthony dollars change...

To bad apple doesnt seem to remember their own roots, starting off in a garage, friends garage at that...
  13. Shadez

Also, it does say on all paper currency that it is legall tender for ALL debts..
  14. justicw

justicw New Member

isn't it illegal to refuse cash?
  15. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Well-Known Member

Not large bills, at least. Restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale sometimes wouldn't even accept a $20.

Not that it matters to me, I use cash once in a blue moon and never carry it. I put everything through credit cards because it's just easier for me.
  16. Backnblack

Any backing on that?
  17. Backnblack

Never mind...Got it

U.S. Treasury - FAQs: Legal Tender Status of currency

I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.
  18. Shadez

On the flipside, its also illegal for stores to require a minimum purchase to use a credit card but you see that everywhere...
  19. Backnblack

20. Shadez

Yea I know but was easier to type illegal then type out against the CC agreement ..lol but doesnt matter now cause I had to type more to explain anyways :D