Apple ports Android to the iPhone!

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by apastuszak, Apr 8, 2010.

1. apastuszak

apastuszak New Member

Did you see the announcement today? The iPhone 3GS will now have multitasking, a way to quickly switch between apps, and even folders on the desktop!

I commend Apple in their incredible porting effort! Now if only they could get widgets working...

Andy
  2. Johnly

Johnly Guest

LOL, now who is following who?
  3. DaveJustDave

DaveJustDave New Member

My iphone toting coworkers were amazed when I showed them how I could hold down my "home" button and up comes a box that shows all my open applications!
  4. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

It's interesting to me to see this.

It's not often you see apple being forced to react to losing sales or their market being taken by something else. Now they are in panic mode. It's not even true multitasking.

Oh, and you must have their third gen phone to even use it. Im pretty sure android has been able to handle it the whole time.
  5. gardobus

gardobus New Member

You do know that those are NOT your open applications.. they are just the most recently used ones. Kill everything with a task killer and then hold home, they'll still be there. :)
  6. Johnly

Johnly Guest

My friend and I had our Droids out on break in math class, and our bud with the iphone was watching us in amazement, 7 screen, widgets, and the speech to text made him look on in awhhh! Yes, the android still does if you are lucky enough to have 2.1 goodies!
  7. gardobus

gardobus New Member

Even with the stock 2.0.1 it is a beast.
  8. apastuszak

apastuszak New Member

True but....

Multitasking on something as old as a G1 with Android 1.6 on it is slow. I am sure Apple's consideration was which hardware would be able to handle multitasking and still have a reasonable level of performance.

I'm sure there will be a some jailbroken hack to enable multitasking on a 3G. But you may not like the experience once you have it enabled.
  9. iPirate

iPirate New Member

You guys are forgetting folders! Finally the guys at Apple were able to figure it out! :motdroidvert:
  10. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

I thought my old G1 multitasked pretty well, it did what I needed it too. And as for the iPhone 3gs is has the same processor as the Droid and the droid multitasks pretty well.
  11. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Link to said announcement?
  12. Edmvr6

Edmvr6 New Member

These guys over here sweating and praising the new iphone OS should go ahead and get one.... so annoying... This is a DROID forum!
  13. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

14. iPirate

iPirate New Member

I don't think anyone is praising the iphone :), at least not here.
  15. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Actually, the iPhone has always had multitasking. It was simply limited to a few Apple-owned applications. What they have done is to open the o/s to allow more applications to multitask. It is still not nearly as "open" a system as the android, but it also doesn't have nearly the complexity and issues of memory management faced by android devices where multitasking of all third party apps is allowed.

As Steve Jobs noted today, "...In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it..." What he didn't say was that it's Apple's iron grip control of the apps available that makes it possible to avoid ever having to use a task killer.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  16. Johnly

Johnly Guest

no joke, a very solid OS
  17. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Not sweating or praising. Just making fun of iDroid 4.0, that's all. It took Apple 2+ years to catch up to 2008. I for one found the "Me too" conference very entertaining and comical.
  18. gardobus

gardobus New Member

You being srs right now?

Seriously?
  19. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Notable new features for users ("tentpoles" are in bold):
    • Multitasking. I'm interested to see how well it works, and to what extent they allow it.
    • Spell check (like on the iPad).
    • Bluetooth keyboard support (again, on the iPad).
    • User-defined wallpaper (a jailbreak favorite). Sad it took this long for such a basic feature even my dumb phones had.
    • Tap to focus when recording video, just like with photos, and a 5x digital zoom for the camera. I am a little jealous.
    • Playlist creation and nested playlists. Basic... should've been there from day one, esp. for a phone based off an iPod.
    • App folders for sorting apps! You can even put an app folder in the dock. I've lost count how many apps we have to do this :)
    • Enhanced Mail! You can have a merged inbox view, switch between inboxes quickly, and sync to more than one Exchange account. There's also threaded messaging (at last!) and in-app attachment viewing. Threaded messaging... "Hey thanks for coming to the party..."
    • iBooks, just like on iPad, only smaller. You can wirelessly sync books between platforms, a la Kindle.
    • Enterprise features, including remote device management and wireless app distribution.
    • Game Center. It's like Xbox Live, but for iPhone games. Includes achievements, leaderboards, and match making. It will be available as a "developer preview," and out for consumers later this year.

Developers are getting plenty of new tricks too:
    • New SDK, available today.
    • 1,500 new APIs.
    • Background audio (think Pandora). About time iPhone.
    • Background VoIP (think Skype).
    • Background location data, both with live GPS for backgrounded turn-by-turn, and cell tower-based for lower power draw. Still aGPS, not true GPS so meh....
    • Local notifications. Like push notifications, but sends a notification straight from the app without needing a push notification server, perfect for an alarm, for instance. Wasn't aware the iPhone needed a push server for notifications.....
    • Fast app switching. Saves the state of an app and resumes it from where you left off, without dwelling in memory. Late to the party again...
    • iAd. Apple says it's for keeping "free apps free." The ads keep you in the app, while also taking over the screen and adding interactivity -- using HTML 5 for video -- up to simple gaming in-ad. Apple will offer a 60 / 40 split on revenue, and users can even buy apps straight from an ad. HTML 5 may be the future, but it's a long way off.... not having FLASH will come back to bite Apple when it finally does hit the mobile market.
    • In-app SMS.
    • Map overlays. I didn't know you couldn't do layers before....
    • Quick look for previewing documents.
    • Photo Library access.
    • Calendar access.
    • Full access to the camera.
    • Video playback and capture.
    • Date and address "data detectors."
    • Automated testing and performance / power analysis (the same tools Apple uses).
    Update: Here's a big "lose some" -- only the iPhone 3GS and 3rd generation (late 2009) iPod touch will support multitasking. The iPhone 3G and below won't -- Steve says the hardware doesn't support it. Sad face.

Sorry... I just don't like the iPhone and the people who own them :icon_ devil:
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  20. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

lol thanks, I didnt even know about that.. wondered why they always popped up sometimes ..