Apple loses iPad lawsuit to small Spanish tablet maker

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
nt-k-pad-image-001.png

Apple has lost a legal fight against a small Spanish tablet manufacturer called NT-K, maker of the NT-K Android tablet. In a ruling that contrasts with Apple's legal domination against Samsung, NT-K successfully defended its products from accusations that the company was 'copying' Apple's iPad, Foss Patents explains. The claim was filed by Apple in November last year, and saw the Spanish company's shipments from China seized, and its name temporarily placed on an EU-wide list of product pirates. Aside from the commercial dispute, Apple even brought criminal charges against NT-K, a move that Foss Patent's Florian Mueller called, "absolutely outrageous." Now those claims have been dismissed, and it seems that the little company has lodged an antitrust complaint against Apple, and is suing for compensation for monetary damages, lost profits and "moral damages." NT-K published a triumphant post on its company blog (in Spanish), part of which 9to5Mac has translated thus: "We are a small company like many others in these times of crisis we are trying to get ahead, and it seems grossly unfair that a company the calibre of Apple has to use its dominant influence." Interestingly, the complaint Apple lodged apparently concerned the same design right that it asserted in its fight against Samsung, winning two injunctions in Germany against the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Galaxy Tab 7.7.

ORIGINAL SOURCE (spanish): LA JUSTICIA NOS HA DADO LA RAZON ANTE APPLE | Blog NT-K

OTHER SOURCE: David beats Goliath: Apple loses iPad lawsuit against small Android vendor from Spain | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Jonas

Reaction score
This astounds me that a small company like this could tell Apple to GTFO in so many words, but a company like Samsung with bottomless pockets couldn't do this. Maybe Apple will chill out instead of being like that kid who couldn't win at dodge ball so he got his mom to get it outlawed in CA.

Eric18

Reaction score
:biggrin:One step in the right direction for the rest of the companies out there that are being sued. Now what ever these guys did the others need to fallow. Hopefully they can beat Apple at its own game and get there products band.:icon_evil: Its sad that Apple is still suing just because there losing there game/market.

Jonas

Reaction score
:biggrin:One step in the right direction for the rest of the companies out there that are being sued. Now what ever these guys did the others need to fallow. Hopefully they can beat Apple at its own game and get there products band.:icon_evil: Its sad that Apple is still suing just because there losing there game/market.

Someone correct me, but didn't they file all/most of them around the same time, and they basically put them in a single file line, and are processing them as they can.

Eric18

Reaction score
Someone correct me, but didn't they file all/most of them around the same time, and they basically put them in a single file line, and are processing them as they can.

:)Yes but they keep on adding on more stuff as it goes on, but its not to late for those who are being sued. The need to find Apple's weak spot and take them down. Apple is being Immature by suing everyone in sight, so much for evolution...........

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
:)Yes but they keep on adding on more stuff as it goes on, but its not to late for those who are being sued. The need to find Apple's weak spot and take them down. Apple is being Immature by suing everyone in sight, so much for evolution...........

I know this statement may be unpopular, but Apple has to protect it's product. They make the OS and and the Hardware. If they do nothing, you will see clones of the iPads all around the place with the Android OS skinned to look like iOS.

I am a proud android user, and I don't want my android device looking like an iPhone in any shape or form. However, aesthetics is value. Apple does it right in the looks department. Android tablet makers need to go there own route and find a new look for tablets that look good and don't confuse users looking to buy an iPad, but instead get an iClone, on subpar equipment, blaming android in the process. Just my 2 cents.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
a tablet is a tablet. a laptop is a laptop. a desktop is a desktop. computer manufacturers dont sue each other for their devices looking like a box. it just is what it is.

how can you make a tablet look different from what it is supposed to be, a large touchscreen? lawsuits over physical design are tedious, frivolous, and need to stop.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

vvildcard

Reaction score
I know this statement may be unpopular, but Apple has to protect it's product. They make the OS and and the Hardware. If they do nothing, you will see clones of the iPads all around the place with the Android OS skinned to look like iOS.

I am a proud android user, and I don't want my android device looking like an iPhone in any shape or form. However, aesthetics is value. Apple does it right in the looks department. Android tablet makers need to go there own route and find a new look for tablets that look good and don't confuse users looking to buy an iPad, but instead get an iClone, on subpar equipment, blaming android in the process. Just my 2 cents.

You're right that Apple has the right to defend their products... The issue is that they're attacking other manufacturers based on things as trivial as the shape of their products. That is asinine.

Also, I'm yet to hear of a case where Apple has started by going to the manufacturers and asked them to negotiate a compromise. Maybe it they do, but it's not being reported (and I follow the issue pretty closely). The impression you get in every case is that Apple jumps in with an injunction, disrupts the products and then waits it out in court. Not even Apple is coming out to defend their bad rep by saying they are least trying to resolve the issue outside the courts.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Jonas

Reaction score
I think this ties into that blip we saw a week or so back now about steve jobs vowing to take android down. But here's my thing. Apple is a great company, and steve jobs was a genius. Not many people would dispute that. But take someone like henry ford who invented the assembly line. I don't think he ran to every court in the land when other companies started using this idea to compete with him. I think that apple just had the luck of designing the first tablet that sold well, and now that they have products that are selling and competing with them its all no fair. I think a tablet is like a car. All of them are going to have 4 wheels and an engine. Whether that a front wheel drive, 8 cyclinder, or has 2 doors is up to the company, but they all do kinda look like a car.

Eric18

Reaction score

Well technically Apple is making innovation impossible by suing everyone. Apple was the one using others Tech. (Samsung is one) in there devices and slowing down progress by slowly upgrading products to make the most money. I believe in protecting what one has built but making it impossible for innovation is wrong and hurts inventors and consumers. I mean look at the iPhone 4 & iPhone 4s they could have made it 10x better but by slowly making upgrades they profit the most. I had loved Apple at one point but because of its disregard for innovation on all sides of the field, I have become very disappointing. This is not directed at you but at Apple for being so Childish, if they want to succeed they should do it through their products not the courts. It only proves that their scared of losing profits and consumers, not their patients.:(

Last edited:

Eric18

Reaction score
I think this ties into that blip we saw a week or so back now about steve jobs vowing to take android down. But here's my thing. Apple is a great company, and steve jobs was a genius. Not many people would dispute that. But take someone like henry ford who invented the assembly line. I don't think he ran to every court in the land when other companies started using this idea to compete with him. I think that apple just had the luck of designing the first tablet that sold well, and now that they have products that are selling and competing with them its all no fair. I think a tablet is like a car. All of them are going to have 4 wheels and an engine. Whether that a front wheel drive, 8 cyclinder, or has 2 doors is up to the company, but they all do kinda look like a car.

Agreed:biggrin: