Apple iPhones Used as Brake Pads on Porsche 911 [Video]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The above is a video of a crazy person attempting to figure out the obvious: iPhones don't make good break pads. Seriously, we give him points for creatively thinking outside the box on this iPhone destruction video, but we can't help but think it was just plain dumb. Was this really a question that needed to be asked?

Ah well... at least it's mildly entertaining.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They should've used a Samsung device with Touch Wiz and lollipop. Those brakes would have lagged and stopped every time if they didn't do an fdr before installing

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Note8

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I have no words, what a waste of phones that could be donated to the poor...

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Some people just have way too much time on their hands...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I laugh at the scenario he used at the beginning of the video.

The double edged sword of youtube, it can be a tool for good and a tool for idiots. With this all said and done it is there money so if they want to destroy 800 phones so be it. I am sure apple don't care so why should I.

Reactions: cr6

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I certainly don't care, but who the heck would use their cell phones for brakes, if you have a Porsche 911 and you do your own brakes, you don't own an iPhone... You're on an Android... ;)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Of all of the scenarios I'd go through if ALL of my brakes failed at the same time, using ANY smartphone definitely wouldn't be on my list of fixes.

In fact, my parents' gift to me each year is to pay for AAA service. I'd just call them and ask them to bring the iPhones...or a tow truck...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Um...well..let me see....part of owning a car is maintaining that car..getting the brakes checked for pad thickness is part of that..its like checking the oil, changing the oil....so if you go on a trip it minimizes the need to use iPhones as pads...lmao..

I didn't watch it all..but those rotors were probably not super cheap..bet they got pretty messed up..

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Um...well..let me see....part of owning a car is maintaining that car..getting the brakes checked for pad thickness is part of that..its like checking the oil, changing the oil....so if you go on a trip it minimizes the need to use iPhones as pads...lmao..

I didn't watch it all..but those rotors were probably not super cheap..bet they got pretty messed up..
Yeah, after the first run at 20mph, he was commenting on the residue left on the rotors. They didn't really show much of them after that as he was taking the mounts off to check out the phones, but I'd imagine they'd need some serious tlc if they were going to continue to be used after this.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
A real test would have been Android on one side of the car and Apple on the other side, with Windows phones on the back brakes, because the back brakes really don't do much or work as well as the front brakes do...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
A real test would have been Android on one side of the car and Apple on the other side, with Windows phones on the back brakes, because the back brakes really don't do much or work as well as the front brakes do...
That's true..typically its approximately 70/30..but I don't think any device would hold up ..just the clamping power of those calipers...looked like 4 or 6 pistons but I'm not sure...that's a lot of clamping force LOL.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
That's true..typically its approximately 70/30..but I don't think any device would hold up ..just the clamping power of those calipers...looked like 4 or 6 pistons but I'm not sure...that's a lot of clamping force LOL.
Oh I was definitely joking, that whole video / application was absurd, just a couple of guys with way to much time and money. If done by a couple of rednecks using a Pinto or Vega or something, it would have been more appropriate and funny.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Maybe a redneck in a hopped up silveraydo lmao..I hope you've heard of imari king.. Or else that will make no sense

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Maybe a redneck in a hopped up silveraydo lmao..I hope you've heard of imari king.. Or else that will make no sense
Yep, I'm about as redneck as you can get in SoCal...