Apple Found 'Not guilty' in $1Billion Anti-Trust Lawsuit; Jury Rules 'genuine product improvements'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
apple-wins-anti-trust-lawsuit.png

Imagine if you owned a media device and the company that produced that device admitted they stole some of your content and deleted it from your device without telling you. Would you give them a free pass and cite, "genuine product improvements" if they claimed that the move was a necessary security measure to protect you from malware? That's what a "jury of peers" determined in the recent anti-trust lawsuit against Apple.

For years now, Apple has been embroiled in a lawsuit that they didn't instigate for a change. This time, the Cupertino company was being sued for anti-competitive practices designed to make it harder to use anyone else's stuff but theirs. Specifically, Apple was accused of implementing practices against competing digital music stores. It did this by restricting the songs that users could upload to their iPods to only those songs ripped from CDs or bought from iTunes.

It later even publicly admitted that it did this by removing songs from people's iPods without even informing them. It claimed that this was done as a security measure in order to protect users from harmful or malicious content. Apparently, the jury in the case bought this feeble argument "hook-line-and-sinker." They let them off "Scott-free," reasoning that what Apple did was “genuine product improvements” and was not anticompetitive at all.

Well... we do live in a world where "Flappy Birds" was the number 6 most searched for thing on Google in all of 2014... {feel free to roll your eyes now}

Source: Twitter

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Was a different outcome really expected? Try this case in Europe and the outcome would have been different.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Can ANYONE tell me where the logic is in this case? I'm dumbfounded!! I rarely if ever use the term "epic stupidity" but this is epic stupidity. I cannot wrap my head around it. Somebody help me!!! Seriously, I'm not joking.

The words I want to use right now aren't appropriate for this site. $$%%^%$#$&*!!! *&&*$$%^##@!!!!!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The reason why... "jury of peers" - everyone on the jury had iPhones. Plain and simple. They probably dialed all the juror's phone numbers during the jury selection and listened for

Last edited:

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
If they were deleting music off of my device without my permission, I would consider that theft.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It did this by restricting the songs that users could upload to their iPods to only those songs ripped from CDs or bought from iTunes.
This was actually one of the main reasons I didn't purchase an iPod back in the day when they were popular. That and I wasn't a fan of iTunes.
The results of this trial absolutely boggle the mind!

S5 tap'n

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Yeah... real justice seems hard to come by in the US nowadays @cereal killer.
not only that, but people will allow themselves to be infringed upon aka stolen from and not think twice about it. Heck they'll even agree to it! "Yeah yeah take my stuff off my iPod. Naw I'm not mad you didn't tell me. I probably deserved it"

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
**Expletives replaced by myself per site guidelines. You decide where they should've gone in your own head.***

My goodness gracious! Who's selecting these monster-trucking juries these days? How Gall-bladder stupid do you seriously have to be to see this any other duck-butt (pushing the envelope or acceptable?) way than anti-competitive and theft!?

Have to agree with FoxKat. The entire jury must've been comprised of iSheeple.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'd be beyond ticked.. I was ticked when my ripped songs stopped being supported on power amp.. I just re ripped and reformatted them.. Fixed that. But this.. I would be furious.. Once I own a device.. It's not for the manufacturer, provider(if applicable) or anyone one else, to tell me what's going to be on my device... Oh no...and to remove stuff without my say so.. Really.. It would bother me that THEY COULD remove stuff without my "accepting" their doing so..

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
@Jonny Kansas we are going to have to lift the language rule on site for this thread LOL. This is truly unbelievable!! I mean come on...how is this justified?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
@Jonny Kansas we are going to have to lift the language rule on site for this thread LOL. This is truly unbelievable!! I mean come on...how is this justified?
It's justified because the isheep were baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad... Or stuuuuuuuuuuupid.. Or both..