Apple files for Face and Presence Detection patent.

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, Dec 29, 2011.

1. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

Karma needs to swoop in and give Apple a swift kick to the groin...Does Apple make a good product? Yes. So let the product speak for ITSELF. No need to resort to litigation on everything. The patent system is clearly flawed. When are they going to finally realize this and revoke all these bogus patents and deny the ridiculous patent requests?
  2. jkhonea

jkhonea DF Super Moderator

OK, please tell me all of you actually read that this patent was entered in 2010, before ICS had even previewed Facial Recognition. Please.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Narsil

Narsil Active Member

It's not a mobile feature but Alienware computers have had face-recognition security for a while now; I'm pretty sure it's more than a couple years old but I'm not sure. I don't have to even log onto Windows with my M17X which I got in December of 2010. All I have to do is show it my face and it recognizes me and logs me into Windows. I can even have it set up so that when I step away from the computer it automatically locks Windows until it sees my face again whereupon it automatically unlocks.

Granted, that's on a laptop, not a phone/tablet but I'd think Apple would have a difficult time patenting the idea if Alienware (or from whoever Alienware licensed the code) patented it already. :confused:
  4. anhanymouse

anhanymouse New Member

My 5 year old asus laptop has facial recognition...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
  5. smokiedabong

smokiedabong New Member

What the hell, my 2008 Samsung phone had facial recognition in it's camera application, Google has developed facial recognition software before 2009 cause in '09 Picasa had this feature integrated. Actually development for facial recognition by a computer goes back to 1960, was Jobs even born back then? Police had been using this technology for a lot of time for CCTV systems and to match faces to a photo database. And I know there were a couple of security software for Windows doing the same thing. This is just ridiculous, I'll be pissed if the feature is removed from Android, I'm using it every day and it works great for me, my phone recognizes me every single time even in low light such as during night driving or in front of my monitor. I don't care if somebody can unlock it with my photo, what are the chances of somebody who finds my lost phone to have a photo of me?
  6. benb1974

benb1974 Member

Maybe patend mobile batteries, or thumbs yea thumbs. Only iPhone users can touch a mobile device with there thumbs.
  7. rlb

rlb New Member

I'm not versed (at all) in patent law, but wouldn't google be covered by "prior art" in these circumstances, since they implemented both of these things before the patent was granted? Let say I filed for a shoe lace patent (assuming there never was one). I can't then go back and sue every shoe manufacturer that's made a shoe with laces...

Apple seems like a bully that's been challenged (like that skinny Australian kid that got body slammed) and now all they can do is taddle and point fingers as a last ditched effort.
  8. jkhonea

jkhonea DF Super Moderator

There's a good chance the patent could be denied. That's why I don't understand all the overreactions about the application for a patent that started over a year ago. Seriously, some are acting like Google never patents anything, HTC doesn't, Motorola doesn't. People, stop the overreactions.
  9. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

If what Apple is trying to patent is a simple Face Unlock like ICS has, I see no way they'd be granted this patent. However, that doesn't seem to be what they're trying to do. If people just read the actual article instead of going crazy they'd see there's far more to this than just a face unlock:

1) There's a "presence" indicator to what they're proposing, where you don't have to turn on the phone to have it work. You pick up the phone, it senses you are there, scans your face, turns the phone on and unlocks itself all without any input from the user at all
    2) From the article itself: "Apple mentions that the software would isolate unique facial features in addition to specific skin tones to recognize a face. The software would memorize the attributes to the face, but the user may potentially have to reset the scan after any form of facial plastic surgery or something as simple as a sunburn"
    3) The patent was filed for in 2010. Meaning it was filed for...in 2010. Not sure why everyone is going bezerk over this. It's an old patent that was filed for in 2010, that is just now being disclosed.

So, this leads to only two possible conclusions. 1) It's EXACTLY like Face Unlock, in which case the patent WON'T be granted, or 2) It's NOTHING like Face Unlock, in which case if Apple tried to sue Google for it, the case would be ruled in Google's favor because they are not using the same implementation.

Of course, stating the facts makes me a troll and a douchebag to the fanboys who can't take a few seconds to actually read the article. But, as per the usual, it's far easier to just bash Apple without any facts, because you know, they're evil....:icon_ devil:
    1 person likes this.
  10. skruid

skruid New Member

I don't understand why apple is this way, they wanted it to be all shared and open in the beginning when they stole ideas from Microsoft, I just don't get it if u know the whole story, apple did indeed steal alot of ideas from Microsoft in the becoming to jump start the company
    They are just hypocrites

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  11. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team Premium Member

It's okay, people won't listen or read the entire thread. I posted on the very first page that the patent was filed for in 2010 so it's really not Apple trying to gain the upperhand against Android after 4.0 came out. Like others have said, they may not even get this patent. Facial unlock is such a generic feature that several companies have been doing before 2010. It may not have been as known as it is now with ICS but it was still out in the wild.
  12. rlb

rlb New Member

All corporations have a little evil in them :icon_ devil: But unfortunately we can't have the society we have without them....but that's a different topic for a different forum.

Anyway, yes it does seem like a bit of an overreaction on the part of most people. But then again, the OP doesn't really elude to much of the factual stuff...It's written with a slight sensational bias, so that what you're going to get from most people.
  13. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Yep, every corp does things like this including *gasp* Google! It's business as usual. And I agree, the OP does make it sound like this patent was filed on October 20th, right after the ICS announcement or something but to the OP's credit, the source links are provided for everyone here to read, which of course they didn't. It just makes people look incredibly silly when they overreact to something that doesn't appear to have any kind of effect on Google/Android, regardless if the patent is granted or not.:icon_eek:
  14. rudolphe

rudolphe New Member

They could be using it for something like the device detects which person has it in their hand and signs them into a profile. Could be used for iPads and stuff if you have kids that use your devices.

I remember hearing something about a year ago that apple might try doing this, didn't mention how they would detect who the user was but I guess this'll do... don't have any links or sources to it.
  15. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Yep, and again from the article itself:

"Could be configured to Recognize Faces in your Family or Workplace
    Furthermore, the iOS device could be configured to recognize faces of a predetermined group (including a small number) of users that may login on the iOS device and could present each user with a personalized configuration (see patent point 142). For example, to comply with such personalized configurations, the iOS device could modify screen saver slide shows or other appliance non-security preferences. I also see that patent point 142 noted above shows us that we could be greeted with a message saying Hello! Although that will likely be optional, I'm curious as to how Apple will implement such a feature. Will they use a text only greeting or will they venture out and introduce a more personalized greeting from Siri (if you're an iCloud subscriber, that is). Depending on your view of talking devices, that could either be cool or creepy (ha!). "

Reading is fundamental, kids
    :)
  16. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen New Member

Rofl this thread. im not going to comment about the apple filing im more going to comment on the system. No need to be nervous, no need to freak out... our system while broken as people say is good enough to identify the bad and good. The USPTO isnt perfect they do grant some patents they shouldn't but realistically thats just the first check mark in the system for suing people. If apple tried suing people with a patent that it truly shouldn't have then i guarantee a company will checking validity of patent. Just a part of the process. Also, if a company is using something in their product before another company files for the patent it will be thrown out. While apple did file for this in 2010, google has recently aquired Pittsburgh Pattern Recognition . Im sure thats got a couple useful patents :p just saying.
Search tags for this page

.face file android