Apple Fighting 'HACK' Order by FBI investigation of San Bernardino Killers

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everything. They can trace every step you make electronically. You're not Innocent until proven guilty anymore. We are all suspects and have to prove our innocence. Remember that your innocent in a court of law. Counter Terrorism efforts aren't under any courts, they are not subject to our rights. If it's about National Security, you get a trip to Gitmo.

Tell me how that doesn't have anything to due with innocent until proven guilty.
In this case though, both shooters are dead and the device in question was company issued. It's 2 whole other cans of worms that the government is trying to force Apple to create a technology that will have 0 impact on the trial of the accused. There will be no trial for the accused. They're dead. The phone was company issued so it is up to the company that issued them to grant permission for search using a technology that doesn't exist, thus forcing Apple to create a technology that will infringe on the rights of anyone's name that happens to be on said phone. So if they do it and "That Dude Needstogetajob" happens to be a contact in the accused persons phone he can be assured of black helicopters in his vicinity in the near future.
To me this is election year scare tactics bullshirt. Used to be "so and so will take away your social security if elected" . Now it's "religious zealots will nuke the nation And kill your children if you don't give us more of your rights". It's sad we're where we are.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Very sad state we live in. I agree.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Did anybody actually bother to read what fbi wanted from Apple? They didn't ask to decrypt all the info on the phone or create a "backdoor". They want apple to disable delay timer between entering pin and the self destruct feature embedded into the password unlock, which inacts after 10 wrong attempts so they can brute force the pin.

I applaud apple for standing up to government, but I'm afraid it's fighting a losing battle.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Did anybody actually bother to read what fbi wanted from Apple? They didn't ask to decrypt all the info on the phone or create a "backdoor". They want apple to disable delay timer between entering pin and the self destruct feature embedded into the password unlock, which inacts after 10 wrong attempts so they can brute force the pin.

I applaud apple for standing up to government, but I'm afraid it's fighting a losing battle.
They could tell the government they'll do it then drag their feet for years saying it's impossible.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

They want Apple to create a way for it to be decrypted by removing the safety by someone else, which is even more nefarious than telling Apple to decrypt it. If they were to decrypt 1 device is one thing but telling them to remove the safety then hand it over is even worse. Handing over a technology to a bunch of political appointees? Who oversees them? More political appointees.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
What happened to the FBI? I thought they had people working for them and the NSA that would easily crack into devices like this...and wouldn't need to get the help of companies like apple or anyone else.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
What happened to the FBI? I thought they had people working for them and the NSA that would easily crack into devices like this...and wouldn't need to get the help of companies like apple or anyone else.
Encryption isn't easy to crack.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
They could tell the government they'll do it then drag their feet for years saying it's impossible.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
That won't fly. Apple wrote the code and they can reverse or remove it.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
256bit encryption would take them decades to crack using every single pc in the country. The easiest way is to guess pin code to unlock it which removes encryption all together. Problem is, Apple has a safety features which delays each entry by hours after certain amount of wrong entries and after 10 entries it wipes all data from the phone.
If those two features were removed/disabled fbi would unlock devices in hours if not minutes.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
256bit encryption would take them decades to crack using every single pc in the country. The easiest way is to guess pin code to unlock it which removes encryption all together. Problem is, Apple has a safety features which delays each entry by hours after certain amount of wrong entries and after 10 entries it wipes all data from the phone.
If those two features were removed/disabled fbi would unlock devices in hours if not minutes.
I'll look for the article when I get time but I read somewhere on Yahoo News about the local police causing the quagmire on the phone in question but were successful at guessing the lock code on the other.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><