Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I just read that story. I say good for Tim Cook for standing up to the govt and telling them no. Unfortunately Google/Android can't say the same. It's a fine line but one I think we as the general public, shouldn't allow the govt to cross.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I just read that story. I say good for Tim Cook for standing up to the govt and telling them no. Unfortunately Google/Android can't say the same. It's a fine line but one I think we as the general public, shouldn't allow the govt to cross.
I am really torn on how I feel on this... On one hand I feel good about Apple standing up for the privacy of their customer... However on the other hand I feel as though if you murder someone than you surrender all of your rights to privacy...

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I am really torn on how I feel on this... On one hand I feel good about Apple standing up for the privacy of their customer... However on the other hand I feel as though if you murder someone than you surrender all of your rights to privacy...
Same here.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
it's amusing... here on a place where tech nerds actually know their stuff most people understand EXACTLY why apple is doing this.

and honestly YES!!! thank you, this is one of the first things I've ever liked apple for doing.

I was reading this earlier online and in the comments so many morons saying that if apple made it they can break it... blah blah throw Tim Cook in jail etc etc.

just because they developed the software that encrypts the data does not mean they can decrypt it... that's the entire point of encryption

Yes, however that's an EXTREMELY slippery slope, once they've created that back door, if they even can, where does it stop? next thing you know cops will be demanding to look through your phone for routine traffic stops.

Besides they don't need the data from the phone at this point it's just the icing on the cake, they know 100% that it was him.

I also saw someone say... "Why can't apple do it? Hackers got into iCloud last year" yeah... through the celebs personal accounts... come on.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's a slippery slope indeed and I'm torn about how to feel as well. I've got nothing to hide, but that doesn't mean that I don't value my privacy. I saw some clips of the Republican candidates talking about this issue this morning on the Today Show as I was getting ready for work. Not to get this into a political discussion, but from the little that I saw, they don't get it at all. One of them did concede that there's a fine line between protecting privacy and aiding the FBI, but I don't think they understand exactly what Cook has said. Making something that can unlock this one phone doesn't just work for this ONE phone.

Also, Apple's not completely alone in their stance...
Google’s CEO just sided with Apple in the encryption debate
Microsoft offers tepid support for Apple's battle with FBI

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Once convicted yes. Even when a smoking gun and confession are present, until convicted Americans have the same rights to privacy as non offenders.
This is a very slippery slope indeed that was not specifically covered in the constitution, falling into the gray area of the overall moral compass of the nation. I applaud Apple for making a stand while at the same time being sickened that the need to ever came up.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
You have a point but I agree with @mountainbikermark , and what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Unfortunately in America that is not the case so much anymore. Once you are held in jail on charges that innocent until proven guilty is no longer applicable. I have seen it first hand many many times.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
What does the Patriot Act have to due with innocent until proved guilty?
Everything. They can trace every step you make electronically. You're not Innocent until proven guilty anymore. We are all suspects and have to prove our innocence. Remember that your innocent in a court of law. Counter Terrorism efforts aren't under any courts, they are not subject to our rights. If it's about National Security, you get a trip to Gitmo.

Perhaps one of the biggest controversies involved the use of National Security Letters (NSLs) by the FBI. Because they allow the FBI to search telephone, email, and financial records without a court order,
Tell me how that doesn't have anything to due with innocent until proven guilty.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Everything. They can trace every step you make electronically. You're not Innocent until proven guilty anymore. We are all suspects and have to prove our innocence. Remember that your innocent in a court of law. Counter Terrorism efforts aren't under any courts, they are not subject to our rights. If it's about National Security, you get a trip to Gitmo.

Tell me how that doesn't have anything to due with innocent until proven guilty.
BUT: Section 215 of the law was amended to stop the National Security Agency from continuing its mass phone data collection program. Instead, phone companies will retain the data and the NSA can obtain information about targeted individuals with permission from a federal court.

What they are looking for is evidence to prove guilt.