Apple Adds Google Now to Samsung Lawsuits; Claims it Violates Siri Patents

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
siri-vs-google-now.jpg

Despite the fact that Google Now in other forms has been out longer than Siri, it looks like Apple has added the service to its long list of lawsuits against Samsung, referring specifically to the Google Now functionality on the Galaxy S4. Here's a quote with some additional detail,

Apple has updated an earlier lawsuit filed against Samsung with claims that the Galaxy S4 and its Google Now feature violate two Apple patents covering functions of its own virtual personal assistant, Siri. Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents relayed news of the updated complaint on Wednesday, and he noted that two of the patents — U.S. Patent 8,086,604, and U.S. Patent 6,846,959 — cover technologies related to Siri. Both filings describe a “universal interface for retrieval of information in a computer system.” Apple also added three more patents to its earlier complaint that are not related to Siri, according to the report.

As you can see, Apple is up to its old tricks again. It's interesting that they are targeting Google Now on the SGS4, but not going after Google in the courts directly. Perhaps it's just a publicity stunt to convince people Apple had voice search and assistance first, even though it had been on Android for quite a bit longer. At this point it almost looks like Apple's lawyers are simply throwing stuff at the wall to see what they can get to stick.

Source: BGR

dfcfu342

Reaction score
"Universal interface for the retrieval of information in a computer system."

So they're suing Google (indirectly) for creating a search and retrieval system? Pretty sure Google was "retrieving information in a computer system" long before Apple even envisioned the IPhone let alone Siri.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
(Yawn) last year apple spent too much time suing and less time innovating and they got their butts handed to them. They now have Apple fans running to the Samsung side. I have an idea apple just shut up and build.
Wait I know they can't bully Samsung like they did other companies where they take their ideas slap it on an i product and market the heck out of it so everyone believes the idea was Apple's all along. Samsung stood up and punched the bully in the mouth and I guess apple is now crying foul. Far as I am concerned idon'tgiveacare. Samsung keep doing your thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

RyanPm40

Reaction score
siri-vs-google-now.jpg

Despite the fact that Google Now in other forms has been out longer than Siri, it looks like Apple has added the service to its long list of lawsuits against Samsung, referring specifically to the Google Now functionality on the Galaxy S4. Here's a quote with some additional detail,

As you can see, Apple is up to its old tricks again. It's interesting that they are targeting Google Now on the SGS4, but not going after Google in the courts directly. Perhaps it's just a publicity stunt to convince people Apple had voice search and assistance first, even though it had been on Android for quite a bit longer. At this point it almost looks like Apple's lawyers are simply throwing stuff at the wall to see what they can get to stick.

Source: BGR

I thought they can never go after Google about android features because it's open source?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Of course Apple's goal all along is to try to sue Google..... They just beating around the bush about it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The suits gave Samsung a lot of free advertising that ended up helping Samsung sales. Perhaps in their desperation they are hoping it'll increase awareness about Siri that'll turn into sales for Apple? Either that or, just like with their devices, they've run out of new ideas.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jseah

Reaction score
I thought they can never go after Google about android features because it's open source?

That's because damages from patent infringement suits are usually based on revenues from the infringing product. With Google giving Android away for free, the damages would be zero.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's because damages from patent infringement suits are usually based on revenues from the infringing product. With Google giving Android away for free, the damages would be zero.

Not necessarily, depending on how revenues from ads/search/apps factor in.

But there must be more to the patent. I'm pretty sure "a universal interface" won't survive prior art. Heck, it's basically the Star Trek comm.