Apple a little scared of Big Red?

RosarioM

Reaction score
Apple just released two new commercials today touting the fact that on AT&T, you can do both voice and data at the same time:

New Apple iPhone Commercials Take on Verizon Anti-AT&T Ads | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD

First, this is the sure indication that Apple sees Verizon and the Droid as a serious threat. If not, they could afford to ignore the Verizon commercials.

Second, really Apple? Voice AND Data on the AT&T network?? You are lucky if you can get one Edge bar in most of the country.... and when you do get 3g, it's so congested you don't get any data at all...

Sleeve

Reaction score
At this point, it's all about getting claims that are (1) true and (2) bigger on the air in a hurry to fight an ad campaign that has been planned for months and caught the Death Star off guard.

However, it's now fairly safe to say Verizon users can kiss Apple good bye. If Apple was going to launch on Verizon, their agency would have shoved that retort over to att.

OP
RosarioM

RosarioM

Reaction score
At this point, it's all about getting claims that are (1) true and (2) bigger on the air in a hurry to fight an ad campaign that has been planned for months and caught the Death Star off guard.

However, it's now fairly safe to say Verizon users can kiss Apple good bye. If Apple was going to launch on Verizon, their agency would have shoved that retort over to att.

I don't know about that. These ads could be Verizon and Apple bargaining. Verizon says "we don't need the iPhone, we have the Droid" and refuse to give Apple all the subsidies they want. Apple can come back and say "we don't need your network, it can't do voice and data at the same time..."

nate94gt

Reaction score
thats great and all..... but have you tried using edge? Doesnt work very well. Also, the speaker on the iphone is not much of a speaker. So that in itself doesnt work, either. FAIL.
I still love my iphone, dont get me wrong, it was a great phone, but now it makes a great touch. Its interesting to be on both sides of the fence.

Redls1bird

Reaction score
Second, really Apple? Voice AND Data on the AT&T network?? You are lucky if you can get one Edge bar in most of the country.... and when you do get 3g, it's so congested you don't get any data at all...

If I was on Verizons ad council I would flaunt both the lack of 3g coverage and the recent defeat in the courts with a new map:

theresamapforthat.jpg

Sleeve

Reaction score
I think it's funny that Apple won't take the stab that CDMA isn't global. There's actually a point at which even Apple realizes they'd sound too elitist.

Droider

Reaction score
Apple is of course still on an exclusive contract with ATT so they'll probably do what they need to in order to boost sales now.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Apple might wait till more 4G LTE rolls out on Verizon in the next year or two so that they can they can eventually release a Verizon iPhone that does voice and data.

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
Verizon finally had an ad campaign which outdid AT&T / Apple and stuck it to them good. I still crack-up at just the thought of the "Land of Useless Toys" ad where the iPhone comes wondering in and throws up the AT&T map. Yesterday, while watching football, AT&T counters with a pathetic ad with some dude throwing postcards around a map of the U.S. trying to show they work all over the place too--they just didn't mention it was in 3G or not.

At any rate, it's fun to see the companies poke at each other. Me, as a consumer, is really happy with Verizon / Google / Motorola's offering in the DROID.

- Mega

pyrofreak

Reaction score
i think its great in the commerials all the cities he lists off are MAJOR CITIES my girlfriend has att and it sucks something bad i hope Verizon never sells out and gets an iphone we are a droid network now and thats the way it needs to stay Idont want apple on Verizon