Apparent GPS Failure

jaymeangreen

Reaction score
Well mine just locked on to multiple satellites (I checked with GPS Status app) about an hour ago, and it's still locked on even though I'm inside the house. I'm just wondering if anyone else who was having a problem in Florida suddenly saw their GPS wake up around the same time. If so, it would point to something with the network and not an individual hardware issue on the phones themselves.

i looked at mine and no luck. when mine does connect i always think to myself ,is it really going to work this time LOL. so far the answer has been no. Well i hope today is your day Mark. let us know if keeps working

MarkB

Reaction score
Thanks, it's been on and off in the house. I left it by the window and it's on and off there too. I dunno, pretty frustrating. Combined with my borderline Verizon reception in my house, it just may be on the way to a return. That's why I'm not 100% pushing the GPS repair issue at this point, still testing general connectivity too.

dirtleg

Reaction score
I live in Brandon Florida...GPS has never worked here. Worked once when I drove to Pinellas Park. Then worked today in downtown Tampa about 2 PM. Had 11 satellites. Went in a building came back out 30 min later and couldn't get a lock on any satellites. This HAS to be some sort of tower issue I think. I'm a former Alltel customer and this was the explanation the store guy gave me. Don't think it's entirely that though. So frustrating...I had a ticket made in Verizon tech support. Hopefully everyone is so they have record of all this occurring. Also....my phone was ordered from PA so not a local purchase by any means. Came directly from Verizon...44/09 batch.

jcaryhobbs

Reaction score
I live on Oregon- a long way from Florida! So here's my experience. For the last few days, no luck with GPS working. I has installed the GPS/wifi/bluetooth toggle widgit. Today i installed GPS test. I would see multiple satellites "in view" but no satelites 'in use". The result was that my position on google maps was at least a mile off (most likely based on trying to use the wireless signal). I saw a post on this discussion about the toggle widgit potentially causing GPS problems so I trashed it and restarted the phone. IMMEDIATE FIX! I not have perfect signal, accurate location and 9 satellites working- inside the house. If you have a GPS toggle widget of any kind, remove it immediately.

dirtleg

Reaction score
I had that widget as well. Removed it and have done a factory reset and removal of ALL apps not standard on the phone. Still no signal. But I know it works as it has before. I think this has to be a Verizon issue as most of the posters here are from Florida as well as on other boards across the internet. I have called Verizon again and they say they are looking into it. For touting this capability there seems to be a lot of problems with it :(

PetrolHead

Reaction score
I'm in Southern California and mine won't lock onto GPS at all. Sometimes it will, but those moments are fleeting. I just get an error that says "your current location is temporarily unavailable". I wonder if my phone is defective or in need of a factory reset? It was working fine when I first got it, but now nothing.

TamL17

Reaction score
Needs a Fix

The fact there there are 9 pages so far on navigation issues says that there needs to be a fix for this. I have 22 days to decide if I am sticking with this phone and this is a deal breaker for me.

I am in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and the GPS worked great for about a week--yesterday I started to get the "searching for GPS" error and haven't had it working since. I have tried every fix listed in this and other forums with no luck.

I have also been experiencing some lock ups, so I may just need to swap out this unit--again. :mad:

darreno1

Reaction score
Just checking, but the people with issues are definitely outside or have a clear view of the sky right?

Knock on pixels, I've been testing it everyday trying to see if it will fail at least once, but so far it's locked on everytime.

Inundated

Reaction score
OK, someone tell me why the GPS thinks I am in Southern Wisconsin instead of Northeast Ohio?!?

Shut off GPS tracking...back home (tracking via phone network). Turn it back on, back to Wisconsin.

Is this another "software rounding" bug like the camera auto focus? It (GPS) worked without a hitch until about three days ago. Will it start working again in 14 days or so? :)

jaymeangreen

Reaction score
Just checking, but the people with issues are definitely outside or have a clear view of the sky right?

Knock on pixels, I've been testing it everyday trying to see if it will fail at least once, but so far it's locked on everytime.

the funny thing is ,when it does work, ( very ,very rarely) it doesnt matter whether im in my house or outside it connects instantly.when it doesnt work , i could stand outside on a clear day ,all day long ,and still get nothing. there IS A REAL ISSUE HERE.

Inundated

Reaction score
Oddly enough, on the way back home, the same way, it worked perfectly. Same route back home that I took to get to the shopping center.

I can understand locking issues or such. I can't understand how a GPS can place your physical location five states and hundreds of miles off.

And yes, before anyone asks, clear skies, outside, view of the sky. It's not like we're trying these inside basements!!!

Inundated

Reaction score
Is there anyone, in any Droid-related site or forum or whatnot, speaking to this issue other than occasional complaints? You know, who might know what's going on.

PetrolHead

Reaction score

the funny thing is ,when it does work, ( very ,very rarely) it doesnt matter whether im in my house or outside it connects instantly.when it doesnt work , i could stand outside on a clear day ,all day long ,and still get nothing. there IS A REAL ISSUE HERE.

That's right. I did a factory reset on my phone, and the GPS is working now...knock on wood. It works perfectly indoors or out...we'll see how long it lasts...

darreno1

Reaction score
I wonder if there are slight differences in the builds? This almost seems like something a firmware update will fix.

My Droid's info:

Firmware: 2.0
Baseband: C_01.3B.01P
Kernel Version: 2.6.29
Build: ESD20

thestappa

Reaction score
That's right. I did a factory reset on my phone, and the GPS is working now...knock on wood. It works perfectly indoors or out...we'll see how long it lasts...

I'll have to try that. My GPS worked great when I first got the phone. I ended up downloading one of the GPS toggle switches and don't think it's worked since.

I wasn't aware of the built in Battery Control widget when I downloaded the GPS toggle app.

My location is west of Seattle (Kitsap County).