Apparent GPS Failure

Ted

Reaction score
Very stange problems you're having. I can walk from my bedroom to the kitchen and watch my position update on Google Maps after about a five second delay. I can literally watch my indicator move around my house on the satellite picture. Very accurate (usually within about 8 to 10 feet) and very quick (usually within 5 to 10 seconds).

OP
Narsil

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm in Dover, FL (I-75 and I-4) and after the GPS on the second Droid was working fine yesterday, today after lunch it decided it had had enough and hasn't connected since. :icon_evil:

jaymeangreen

Reaction score
Very stange problems you're having. I can walk from my bedroom to the kitchen and watch my position update on Google Maps after about a five second delay. I can literally watch my indicator move around my house on the satellite picture. Very accurate (usually within about 8 to 10 feet) and very quick (usually within 5 to 10 seconds).

but if your phone wont connect to gps you cant do that

summerfieldjason

Reaction score
Live in Fishawk, about 20 miles east of tampa. Very close to Dover. Did you get your 2nd Droid from the Brandon Mall Store as well. I am hoping that maybe if enough people come in they might do something. Have you talked to the store again yet??

darreno1

Reaction score
I'm in S.Florida and so far have had no issues locking to satellites when outside. I'll post if I notice anything strange.

OP
Narsil

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been dealing with the Plant City store off SR39; they're usually not as busy as the Brandon store. I drove to Ft. Myers today and no GPS until about a half-hour from home it suddenly pops back on and has worked since.

It'll probably go back out tomorrow...:mad:

jaymeangreen

Reaction score
I've been dealing with the Plant City store off SR39; they're usually not as busy as the Brandon store. I drove to Ft. Myers today and no GPS until about a half-hour from home it suddenly pops back on and has worked since.

It'll probably go back out tomorrow...:mad:

hope you have better luck than i did, mine worked last night but today no go.

Erich_F

Reaction score
Wow, lots of interesting posts here. I live in Odessa, FL, just north of Tampa. I bought a Droid from the Wesley Chapel VZW store. Everything worked great until I walked into Best Buy the next afternoon. When I left the Best Buy, I wanted to nav to a nearby VZW store in Citrus Park. The Map said "Searching for GPS". Having used GPS ever since the Garmin GPS55 handheld aviation unit came out, I left it on the dash until I got to the VZW store. It never got a fix. I use the "Tricorder" trekie app to monitor the GPS engine. I had 7-8 sats and no fix, no data. I spent an hour pulling the battery, turning this and that on/off...nothing worked. I went into the VZW store and explained the situation...they'd never heard of the issue before. They gave me a new phone without question. I walked out the store, and the new phone worked perfectly.

It's been working fine ever since. I'm wondering if there's a batch of Droids out there that have bad GPS units?

Does anyone know what GPS engine is in these things? My guess would be uBlox or Rockwell.

cgunn82

Reaction score
Im having the same issue it just continuously searches for satellites. This is annoying.

jaymeangreen

Reaction score
bad part is i bet i saw 3 commercials last night about the gps navigation. " does your phone have turn by turn voice navigation? Droid does " i wanted to throw my phone at the TV. my droid DOESNT

jaymeangreen

Reaction score
today is a " good day" with my droid. my gps is working. these moments are far and few between lol

EDIT well it was nice while it worked for 20 minutes. back to nothing

Last edited:

lamarbrantley

Reaction score
Try one thing, turn off the GPS function on the phone. Turn it off, then back on, then put the GPS back on and see what happens.

Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately it didn't work.
I did the factory reset, it worked... for about 5 seconds, and I was quickly returned to the small Indian village I apparently inhabit.
Phone was connected via wifi at the time, I feel like this is important.

There are a few variables in my situation, and otherwise the phone is quickly becoming my bff, so I am doing to try not get ocd over it and see what happens. :wink:
I have the same problem and have been through 2 droids so far. Finally got a straight answer from a tech support connection my sales rep had. If you are a former Alltel customer who is now verizon (even if you switch to a verizon plan), you will NOT be able to connect with the GPS. They do not have an estimated fix date yet but are opening support tickets for all who call in.