Apparent GPS Failure

spikejnz

Reaction score
I work for a major GPS manufacturer (if you look at my location, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out) and what you're describing is standard operation for any GPS device out there. Basically, the device needs to get an initial positioning fix. Since this has obviously never been done before, it can take some time to get the initial fix. After that time, assuming that you haven't kept the GPS off for a long time or haven't traveled a long distance with the GPS off, the almanac data should allow the device to acquire sats rather quickly.

biggestmexi

Reaction score
Im on my second droid due to improperly working GPS.

i picked it up sat (the second one) and it still works.

It kept saying i was in ohio (when it DID pick up satellites) and moving to boot

OP
Narsil

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try a hard reset.

I did that last night with no change in functionality.

...what you're describing is standard operation for any GPS device out there. Basically, the device needs to get an initial positioning fix. Since this has obviously never been done before, it can take some time to get the initial fix. After that time, assuming that you haven't kept the GPS off for a long time or haven't traveled a long distance with the GPS off, the almanac data should allow the device to acquire sats rather quickly.

How many minutes should I leave the phone on, sitting on the back porch, before I should assume the GPS is non-functional rather than just needing its first fix.

I'm willing to give it a shot to avoid having to swap it out. The several times I've tried, I've given up after about five minutes.

beaker45

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the GPS issues. Mine works great, and in a head to head against my Garmin 265 it was flawless. It is a great feature (obviously when it is working). Google Navigation is also great, as is the voice searching. Droid is the best phone I've ever owned or used.

spikejnz

Reaction score
With our devices, we usually suggest between 15-30 minutes. There are numerous factors that could be playing into acquisition issues...too many scenarios to list out here. One thing I would suggest is to download GPSTest and see how many satellites you are receiving data from.

OP
Narsil

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
With our devices, we usually suggest between 15-30 minutes. There are numerous factors that could be playing into acquisition issues...too many scenarios to list out here. One thing I would suggest is to download GPSTest and see how many satellites you are receiving data from.

Is GPSTest "GPS Status?"

I'll leave it out for a half-hour tonight and see if it self-rectifies the problem. I've already used GPS Status and sometimes it will see the satellites but the GPS won't lock onto any of them (0/8 sats). Other times, I just get the whirling circle of "please wait, I'm busy" and it doesn't even show anything below the radar screen until I give up and stop.

mike1655

Reaction score
gps test

I am having a heck of a time with the satellites as well. I am on the third phone and 8th rep. I am gonna try to use the gps test app. where does the number of found satellites show up on the screen?

OP
Narsil

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
In the GPS Test app, if you don't see a radar-looking screen, press the radar screen icon at the bottom of the screen. In the top left, you will see "In View" with a number below it. That is the number of satellites the GPS "sees." In the top right, you will see "In Use" with a number below it. That is the number of satellites the GPS is actually using to fix its position. The larger the number, the more accurate your location is (usually, there's other things going on also).

fupher

Reaction score
I'm willing to give it a shot to avoid having to swap it out. The several times I've tried, I've given up after about five minutes.
Hey! I've got good news and bad news. I drove back to Atlanta today and about 2 hours into the trip, in the Bushnell area, I noticed that the phone displayed the correct weather/location, went to google maps and it was correct as well, and it's worked perfectly since. :icon_ banana:
Also, I went to Verizon again yesterday and they swapped out my phone but the problem continued, so it's not a device issue.

The bad part is I still don't know what it is and it appears to be regional and since you live there... :frown: You should take a drive over to Bushnell and see if it works, haha!

mike1655

Reaction score
Gps

I live in SW florida. yesterday I came out to california and the problem is finally resolved. GPS working fine. Weird since the guys at verizon had no issues with their phones in florida.

fupher

Reaction score
I live in SW florida. yesterday I came out to california and the problem is finally resolved. GPS working fine. Weird since the guys at verizon had no issues with their phones in florida.

Ooh, it will be interesting to see what happens when you go back to FL.
I wonder if they're in denial or maybe it's a cover up! hehe!

OP
Narsil

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I spent an hour and a half in the store this morning because they swapped out my phone and the new one had the exact same problem. The guy spent nearly an hour on the phone with tech support, finally with a Droid "expert" and the final conclusion was they (Verizon, not the guy at the store) would not swap out that phone for a new one until 24 hours had passed to make sure it wasn't a problem with the GPS activating for the first time.

An hour and a half after that, the GPS started working and has worked for the rest of the afternoon. Hopefully, it continues to work. :)

summerfieldjason

Reaction score
gps issues

I have also had all the same problems. I am on my second droid now. It worked from the store to work. Left work and couldn't get a signal again. I love the phone but this is a little bit of a pain.

jaymeangreen

Reaction score

Ooh, it will be interesting to see what happens when you go back to FL.
I wonder if they're in denial or maybe it's a cover up! hehe!

i live in sw fl also and was having the same problem until this afternoon when it suddenly started to work. ive had the phone for 3 days now

summerfieldjason

Reaction score
Same problem. Live in Florida. On my second Droid. Both of them worked once and never worked again. Always searching for satelitte. Have done a total reset and no luck. At least i love the phone because I can't spend another 2.5 hours at the Verizon store for them to give me a new phone and the same thing happen again.