APP2SD in CM6.1.2 not working ?

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by plenoz, Dec 23, 2010.

1. plenoz

plenoz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have new SD card with ransfer rate 5mbps

currently i'm using CM6.1.2
    I'm using rom manager to format the memory card,
    go to menu partition SD card and i chose Ext Size 512 Mb, and i set for swap the maximum size in the menu (256 maybe i'm not sure.

i try to move some application to SD and running well just need few sec.

but what i'm curious is why every i installed appl the internal memory decreased with big amount size ( already mov eit to sd, it should anly take few space from internal memory)
    and if i check in Titanium backup there information for =

- Intenal memory (which the capacity always decreased after installed app)
    - SD card
    - sdcard a2p

what i'm asking is for the latest information (SDCARD a2sd) has size information , and this allocation never reduce / decreased.

Please i need your advice, whether app2sd in my phone not working ? do i need to running script like firerat / darktremor ?
    am i missing some setting ?

thanks before

2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm about 80% sure what you're asking. :)

Even apps that can be moved to SD card require some data stored on internal memory. Depending on the app it will be minuscule or huge.

3. plenoz

plenoz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the fast response

ok i give up, i want to be honest to you *just to you ;)

i want to increase internal memory in my DROID1 i'm too jealous of other droid which have huge internal capacity.

please tell me how to do that :D

4. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    I think the apps2sd app in the market will let you move more stuff than the built-in apps2sd feature (but it helps if you tell the feature it can move everything -- protected apps and system apps still won't go, but it'll help). Unfortunately there isn't much you can do with the 256MB internal memory other than frequent wipes and moving everything you can to the SD card.

Whoever designed the D1 wasn't thinking very hard about storage, let me tell you! :)

If it helps, we have a bigger SD card. ;) IIRC you can't store anything from external devices on the internal memory, so that means we can store more music from our computers, things like that.

5. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What you've done is called "apps2fat". It's a standard feature in Android 2.2 (Froyo), which means it's also included in CM6. Repartitioning your SD card did nothing for you but waste 512mb. If you look in /sd-ext, you'll see that it's completely empty!

Apps2fat uses some (a lot, IMO) of internal memory even for apps that are "installed to SD". An app like Flash, for example, takes up ~15mb, and will still take up 8mb of internal storage even when it's installed to the SD card. Additionally, apps that have widgets or live wallpaper cannot be installed to SD in this way.

Apps2sdext, is different. It uses that extra partition on the SD card to fool the phone into thinking that it is installing an app internally when it is actually being installed to the SD card. This feature is not natively supported by CM6, but it can be enabled using the scripts you mentioned. It's not for the faint of heart, though - setting it up can be a bit of a headache and you really need to know what you're doing.

6. plenoz

plenoz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks all for your attn & for the explanation.

this is what i need to know :) i'll findout for the app2sdext.

but i have another q, if CM only support app2sdfat why in cyanogenmod options theres feature for partitioning sd card to ext & swap partition ?

7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Two Reasons:

First, apps2sdext was supported in CM5 (but not CM6)

Second, It's not in CyanogenMod options - it's in ROM Manager and ClockworkMod Recovery - both of which are not exclusive to CyanogenMod (It's confusing that CyanogenMod and ClockworkMod Recovery are both abbreviated as CM and both developed by Koush - but they are not exclusive to eachother.)

8. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    I always abbreviate Clockwork Recovery as CW.

There's also the whole "swap" thing Linux does.

Search tags for this page

app2sd cm6

firerat's script apps2sd