App won't reinstall or go away--annoying

cfclark

Reaction score
I have an issue with the Foursquare app constantly trying to update itself. Whenever I get updates (of any app, not necessarily Foursquare) and go into the Market to download and install them, Foursquare tries to automatically download and update itself as well. If I cancel the download, Market crashes and I have to force-close it. I have tried uninstalling Foursquare via Settings, and it still tries to update itself (although I can't actually use it, having uninstalled it). I've tried going back to the Market and reinstalling it, but then I end up crashing Market again during the attempted download. I am not attached to the app itself, I just want it either gone and not updating itself or back and not updating itself every time I touch another update.

This issue has gone on for a while and is not causing any serious issues, but I would like it cleaned up. I do have root access to my phone now, so if there's a way to go in and manually yank Foursquare out, I'd love to know. Any suggestions?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Have you tried clearing data/cache for the market?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
MY suggestion too! Daaaang Spaz!! ;)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

antron007

Reaction score
I had this problem with another app.

Try long pressing on foursquare and the option to cancel it should come up.

That way you don't have to clear the cache.

Sorry spaz but this way is less intrusive :) clear the cache if my suggestion don't work.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If that works for you good deal, but clearing the data and cache for the marketplace isn't something i'd call intrusive.

OP
cfclark

cfclark

Reaction score

Any long-term consequences to doing this, for the stuff I do want to keep?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No long term issues. You will retain all of your apps. You will lose your search history in the marketplace and have to accept the licensing agreement again but that's about all you'll notice.

OP
cfclark

cfclark

Reaction score
No long term issues. You will retain all of your apps. You will lose your search history in the marketplace and have to accept the licensing agreement again but that's about all you'll notice.

OK, looks good (and should have been obvious, actually...d'oh!). Thanks for the tip.

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Do you have the app set to auto update? I ran into this issue after deleting battery pro Droid without deselecting the auto update.

Sent from my D1 on UD @ 1.2Ghz