App Wars: Skyfire vs Dolphin Browser HD

Reaction score
I just downloaded Dolphin Browser HD last night and boy is it pretty. It's got some nice features that Skyfire does not and even seems more stable, but sorry Dolphin, you don't do video yet, not like Skyfire does. Your zom isn't that great either. Do those well and maybe I'll give you some more love. until then, "uninstall."

nygh

Reaction score
I just downloaded Dolphin Browser HD last night and boy is it pretty. It's got some nice features that Skyfire does not and even seems more stable, but sorry Dolphin, you don't do video yet, not like Skyfire does. Your zom isn't that great either. Do those well and maybe I'll give you some more love. until then, "uninstall."

I currently have both installed....trying to decide myself, but that definitely is the war!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Standard Browser: The one that comes with the device. Basic and useable

Dolphin Browser: Was the first browser (other then stock) that I used. When it first came out it was revolutionary because it brought pinch to zoom the the droid. over the months with the updates it has been lagging. Allows Desktop, android, iphone User agent.

Xscope: Has pinch to zoom. Better UI then dolphin. The Pinch to zoom is better, has a built in task killer. Cost money.

Dolphin Browser HD: It has improved on the original Dolphin Browser alot. It is better faster and more responsive.

Skyfire: I am not empressed
My rating:

1) Dolphin Browser HD
1) Xscope (tied) IMO
3) Dolphin
4) Stock Browser
5) skyfire

Last edited:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dolphin HD is a godsend. I like to open a lot of tabs and have them load in the background. Dolphin hd handles this more smoothly than anything I've tried. Still, I have about 6 browsers installed in the hopes that an update will come along for one of them that'll push it to the top. But honestly, I don't think it can get much better than dolphin hd. I have no complaints anyway.

1)dolphin hd - no complaints
2)dolphin - quirky but very good
3)xscope - strange, laggy, choppy, rendering bugs
4)steel - needs an update. No pinch zoom?
5)skyfire - beta, videos are flaky, not the best when it comes to multiple windows
6)opera - fast! Very promising but buggy beta
7)stock - no tabs? Can't permanently set user agent

jgumphress

Reaction score
I tried Dolphin HD but too many times when I would try toclick on a link in a web page it would not open. I had to hold the link until I got the options pop-up then select open. Then they updated and took away the YouTube download feature. That was enough for me to un-install it.

Tojus

Reaction score
I have dolphin HD installed but I never use. Nothing has come close imo to the stock browser. Dolphin HD has allot of quirks that I can't stand compared to the stock browser. Havnt even tried the other options since everyone compares everything to Dolphins browser and it still needs critical updates imo, such as automatically hiding the address bar since it takes up so much screen real estate.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hm, I haven't seen the "no click" problem but I've only been using it for a few days. The address bar thing too, I don't know what you mean. I'm using dolphin hd right now and my ENTIRE screen is taken up by this web page. Some of hd's default settings are not to my liking. Maybe that's the difference:

Full screen CHECKED
Open page in overview UNCHECKED
Auto-fit pages CHECKED
User agent DESKTOP

issues636

Reaction score
I personally use(d) stock up until reading this thread. I never bothered to download Dolphin HD, and the only reason I got Skyfire was for hulu and atdhe.net streaming. I personally can't stand Skyfire (the windowed browsing is horrible) so I was using stock browser unless I absolutely had to stream flash. I just downloaded Dolphin HD after seeing this thread (just to try it out) and in the 10 minutes I used it, it's amazing. I'm in love with the tabbed browsing, the pinch to zoom is amazing, and I personally love the green theme it comes with.

lterry913

Reaction score
does the pinch to zoom auto fit text to page on dolphin...i had it for awhile and then 2.1 came out and dolphin wouldn't auto fit text to page anymore when zooming...very annoying.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
does the pinch to zoom auto fit text to page on dolphin...i had it for awhile and then 2.1 came out and dolphin wouldn't auto fit text to page anymore when zooming...very annoying.

No it doesn't. Didn't notice til now. I guess my default zoom level has been ok for me when reading text. I usually don't do much zooming. I know of 2 workarounds though:

1) rotate phone and it will layout the page again

OR

2) zoom to desired level and doubletap to relayout at that zoom level

This may not be a bug. Often when I zoom it's to see a picture. Changing the text layout can sometimes throw stuff off and get frustrating so I think I like the way it works. Never had a problem with it anyway.

Last edited:

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Dolphin HD is fast and has great features. Yea it is kinda cool that SkyFire does some flash video bjut I felt like it was like a drunk stock browser in terms of functions and navigation... ill wait for the real deal flash 10 and just use Dolphin HD for now... its so slick... (just wish I could theme it myself, tried to rip apart the APK, edit, and resign... but won't install arrrrg)

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
About the only thing I DON'T like about Dolphin HD is the horribly ugly themes.

Right! I can't even complain about that because I love the app so much. I'm browsing with it hours every day and it is a pleasure.

It's frickin' great! I found another thing I like about it today. When you longpress a link (like to choose to open it in a new tab), the menu that pops up is transparent. You can see through the menu and make sure that the link you're clicking is the proper one as it will be highlighted. Very useful if you're clicking on links that are close together like page numbers in a forum.

I don't know these dolphin people, I have nothing to gain from promoting their browser, I'm just super pleased with it at this point and I want to spread the love and encourage others to give it a whirl.

Dolphin HD...ahhhhhhh....

armeddroid

Reaction score
Dolphin HD and Stock for me.
Not impressed with Skyfire. Nice to have options for certain videos but thas the only thing i see thats worth my attn on Skyfire.
IMO, Stock and Opera are the fastest browsers right now.
Xscope is good but..not a fan of the setup.

I really do like the idea of APP WARS
We need to have more of these threads for strong debates to help us filter out crappy apps.