App updates

Discussion in 'Motorola DROID Turbo 2' started by 94lt1, Feb 4, 2016.

1. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    I'm really glad that I have unlimited data..because I swear some apps update way too often and chew through data that they shouldn't. As much as the carriers are wanting to stop unlimited, I just find it like a bad mechanic...bring in your ride and always hear that you need to clean your fuel injectors ..or chose any of several other ripoff services.

What if you only had a few gigs of data on your line..I'm thinking seniors that have smartphones only because their kids say..you can see pics of lil Jimmy with this...ugh..it wouldn't be so bad if all the updates were pretty small..but the Facebook app updates are always fairly good sized.....anyhow just a thought..

2. Miller6386

Miller6386 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Twitter:
    CoreyFMiller
    I was going to start a thread on this today also... I have noticed the last few months I get the same update for the same apps on the same device a few days in a row... IE Tapatalk and Textra. Update Weds night no issue. Get up Thursday morning Play Store shows another update for those apps. Check update version and the version on my phone and they match. I took screenshots of it... Not sure what is going on but it does drive me nuts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,117
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    I have never had auto update turned on in the Play Store App, but I used to always have Notify Me When Updates Are Available turned on, until recently. I am tired of constant app update notifications for apps that work good the way they are now. Now I manually check My Apps about once a week and selectively update based on the Whats New section.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,379
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Mine is set to auto update, but only over WiFi.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like Like x 1
  5. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    But even then ..not all WiFi is unlimited.. So you're burning extra data to update the same dang app..2 times..or a week a part...that's just ridiculous...especially Facebook.. They get the app to work..then there's an update and they break it..??????

6. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,379
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Home is just about the only WiFi I connect to regularly & I have no cap there, but I get your point.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,117
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    I have not updated Tapatalk in about a year. I like the version I am using now and do not want any of their new updates.

• Like Like x 2
  8. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    They screwed up tt pretty good about 6 months ago..but have gotten it better since.

• Like Like x 1
  9. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    I have UD and never auto update apps. I've been burnt too many times by an update that completely ruined the user experience for me. Maybe once every month or two I'll go through my apps one at a time. First I'll look at the change log to see if the update even interests me. Then I'll look through the latest reviews to said update to see what others think. If everything is on the up & up only then will I take an update. Like @sajokaz, I have a few apps I haven't updated in over a year.

S5 tap'n

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,379
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I like updates. Most of the time, I check for them before they show up. Sometimes you get a bad one. Last one I got that turned me away from the app completely was Plume for Twitter, but that was mostly because I left the beta because of the bugs & then they released the update with bugs intact.

I may have already said that in this thread, but that's really the only one I can remember. Do I always agree with changes that a Dev makes? No, but I respect their vision for their creation as long as it doesn't totally break the app.

Biggest issue I've ever had with a bad Tapatalk update is notification issues. The most recent ones have either grouped notifications on their own by default, or that's a setting that I always change & I forgot.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like Like x 1
  11. JRParsons

JRParsons Active Member

Ratings:
    +44
    IMO if a paid app makes changes that materially affects the user experience, the purchaser should be entitled to a refund or a return to a former version. Otherwise your being given 1 product while having paid for a different product.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

12. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,379
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    You always have the option to do like Sajokaz & not take an update. I've been more upset by a developer of a paid app abandoning it than changing it & working to constantly improve it, even if I don't always agree with their choices.

I paid for Plume premium when it was still owned by LevelUp Studios. They took way more pride in it than UberSocial or whoever bought it, so I kinda see your point, but to me, I pay for an app or IAP because I want to support the developer & encourage them to keep evolving the app.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like Like x 1