App to tell you the name of a song?

jpkennedy79

Reaction score
Is there an app that will listen to a song and then tell you the name of it? I've seen one for the iPhone but was hoping there was an Android one too.

thx

khelek

Reaction score
I didn't make it in time to help, but it is Shazam you're looking for, and I will say, it's one of my favorite apps. I really wish I knew how it all works.

mvezz

Reaction score
I really wish I knew how it all works.

Basically a song has many subtle nuances that to a computer, makes each song extremely unique. Shazam analyzes the sound waves, takes a 'fingerprint' of the song, compares it to their ever growing database and tells you what it matches.

From the wiki:
"The "acoustic fingerprints" used by Shazam are based on spectrograms that have been generalized to a group of peak intensity frequencies. Pairs of these peak values are compared against the main database to locate matching songs.[1] The service does work with classical music although results are sometimes a little patchy, because classical music can be played differently by many different orchestras."

Caranator

Reaction score
I've been looking for something like this - so glad I ran across this thread. I love it! I'm amazed at the obscure songs it will recognize.

artc33

Reaction score
Is there an app that will listen to a song and then tell you the name of it? I've seen one for the iPhone but was hoping there was an Android one too.

thx
SHAZAM!!!! i love this app, i've even heard the same song in different versions thinking is not the same song and shazam! plus it saves your findings, have fun with it.