App to SD fix?

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Anyone tried putting apps in their media section to see if it'll stay?

Batman8

Reaction score
Yeah...or has anyone been able to truly install their apps to their actual 16GB or 32GB SDcards yet? I mean like storing data folders on the "real" (SanDisk, Memorex, etc.) SDcards and the system still find them, instead of having to keep storing data to the 8GB of internal memory? That's all I'm concerned about as far as the new update goes..."Apps to SD???"

Last edited:

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Yeah...or has anyone been able to truly install their apps to their actual 16GB or 32GB SDcards yet? I mean like storing data folders on the "real" (SanDisk, Memorex, etc.) SDcards and the system still find them, instead of having to keep storing data to the 8GB of internal memory? That's all I'm concerned about as far as the new update goes..."Apps to SD???"

Still no way to do this as far as I can tell. But with the Media Area functioning properly now, we have 12Gb total app storage which should be more than enough. Just use sd-ext for all other file storage.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Batman8

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Unbesorgt, I hate to hear that this is still not working. I hope we don't have to wait until ICS hits, but 12GB is nothing compared to the 32GB that I was expecting from my 32GB card (or at least about 29.6GB or so after formatting). ;)

With a lot of the Gameloft and Tegra 2 game folders you need all the storage space you can get, especially if you want to also store movies and music too.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Unbesorgt, I hate to hear that this is still not working. I hope we don't have to wait until ICS hits, but 12GB is nothing compared to the 32GB that I was expecting from my 32GB card (or at least about 29.6GB or so after formatting). ;)

With a lot of the Gameloft and Tegra 2 game folders you need all the storage space you can get, especially if you want to also store movies and music too.

Sadly I believe this was a design decision by Moto rather than a bug, so it's unlikely to ever be fixed IMHO. They mounted the Media Area as "sdcard" in the OS, so apps think it's the actual sdcard instead of sd-ext. Not sure what the thinking was behind that decision but it is what it is. I'm using Google Music now so all my music files are in the cloud, which helps a lot. I have a ton of games installed including some Gameloft and others that require separate downloads, and still have plenty of free space. I agree though, in principle it sucks that Moto limited us in this way. Wonder if the Razr works like that as well?

Batman8

Reaction score
I think the Razr is set up the same way. My understanding is that it is set up this way in preparation of Ice Cream Sandwich and I can only assume that it will need this type of partitioned memory.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
I think the Razr is set up the same way. My understanding is that it is set up this way in preparation of Ice Cream Sandwich and I can only assume that it will need this type of partitioned memory.

That's interesting because the Galaxy Nexus is set up exactly the opposite -- no sdcard slot at all, and the internal storage is just one big partition as I understand it, which prevents it from being mounted in USB storage mode. Since it's the first ICS phone it would seem that partitions are not a requirement?

BTW from looking around the Razr forum it appears to be set up the same way, as you said. Maybe it's just a Moto thing. Very strange.