App to one touch silence notification while SOUND IS ALREADY PLAYING.

Casen

Reaction score
Sorry for the Caps, but I asked this question a few months back, and all I got were apps to set up profiles. I could care less about those.

I want a process running in the background that will allow me to silence an incoming notification (MMS, SMS, Email, FaceBook, Battery Low, Connected to computer, etc etc).

Example: Sitting in surprise meeting, and forgot to silence my phone. If I were to get a phone call, I can mash the hard buttons through my pants, and the ringtone goes silent, just like that. I want that functionality for a notification sound. Say, somebody sends me a text message, and for that individual i have "Bye Bye Bye" from N'Sync as their ringtone.
If that were to happen in the meeting, I would have to adjust, pull my giant phone out of my pocket, wake up the screen, unlock it, then pull down the notification bar. By the time I silenced the phone, the song would have through the second verse, and my reputation shattered.

So, if theres any apps like that, I would love to know about them.

Current phone Droid X with Liberty 1.0 ROM.

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
Anybody?

Sent from my DROIDX

KHeeney5

Reaction score
Well, I believe there is a double tap screen to silent setting in the menu... And I think you can press the sleep button twice to silence it (one to turn on, one to turn off).

Swat777

Reaction score
I've also been looking at different threads for the same thing and it seems nobody has an answer for it. My blackberry's external buttons would silence everything but with the X its a hassle to make it stop. If there was an app to solve this, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I use some pretty lengthy notification ringtones which are loud.

Just hoping for an answer as well.

musicman

Reaction score
Check out tasker. This app lets you build your own functions similar to what you are talking about. It is a very complicated app but the functionality is thru the roof. Let us know if you have any luck. Sounds like a very useful idea.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

zero7404

Reaction score
go to market and get 'battery widget'

allows independent silent, vibrate or audio.

dont expect notification functionality like a blackberry from android ... maybe another app that can simulate notification profiles

posted via android

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
go to market and get 'battery widget'

allows independent silent, vibrate or audio.

dont expect notification functionality like a blackberry from android ... maybe another app that can simulate notification profiles

posted via android

I dont know what this has to do with having the ability to mash any of the hard keys on my phone through my pants to silence a notification while its playing "Bye Bye Bye" in the middle of a meeting....?

j35u5fr34k

Reaction score
You can simply hit "volume down" on the side of your phone to silent the current incoming alert. However, it is only for the current call/alert and therefore not a permanent thing.

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
You can simply hit "volume down" on the side of your phone to silent the current incoming alert. However, it is only for the current call/alert and therefore not a permanent thing.
That only works on phone calls.. If I get an email, or picture message, it continues to play

Sent from my DROIDX

Turbod

Reaction score
This problem drove me nuts when I got my X. I have never owned a phone that you couldn't stop an alert tone by simply pushing a button, and thought I was doing something wrong or missing a setting. I eventually caved and just used the stock alert tones because they are so short. Hoping someone here has an answer because I could never find one.

piquat

Reaction score
LOL, seriously?

I looked at this thread yesterday and thought "ya, same problem, but it's so obvious that somebody will come in here with an answer".

But yet... nobody?!?!

EVERY other phone I have owned, even "dumb" phones, would shutup when you started mashing buttons.

Is this REALLY missing on the X?

Beka27

Reaction score
I use handcent pop-ups for texts, and when I get a pop-up, I can press the "x" at the top of the box to stop the sound and make the box go away. OF COURSE, this is only useful if your phone is out, screen on, BUT THEN, since your pop-up box disappears, you still have to go thru the regular messaging screen to read what was sent. Which defeats the purpose of a pop-up.

I haven't found an answer for what OP is asking. But I would be interested. Due to this issue, I have also foregone the long, musical text alert in favor of the short, simple, and to-the-point "Drrrooooiiiidddd".

Reaction score
there is an option in settings>sound to switch to vibrate during an alert by putting the phone face down. if it's face down in your pocket it, in theory, should automatically go to vibrate. at risk of sounding like a jerk, if you are that concerned about your phone going off, why not keep it on vibrate while you are at work?

Swat777

Reaction score
Maybe the droid gods will answer and fix this problem. Im sure somebody is in development of an app.

Still waiting.......