App to lock while on a call?

adriannetomas

Reaction score
cheek dialing

im having the same problem and its driving me crazy, all the great things i can do with this phone but to make a call and stay connected is almost impossible!!!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unfortunately for those concerned, the default action is for the lock screen to be 'de-activated' during a phone call.

chrisnoxid

Reaction score
I had the same problem and I found a solution. Once you're connected to the call, hit the home button to go to your homescreen. Hit the power button and it will be locked. To unlock you'll need to slide the lock screen. In other ways no possibility of pocket dialing.

Im in canada on a milestone and this isnt locking the phone.. still wakes to the home screen when i move my face off the screen without prompting with the lock screen.. i need an app!

girlnextdoor

Reaction score
Somebody said this on another droid forum & I notice it works too:

"hold thumb/finger over the top left corner of the screen.... wonder what i should call that app.
biggrin.gif
"

So while on a call, be sure to hold the phone closer to your ear, instead of closer to your mouth and hold it by the upper region of the phone, like quoted above: hold your thumb/finger over the top left corner of the screen when you hold it and your calls should stay locked. When you move it away from your face, then it will unlock because it has a proximity sensor built in.

I know that might be a bit much, but for now, that's what you'll have to do if you don't want to keep cheek dialing :icon_eek:

That solution was on this site: Is there a way to lock Droid while on a call? - Android Forums

chrisnoxid

Reaction score
an app that simply disables the sensor totally (or just while on a call) is all we would need. not sure what else it is used for.

anubis31404

Reaction score
same thing with mine

If you push the lock button it turns off the screen. If you do this after the call is connected, it won't turn back on until you push the button again. I just tested it three times.

Just tested it on mine 3 times and if I place the call and press the power button, it turns off the screen. I hold it up to my ear and move it away and the screen lights back up to the current call screen.

What SW are you on? Are you rooted?
same is goin on with mine

farrelle

Reaction score
I googled my problem and found this thread.

I guess the good news is that I'm not the only one suffering with this ridiculous problem.

The bad news is that my friends and family are going to give up on attempting any phone conversation with me if I continue to mute/hang up/dial on them while I'm on the phone.

It's maddening, and I need a solution ... or a new phone. It happens every single time I use the phone. :mad:

miked2233

Reaction score
Found an app that finally works

I have been having this problem too. ill call and 90% of the time i accidentally hang up or open an app or merge calls while on the phone with my cheek, well i went and downloaded the HeroLock app and when i enter a call i press the lock button on the top and haven't had any problems since then, and you can try the iphone lock too, but it does work.

electramom

Reaction score
Lock App?

OK, I see a couple of lock apps but don't know which one you used--please make recommendation.
After being completely confused about my weird call issues, then getting a replacement phone and still experiencing the same problem, I researched and learned about the prox sensor. I found that the problem is that I am somehow not compatible with the phone. Almost anyone else can use my phone and have no problem--the only other person I've found who experiences the same problem is my sister. Also, if I use my son's phone, which gives him no problem, I still have the problem. (My brother-in-law says my sister and I are obviously airheads, but I think we were abducted by aliens when we were young and taken to a highly-magnetized planet.) The problem is also variable--meaning that sometimes the screen stays mostly locked and sometimes it flickers on and off frequently.
I called and emailed motorola and got no help, only the recommendations that I send in the phone for evaluation. I really wish they would have admitted at least that they are working on the problem or made some productive suggestion about it--even if it was only the Finger Lock App.

gennis

Reaction score
prox problems

Wifes phone drops calls, mutes, etc. We both have droids so we did some testing since I never drop calls. When I use her phone I have no problems. When she uses my phone she has big problems. So I watched as she used the phone. As she would talk the screen would come on and off. Sometimes it would stay off for a while, sometimes it would stay on for a while. Tried my phone and the same thing happened so I looked closely the prox sensor is dead against her ear. The only thing I can figure is that her skin or its color just doesnt work well with the prox wich doesnt make a lot of sense or that maybe her ear canal is too deep. LOL! Anyway when I use my phone or her phone I never have the problem.

Bottom line - An app is needed that completely turns off the screen during a call OR puts a cover screen over the call screen that will require multi touch or slide to get back to the phone screen. This, however, is a bad idea as a default in the software because some of us with good skin, hair, short ear canals, etc like having the options handy. I actually wish I had an app that would block the screen lock as long as a call is active. I still want it to black out near my face, but I hate that when I take it away from my face and the screen is locked. By the time I unlock the screen I have missed someting or it is too late to mute out whatever needed muting. Screebl works great for general use but for some reason doesnt work if teh phone is held in the normal call position.

Another fix for gen2 droids would be multi proxes.

As others have said, Droid is a great computer, but stinks as a phone.

victoriac

Reaction score
Ok, I changed from iPhone (AT&T) to Droid (Vzw) because of dropped/failed calls on my iPhone all the time. I just couldn't deal with it and neither could my family/friends. Now I am having the problem with my Droid where I am hanging up on people and merging calls, dialing numbers, and I make sure my face isn't close just my ear. I can't use speakerphone ALL the time. I was going to take my Droid back to Verizon because I thought it was the phone but I see it's not just me. Everyone I talk to one my Droid keeps asking me did I go back to my iPhone. How embarrassing. I don't want to have to do a bunch of stuff just to make a call, it should be easier than this. I am so frustrated. I am going to see what Verizon says.

JCo352

Reaction score
Ok, I changed from iPhone (AT&T) to Droid (Vzw) because of dropped/failed calls on my iPhone all the time. I just couldn't deal with it and neither could my family/friends. Now I am having the problem with my Droid where I am hanging up on people and merging calls, dialing numbers, and I make sure my face isn't close just my ear. I can't use speakerphone ALL the time. I was going to take my Droid back to Verizon because I thought it was the phone but I see it's not just me. Everyone I talk to one my Droid keeps asking me did I go back to my iPhone. How embarrassing. I don't want to have to do a bunch of stuff just to make a call, it should be easier than this. I am so frustrated. I am going to see what Verizon says.
You definitly should just take it back, because if your screen isn't turning off when the phone is close to your ear, then your proximity sensor is defective.

William

Reaction score
Screen Lock

I noticed the sensor works on skin but not hair. The sensor is in the upper left hand corner. If you talk with the phone on your right ear, hold that corner to your ear, should keep the screen locked.

Bliss149

Reaction score
Me too!

I took my Droid back because of this problem. It was maddening and no matter how I held the phone, it happened ALL THE TIME.

got a Blackberry Curve (8520 I think?) which is sort of ok except for the sound/call quality which is horrible. (If the other person is also on cell phone, I am constantly asking them to repeat.)

So I called Verizon tonight and ended up agreeing to try the Droid again. I will try the fixes mentioned above and just hope I don't regret getting Droid again.