App that logs 3G and WIFI activity in detail

Knowthenazz

Reaction score
Hi,

Is anyone aware of an app that will log in detail which apps/widgets are using 3G or WIFI data, how much bandwidth they use, and at what time they use it?

I have a 500MB 3G cap and I've noticed that lately I've been using more data than normal. I just want to nail down which app has increased it's data usage.

Thanks in advance!

OP
K

Knowthenazz

Reaction score
hi,

I use NetCounter.....

to find in the market or

NetCounter for Android

regards

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've actually used NetCounter before, but, I'm hoping to find an app that has a bit more detail. NetCounter only seems to keep track of totals, but, I'm interested in finding out which of my applications/widgets is actually using the majority of the data and when.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

fry-lock

Reaction score
hi,

I use NetCounter.....

to find in the market or

NetCounter for Android

regards

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've actually used NetCounter before, but, I'm hoping to find an app that has a bit more detail. NetCounter only seems to keep track of totals, but, I'm interested in finding out which of my applications/widgets is actually using the majority of the data and when.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I second this, I'm burning through 7gb of bandwidth a month, and I don't know why. At first I thought netcounter was bugged, but I checked vzw's site today and it's spot on to what netcounter is saying. I don't know why, so I'm trying to find if I'm doing that much browsing/app downloading or if it's something else (I do NOT teather btw). Further more, most of my time browsing is through wifi, and my wifi usage is only around 1gb.

I am rooted, so I think the OTA update keeps downloading, but it hasn't prompted me to install after the first time and SPR blocked it's installation. Plus the battery life is the same as my wife's unrooted droid, around 2 full days with minimal use, so I'm not 100% sure it's that either.

TLDR: I'm trying to find an app that logs data usage by each individual app like the OP.

barcodelinux

Reaction score
Has anyone found an app that does this yet? I am looking too.

I have noticed that my D1 is using more and more data every month. Its not that I care about the total, as I have an unlimited data plan. I am, however, curious as to where all of this data is going and what apps are using the data.

OP
K

Knowthenazz

Reaction score

I have noticed that my D1 is using more and more data every month. Its not that I care about the total, as I have an unlimited data plan. I am, however, curious as to where all of this data is going and what apps are using the data.

I haven't found any that don't require root access.

If you are rooted, there is one that seems to be positively reviewed, but, I can't remember the name of it right now.

barcodelinux

Reaction score

I have root access on my droid. Do you know of an app that does this and requires root access?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see that you said you didn't remember. If you do remember, let me know please.

OP
K

Knowthenazz

Reaction score

I have root access on my droid. Do you know of an app that does this and requires root access?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see that you said you didn't remember. If you do remember, let me know please.

I can't seem to find the original app that I found, but, I did find Shark for Root:

Shark for Root for Android

It actually looks better... it's a sniffer :)

Try it and let me know what you think. I'm not rooted yet, but, I hope to be sometime soon :)

barcodelinux

Reaction score
I don't think that is what we are looking for. The Shark app logs VERY detailed information...straight to the packet level. That's like paying for dinner with a jar of pennies and inspecting every coin that crosses your hand. That is too far.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I think that we are looking for an app that will just tell us how much data is being transferred (in MB or GB) and where its going (hostname or ip) during a certain period of time (day, week, month).

OP
K

Knowthenazz

Reaction score
I don't think that is what we are looking for. The Shark app logs VERY detailed information...straight to the packet level. That's like paying for dinner with a jar of pennies and inspecting every coin that crosses your hand. That is too far.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I think that we are looking for an app that will just tell us how much data is being transferred (in MB or GB) and where its going (hostname or ip) during a certain period of time (day, week, month).

I agree that would be ideal, but, I'm not sure that app exists right now.

Originally I was hoping to find an app that would keep track of all packet requests (the originating app/widget, the destination and data size).

I agree that Shark would give you more detail, but, and by just doing some quick analyzing of quantity of packets, you should be able see the size of data to/from each destination. It's not ideal, but as I was just hoping to find out which of my widgets/apps was using the bulkload of my data without my knowledge, doing such detailed analysis periodically wasn't too bad.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

barcodelinux

Reaction score
Well, maybe some enterprising developer will be watching this thread and can help us out for a small fee/donation.

yahwarrior

Reaction score
What data plan are you on that has a 500 mb cap? I thought all droid smartphones had the unlimited plan.

OP
K

Knowthenazz

Reaction score
What data plan are you on that has a 500 mb cap? I thought all droid smartphones had the unlimited plan.

Ahh, I'm on Telus here in Canada. $25 buys you 500mb here, and $30 gets you 1gb (though there is currently a 6gb promotion on right now with the larger carriers).

OP
K

Knowthenazz

Reaction score

This app looks quite promising, and seems to be well reviewed:

droidwall - Project Hosting on Google Code

It might be old news for some though :)