App that disables phone from being used by thieves?

Rocky

Reaction score
Hey, guys. I was just reading about someone's phone getting stolen (which totally sucks) and I wondered if there's an app that can help us protect the information we have stored in our phones.

I think it'd be very good if there was an app for that and, while I'm at it, maybe an app where you can have a backup of ALL your phones apps, widgets, info, personal settings, etc.

Whatcha think? I'm willing to pay for this type of piece of mind and convenience, wouldn't you?

Regards,
Rocky

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I went with Wave Secure myself. Both apps work on the same premise... locating and locking your phone. However, with Wave Secure, you can remotely back up your phone and remotely wipe your phone as well.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
I went with Wave Secure myself. Both apps work on the same premise... locating and locking your phone. However, with Wave Secure, you can remotely back up your phone and remotely wipe your phone as well.
Excellent. It looks like I'll have them both (if I can) or at least keep Wave Secure.

Thanks for the info!

Regards,
Rocky

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you can have both, I haven't seen anything saying otherwise.... no bad interactions between the two that I've heard of.

xjman349

Reaction score
Yeah, I just read about Moblie Defense and went right ahead and installed it. But I doubt that either one of these security apps keep the phone from being used... am I wrong?

When you say being used are you referring to using your minutes? Thats what calling and suspending your line does stops all connection with that phone and places the phone on the lost stolen list that makes the phone not able to be activated, till you let us know you found the phone.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Yeah, I just read about Moblie Defense and went right ahead and installed it. But I doubt that either one of these security apps keep the phone from being used... am I wrong?

When you say being used are you referring to using your minutes? Thats what calling and suspending your line does stops all connection with that phone and places the phone on the lost stolen list that makes the phone not able to be activated, till you let us know you found the phone.
Well, that and like checking my e-mails, looking at sensitive credit card info and things like that.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
These apps lock the phone, as in you can't use anything on it. Basically it becomes a fancy brick in the thief's hand :)

iPirate

Reaction score
Having a lock screen might help some. I know there are ways to get around it, but might fend off some thieves.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Man, I've learned quite a few things from guys in this forum. It rocks!!

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wave Secure with the Alarm LOCK = FTMFW! just try it out. lock your phone via your computer and select alarm lock and see what happens ;)

-=Jason=-

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
just downloaded mobile security so i have them both. The map on mobile security seems to work better, but I like how you can remotely protect your phone with wave secure.

Concept app would be that the droid turns into a giant robot and beat the lowlife to the ground .....I am currently working on that.....I will keep yall posted lol.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
I like WaveSecure the best. although now that you mention ways to get around it, if the thief knew how to access the recovery menu he could probably break into the phone or do whatever he wanted, since WaveSecure wouldn't probably do anything until the Android system boots.

This has made me realize the need to have a password on the recovery menu.