[APP] Show Box, All You Can Eat Free Shows!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
bZ0EboFIn1qC9-JT4RJ5KKbR6x1yvNB4bjWT5L9gFU-R6TGBbJ7HYzeUlM7WELLvxAk=h310-rw

If you are like me you have no time to watch TV, at least not in the regular time slot when popular shows are first aired. I always end up either being at work or out doing something with the family or any number of other activities that keep me busy. I always find a block of time whether it be midnight thirty or a half hour on Saturday to try to catch up on some Shows. Hulu is a great service for this, but there are limitations to what you can watch and when you can watch it when it comes to newer shows. Enter the Show Box app. Somehow it has managed to stay in the Play Store for the past few months. It has quickly been downloaded 100,000+ times. The legality of this app is a bit suspicious. It is hard to believe that Show Box could have hashed out the necessary licensing agreements, especially considering this app is add supported. If it turns out that this app is too good to be true then you had better grab it while you can. I have a feeling this gem won't be in the Play Store for long.

Via Play Store

Topic for discussion: If you pay for a Television channel (cable subscription, premium channel subscription), but you don't have time to watch a show when it is originally aired, is it ethical to pirate said show? The debate is not whether or not it is legal. The question is, is it ethical. Would you say yes, no, grey? Also what is the difference between a pirated show, and dvr or vcr?

jspradling7

Reaction score
Pirating is never ethical. The cable companies might consider offering this same service to their paying customers since they are already paying to see the shows. I have an app for my Uverse service but the streaming selection they offer to me via the app is very poor.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Hopper and the Dish app. Ethics and legalities settled for me.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notetoo

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
If the show has reruns for free on a channel you pay for but don't have time to watch or a DVR, I don't have an issue with it. However if the show is on HBO or Showtime or something along those lines and you don't pay for that premium channel, then you get what you deserve if you get caught. I'm not saying that I haven't done that before, I just realize that what I may or may not be doing is illegal in the eyes of the law. Whether or not I care is the decider.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is I WOULD GLADLY pay for this service. Netflix and Hulu is nice...sure, but I can only watch shows while online. What about when I am not online, like commuting to work, which is about the only time I idle enough to watch anything. This app allows you to download the shows to your device, AND WATCH THEM LATER. How awesome is that? This is free, from what I can gather. I'm wondering if this is apart of a DMCA process to fine hundred of thousands of users for not paying to watch old episodes of Family Guy.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pirating is never ethical. The cable companies might consider offering this same service to their paying customers since they are already paying to see the shows. I have an app for my Uverse service but the streaming selection they offer to me via the app is very poor.

THIS ^^^^ INFINITY

I have a former coworker that runs a private music pirate server. He wanted to help me by giving me an ID and PW. I never did log in. His take was that the artist gets very little in the way of proceeds for someone buying an album. And that the record companies are evil. Even if all that is true it is still unethical.

NOTE: The only time I do anything like this is if I can get a leaked copy early. But I always buy a legit copy once released. Still unethical, I know, but I am impatient!!

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Back in my early years I pirated everything I could. Hey, I was a college kid with no money. Now that I'm working and paying taxes, I can afford to buy stuff now. Now, most of the music I listen to is bought and paid for, compared to when I was a youngin' just experiencing the wonders and joys of the almighty mp3.

Now that we are in the age of the mp4, that sense of joy has returned in the form of video. If I was connected to the internet at all times, there would be no need to watch shows offline, but because this is not the case, my Netflix account will have to wait until I get home.

So, probably not ethical but darn convenient.

acousticshade

Reaction score
THIS ^^^^ INFINITY

I have a former coworker that runs a private music pirate server. He wanted to help me by giving me an ID and PW. I never did log in. His take was that the artist gets very little in the way of proceeds for someone buying an album. And that the record companies are evil. Even if all that is true it is still unethical.

NOTE: The only time I do anything like this is if I can get a leaked copy early. But I always buy a legit copy once released. Still unethical, I know, but I am impatient!!

His 'justification' is used by many pirates, but is full of holes. Does he actually know what each artist is getting? I think not. So it's ok to gouge the rich and the poor at the same time as long as you are gouging the rich more? Again, I think not. Hey, everyone's doing it is a really bad excuse too. If everyone weren't doing it, maybe the poor artists might not be so poor.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Back in my early years I pirated everything I could. Hey, I was a college kid with no money. Now that I'm working and paying taxes, I can afford to buy stuff now. Now, most of the music I listen to is bought and paid for, compared to when I was a youngin' just experiencing the wonders and joys of the almighty mp3.

Now that we are in the age of the mp4, that sense of joy has returned in the form of video. If I was connected to the internet at all times, there would be no need to watch shows offline, but because this is not the case, my Netflix account will have to wait until I get home.

So, probably not ethical but darn convenient.

I agree. Nearly every movie I have downloaded I also own. I stream nearly everything I watch because of laziness. Who wants to chance the disc!? Also with Chromecast, .mp4 plays in chrome and casts flawlessly. For music, I pay $8 a month for Google Music and its everything I could ever want for music, legally. I also pay for Netflix. The ability to download an episode to my Nexus 7 and watch it when I don't have wifi, that is amazing.

Thinking about it, I really don't pirate much anymore. Streaming services have really alleviated my need to download stuff. This app probably won't make me put my captains hat back on, but it will be nice to have the occasional episode for when I'm waiting at the doctor's office, the DMV or something equally mind numbing.

Briankbl

Reaction score
Just for statistical accuracy, the app page shows that it has been downloaded only 10,000+ times, not 100,000+ downloads. I'm a stickler for facts, sorry lol

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA!

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Having used this site a few times now, I have to wonder why there hasn't been a joining of developer and studio to come up with a nominal fee (the $8/month that Netflix charges would be fine) to bring this service 'legally' to the masses, and allows everyone to get paid. I also wondered the same thing when Napster and MusicMatch Jukebox were the ways to share music. I would gladly pay the monthly fee for this service, because it's simple to navigate, and it works.