[APP] SD KitKat Fixer

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
CSgGxgyAlyK4GPQa074GukmXFj48lTOVJe2rKYvJHYi60ibyy-eV16opUeWBYpBPRg=w300

One huge drawback to KitKat is that it has changed the way that Android is able to use external sdcards. In KitKat 4.4 Google has modified the default permissions for the SDCard. These modifications mean that the sdcard is only accessible for writing by a special group of members called media_rw. This means that applications are no longer able to write to your external Sdcard. The new app by developer "Jrummy" fixes this little issue. The app modifies a file which gives Android the ability to write to removable storage. You will need root access for this app to do its job. You can grab SD KitKat Fixer for free from the link below.

U7TB32aOB5cZ646vdMF4Goqyzksc8M_R1IfNXPNVIX_NnwVrQnKql7XOAG9jgLu13Q=h310
w8WwqtEZzlTEdADKeZw5Tfq7a49twIoMOIBeAVpCs0UFn8PEMNsLTMVUZC4n2DG5S6iY=h310

Via Play Store

ktklein72

Reaction score
CSgGxgyAlyK4GPQa074GukmXFj48lTOVJe2rKYvJHYi60ibyy-eV16opUeWBYpBPRg=w300

One huge drawback to KitKat is that it has changed the way that Android is able to use external sdcards. In KitKat 4.4 Google has modified the default permissions for the SDCard. These modifications mean that the sdcard is only accessible for writing by a special group of members called media_rw. This means that applications are no longer able to write to your external Sdcard. The new app by developer "Jrummy" fixes this little issue. The app modifies a file which gives Android the ability to write to removable storage. You will need root access for this app to do its job. You can grab SD KitKat Fixer for free from the link below.

U7TB32aOB5cZ646vdMF4Goqyzksc8M_R1IfNXPNVIX_NnwVrQnKql7XOAG9jgLu13Q=h310
w8WwqtEZzlTEdADKeZw5Tfq7a49twIoMOIBeAVpCs0UFn8PEMNsLTMVUZC4n2DG5S6iY=h310

Via Play Store

So now that I took the 4.4.2 update from VZW and have KitKat, now I need to see if Root is available on this build so I can install this. Any idea if 4.4.3 will address this, or is this a permanent change by Google?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I hate usign Titanium Backup when I know it will store the backups on my internal memory. Annoying as crap. I still can't put together why Google would do this nonsense. Moving my Titanium Backup folder and it works. WOOHOO!!!!

NOVICE

Reaction score
So now that I took the 4.4.2 update from VZW and have KitKat, now I need to see if Root is available on this build so I can install this. Any idea if 4.4.3 will address this, or is this a permanent change by Google?

It is my understanding that Google has no intention of reversing their trashing of the SD card. The change was instituted to improve security I believe. (Although there are darker theories afloat.) This is a choice that should have been left to the consumer.

I don't want to root chiefly because I have to return my Note 3 to Verizon after one year to upgrade to a Note 4.

The question is whether you can simply get around the problem by transferring apps and data to the SD card directly via the computer.