App Review: Memory Booster vs. Advanced Task Killer

Discussion in 'Download Android' started by asforel, Nov 24, 2010.

1. asforel

asforel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The original author is Susan Lou, I am just sharing :)

This review compares Memory Booster and Advanced Task Killer (ATK) based on author’s objective analysis and long-time user experience. Memory Booster is regarded as a comprehensive memory boosting tool offering task management, memory monitor & status report, as well as system information of the device; while ATK provides easy-to-use shortcut to manage tasks and functions to customize user interface.

As we all know how Linux OS manages the Android memory in a very special way - to allow as many apps and services to stay simultaneously in the background as possible. These apps and services will launch very fast and efficiently when needed. For many, Linux OS has been doing pretty well in memory and task management. Task killers and memory boosting tools might have been regarded as useless. However, quite a few people are having troubles with such a system management routine. I am unfortunately one of them.

I have a Droid X to operate. Each time my memory gets lower to a certain level (55MB also), my phone would slow to a crawl and become almost unusable. To solve this I would use a task killer or some memory boosting tool to regain its memory. As far as the memory goes higher than 55MB, my phone will immediately return to its regular speed.

Due to the case, I have tried lots of task killers and memory boosting tools, among which my favorites are Advanced Task Killer (ATK) and Memory Booster. They probably have already been really well-known for their high performances. As a regular user of these two applications, I will sum up some of their features and make a comparison of them for someone who might be in the same boat with me.

1.Overview
    On the whole, Memory Booster has more comprehensive functions than ATK, while ATK is typically simpler to use. Personally I use Memory Booster more frequently for its particular memory boosting performance and one-in-all boosting shortcuts. But it does require some time to get used to it.

2. Similarities between Memory Booster and ATK:
    In task management, Memory Booster and ATK have a lot in common. They both offer a list of apps and services from which users can easily select unwanted processes to kill. Besides, they both have auto kill function, as well as a protection list to prevent some needed apps/services from being killed.

(1) Task Management
    They both offer a list of apps and services for users to kill:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Task Management (Memory Booster vs. ATK)​
    (2) Auto Task Management
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Task Management Frequency (Memory Booster vs. ATK)​
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Task Management Level (Memory Booster vs. ATK)​

(3) Protection of Daily-use Apps
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Whitelist (Memory Booster) vs. Ignore List (ATK)​
    lWhitelist (Memory Booster):
    Memory Booster has a whitelist which separates user apps from system apps. This one is very convenient for beginners. You can simply ignore all the options in system apps to prevent your core system apps from being killed.
    lIgnore List (ATK):
    ATK offers three security levels: High, Low and Medium. Choose a higher security level and core system apps/service will hide and be auto-protected from being killed.

3.Something that ATK has while Memory Booster does not:

(1)Kill When Screen is Off
    [​IMG]
    ATKallows users to kill apps when screen is off. In this way all apps will be automatically terminated when they are idle.

(2)Function to Customize User Interface
    [​IMG]
    ATKallows users to set Item Height, Default Click Action, and Default Long-Press Action to customize user interface. You can set a default result of a click or a long press and make task killer more convenient.

4.Something that Memory Booster has while ATK does not:

(1)Auto Boost Thresholds
    [​IMG]
    Memory Booster allows users to set a threshold of a minimum desired free RAM and automatically reclaim memory when the desired free RAM reaches a lower percentage. (P.S. I do love this feature because my phone needs a memory monitor to run smoothly. )

(2)One-Click Memory Boosting
    [​IMG]
    Memory Booster has a Quick Boost option on its main page. Quick Boost is effective when you need a quick fix of the memory leak.

(3)Real-time Memory Monitor and Status Report
    [​IMG]
    Memory Booster has a Memory Status graph which shows the real-time memory usage.

(4)Memory Boosting Performance Monitor
    [​IMG]
    Boost log offers a report on when memory boosting occurs and how much memory is reclaimed. Sometimes you may need to check if Memory Booster affects your phone's performance, and boost log will record all the memory boosting occurrences.

(5)System Info
    [​IMG]
    Memory Booster provides system information which may be helpful for some professional or technical users.

5.Conclusion
    To sum up, Memory Booster and ATK are both very effective in task management and system performance enhancement. Memory Booster reclaims your memory in a comprehensive way to greatly enhance your phone’s performance; while ATK offers you a convenient shortcut to kill any apps/services you want. ​
    If you are feeling that a task management tool would bring benefit to your phone’s performance, these two applications should be on top of your selection list. For users who like an easy to use shortcut to manage processes, try ATK; for those who enjoy convenient and comprehensive task managers, check out Memory Booster for sure. The choice is yours.​

#1 asforel, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. titans

titans Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. asforel

asforel Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +31
    task killers = badddd

5. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Why are task killers bad??

Sent from my DROID2

6. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +0
  7. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +31
    i hope with 600+ posts ur kidding lol

8. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,670
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    and here we go....

9. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    Task killer discussion should continue in the link spaz33g provided.

10. fandroid1

fandroid1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    #10 fandroid1, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  11. Detonation

Detonation Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Its too bad you wasted the time making such a nice review on these useless apps.

12. IanG

IanG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This.

Memory boosters, app/task killers, etc are NOT beneficial for your phone. Period.

Search tags for this page
advanced task manager memory booster
du booster vs task manager
du speed booster forum

du speed booster review

du speed booster reviews
du speed booster vs advanced task killer
du speed booster vs advanced task manager
memory booster task killer
memory booster vs du speed booster
task killer vs du boost