APP Request That Could Make You Money!!

steeleshark2

Reaction score
People are so worried about teens texting and talking on the phone while driving. How about an app the would place the phone in airplane mode when moving over a certain speed? This would need to be password locked by the parent to prevent the teen from turning it off. I do not know if you can have it detect a accurate speed without GPS, so it might need to interface with that also and be locked on. What do you all think??

mack19318

Reaction score
Good idea but a few problems. Kids not driving and needs help and his or her phone is locked, (kidnapped, friends drunk driving, ect. Ect.) And then what happens if the mom or dad forgets the password?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

9wire

Reaction score
Wouldn't be able to recieve calls from Dad in airplane mode, otherwise good idea.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
steeleshark2

steeleshark2

Reaction score
Good idea but a few problems. Kids not driving and needs help and his or her phone is locked, (kidnapped, friends drunk driving, ect. Ect.) And then what happens if the mom or dad forgets the password?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Maybe have a separate password for then teen to disable that will then automatically send a text to a phone number to inform the parent that the override function was used. I am pretty sure with all the great minds out here, something that is safe and functional could be made up.

OP
steeleshark2

steeleshark2

Reaction score
Wouldn't be able to recieve calls from Dad in airplane mode, otherwise good idea.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

As a father myself, I would not want my teen to pick up the phone while driving even if I am calling. That is what voice mail is for.

OP
steeleshark2

steeleshark2

Reaction score
Ohh as for forgetting the password. Have a way for the program to email the password to an address that a parent could put in.

FernBch

Reaction score
As for the password, how about security questions? As for the what if's, have the ability to only call/text a predetermined number or two. That way certain bad situations are still covered. I really see no way for the program to determine whether or not a certain person is driving or not. There would also be a need for remote lock/unlock of said app.

My Droid Thrives on the DarkSlide!!

OP
steeleshark2

steeleshark2

Reaction score
As for the password, how about security questions? As for the what if's, have the ability to only call/text a predetermined number or two. That way certain bad situations are still covered. I really see no way for the program to determine whether or not a certain person is driving or not.

Do not forget, the parents have a choice to turn this off and on as needed. So if they know that the teen will not be driving on a trip (ie they are with them or another adult) they can turn this function off. Also, the phone would work if at stop light or rest areas as long the car is slower then a predetermined speed. If a developer really wants to get frogy, they can incorporate a website for interfacing with this program and use location software. Of course this would be more intensive and probably could not use the airplane mode. I just see a lot of money in this app if one is developed properly. I just do not have the know how.

FernBch

Reaction score
The ability to control some, if not all, of the app and it's options could easily be done with sms. Command+password to the device would be quick and simple. Tracking may be tricky as it could increase program size, unless it was tracked via a website.

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
State Farm app prevents sending and receiving texts while driving. It will auto-reply a message you select. You can also set this up with Tasker pretty easily.