* Android settings
* App data and settings
* Wi-Fi keys
* E-mail account set up
* SMS messages
* Music play lists, album art, etc.
* Etc.
* And so on

I've seen a thread or two about and an app or two for one or a few of these but none that claim to address a complete clone of my environment. Android is Linux-based, it really should be as simple as copying
Code:
/etc/*
. How can I do this?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If your original phone was rooted and you have a recent back-up this is a cinch, if not than it is a bit more complicated

You say your old device is dead...how dead ?

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
If your original phone was rooted and you have a recent back-up this is a cinch, if not than it is a bit more complicated

I wasn't rooted but it could be. I'm a noob in that area though (I'm a s/w engineer with 25 years experience but none of it in Android internals.)

You say your old device is dead...how dead ?

The charger input has a mechanical problem that keeps the phone from charging. I can charge the battery in the replacement and put it into the original and all is well. Since I don't yet have a way to copy my stuff over, that's what I'm doing now.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you root your old device, you can make what is called a nandroid back-up, you could then root your new device, root it and restore the nandroid from the previous device onto the new device, everything on the new phone would be exactly how it was on the old phone

I will post a few links that you might find helpful

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
Sorry, I am at work and got swamped

No problem.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

So this voids my warranty. Which I wouldn't mind if I wasn't about to mail the phone back because it's broken. Can I get my phone back to original condition so they don't get it back rooted?

spider210

Reaction score
They aren't going to notice or say anything phones go back and are refurbed

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reaction score
A few points about that above method.

You can't use it because you said the USB connector is broken.

Now If you can transfer data but not charge then that will work.

If you can do that you can also find and push a full SBF file that is the full out of the box stock image.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You are taking a risk sending a rooted phone back to Verizon, albeit a small one. I wouldn't do it. After you get done with your back up remove the root from your Droid.

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You are taking a risk sending a rooted phone back to Verizon, albeit a small one. I wouldn't do it. After you get done with your back up remove the root from your Droid.
+1.

Not worth the risk... especially if you come to find out Verizon is going to charge you the full price of your refurb device for voiding your warranty.

Not worth it to save 5-10 minutes of work to revert to stock w/ no root.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend sending a rooted device back either, no reason to risk it

Reaction score
A few points about that above method.

You can't use it because you said the USB connector is broken.

Damn! I forgot that.

Now If you can transfer data but not charge then that will work.

I'll try tonight.

If you can do that you can also find and push a full SBF file that is the full out of the box stock image.

SBF?

If you find that you can't push data via the USB cable there are other ways around this.

Using the above method skip all the talk about SPrecovery. Go to the step that asks you to root using an update.zip file.

Now you can't copy the file via your broken phone but you can use your good phone to put the file on your SDCARD and then move the card and battery over to your old phone. Then run the update zip file as instructed. You will be rooted at that point but will not have a sprecovery.

But once rooted you can download a program in the market called ROM manager. It can install clockwork recovery or sprecovery and you can use that do make a nandroid backup of your phone.

You can also use ROM Manager to download a stock ROM with no root just as you get it from Verizon so that you can clean your phone and send it in.

Reaction score
Scratch my last post. If you don't have sprecovery you can't install update.zip. And you can't install sprecovery without a USB cable. :icon_ nono2: