App keeps disappearing.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I've had the same issue with apps disappearing. It appears to be ones that I've moved to the media area. Since I stopped moving apps to the media area, I haven't noticed any more apps disappearing. Hopefully this is will be fixed!

My question is, what is the media area? Is it on the phone or on the sdcard? What is it's purpose?

The Bionic has 2 SD cards. One built inside the phone and one you can grab. They've renamed it to "Media Area" for some reason.

spcold

Reaction score
I know this is talked about exhaustively, but I have noticed that like others said that some apps actually stay on the SD card with no issue. I've found that if you download an app, and it is moveable, and you try to move it to the SD card, sometimes you will get a response of "failed to move to SD". If you keep trying, they will move over but get corrupted in the process and this is a obvious indicator it will not work on the SD card. If you get that message, cancel the move and leave it on your phone. The app will stay put.

Dan
Thanks Dan for the observation. However I tried it out and that approach still doesn't work. Of course Motorola is going to coltrane the app programming for the problem. But it must be both sides. The Bionic is brand new to the market. So it is bound to have bugs that need to be worked out by the manufacturer. If you want to complain you can call Motorola at 800-331-6456. I hope this helps.

donbn

Reaction score
Followed another lead on this forum and took the apps OFF of the SD card and sent back to phone. Seems to have solved problem. Some items/downloads keep disappearing and thought that it was from storing them in a new folder names Apps but that was not the problem. Other solver thought that moving the installs back to phone and not on card solved problem. Thus far I have had no further problems. Believe this is another software problem MOTOROLA has to resolve. Verizon set me straight with their solution of losing contact with my router. Motorola rep had me do a reboot of my phone and I lost everything and had to be reinstalled. BUT it didn't solve problem. VERIZON did.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Every time I download I use appstosd to make sure it's on the phone. If not I move it problem solved.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

traceyjo

Reaction score
I too have been missing apps. I do not have XFinity but do have App2SD installed. I took off App2SD and will try moving Apps to card via
settings. I'll see if that works.

TatDroid

Reaction score
I took off App2SD and will try moving Apps to card via
settings. I'll see if that works.

No, don't do that. The solution, for now, is to leave them on the phone's internal app memory area.

Press the menu hard button on your phone, select "manage apps". Choose the "media area" tab at the top. Now scroll down the page and UNCHECK any items that are checked. This will move them to the internal app storage area.

The Bionic has 4GB of internal memory reserved for app storage. It's not available for any other purpose, so moving apps off of this internal storage area just waists this space - in addition to causing them to disappear! 4GB is huge! There is no need to move your apps anywhere.

As a matter of fact, the only apps you need to move are the ones that are designed to install directly to SD card. These will install to the "media area" of the Bionic and need to be moved back (using the method described above) Whenever I install a new app I check just to make sure it didn't install directly to the media area.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums