App Images Showing up in Gallery

CAPcadetJC

Reaction score
I have all of the images from other apps and stuff on my phone that are showing up in Gallery. Is there any way to make this not happen?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Easy fix. Find the folders containing those icons using either astro file manager (or a similar app) or by connecting your phone to your pc. In any folder that has icons showing up in your gallery, create a file named .nomedia

That will tell the phone not to put any media files from that folder into your gallery.

Emitted from X.

OP
CAPcadetJC

CAPcadetJC

Reaction score
I cant create a file in the app's images folder. Do I have to give astro some sort of permission? Also, Astro only gives me an option to create a zip file or a folder. Do I just need to create a folder and name it .nomedia?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I THINK that'll work. The way I did it actually was to find another app with icons that don't show up in the gallery, like beautiful widgets and copy that file, but as far as I know, the name just needs to be right.

Emitted from X.

OP
CAPcadetJC

CAPcadetJC

Reaction score
hmm i cant even find where beautiful widgets is installed haha

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
There's a folder simply called "data". Your clock and weather skins are all in there, inside the beautifulwidgets folder and maybe in another folder or two. Each folder for each skin has a .nomedia file you can copy into other files.

Emitted from X.

OP
CAPcadetJC

CAPcadetJC

Reaction score
Well the I have those installed but the data folder is empty. On a side not it seems that creating a folder named .nomedia worked in the other folders. I am having one app still show images and videos in the gallery but Im rebooting the phone to see if that fixes it. Ill update my post if it does.

EDIT: Nope a restart did not fix. So I still have one rogue app. Quite annoying. Just for extra info the app is the game HAWKX.

EDIT2: Found the right data folder. Copied the file pasted and pasted it now its all gone. So it seems that copying and pasting one of those files is most reliable. And it also appears that those files are simple txt files, but I will investigate that further.

EDIT3: I uploaded the .nomedia file to my computer and it shows as a text file and opens as a text file. The file is empty so it just seems that it takes a simple text file named that exactly to keep this from happening.

Thanks for your help. Excellent find.