App help

jimbarr

Reaction score
Here are my preferred free and paid apps:

Utilities:
  • JuiceDefenter Ultimate - Consistently increases my battery life by at least 75%--well worth the cost.
  • SwiftKey 3 - The best keyboard replacement--customizable and extremely useful.
  • ChargeBar - Displays a nice battery charge indicator that's more comprehensive than the tiny battery icon.
  • AdFree or AdAway - if you are rooted, this rids you of all that nasty advertising on the device you paid for.
Productivity:
  • Calengoo - Comprehensive calendar replacement app with a ton of customizable features.
  • Google Tasks Organizer - Great presentation and management of Google Tasks.
  • gNotes - Simple yet comprehensive note-taking app that syncs to Gmail.
  • Dolphin HD Browser - I've tried 'em all, and I like this the best. YMMV.
Content consumption and reference:
  • Flipboard - Excellent news reader. There are more comprehensive apps for this, but this is very easy and pleasing to use.
  • Logos - Bible reference software with lots of good free and paid reference materials. YMMV.
  • Pocket - The BEST way to get "to-be-read-later" content into your BIONIC.
  • IMDb - Quick access to IMDb content.
  • ezPDFReader - Excellent PDF reader with a ton of features that don't get in the way.
Games:
  • 250+ Solitaire - When you want to play a game of cards to kill time.
  • X-Plane - A flight simulator in your pocket. What could be cooler?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you like eBooks, besides Kindle and Nook there's Aldiko and Moon Reader (both free and paid versions). Moon Reader is especially nice and it has page turning animations. Both have links to get free books (like from Project Gutemburg) and I use Calibre on my computer to convert html or PDF to ePub so both apps can use them.

A couple of utility apps are Screebl and GSam Battery Monitor (both free and paid versions). Screebl keeps the screen on in certain orientations and will turn the screen off when not. For example, it'll turn the screen off just by laying the phone down. Set your screen time for 15 seconds and you may save some power. GSam Battery Monitor sits in your Notifications Bar and gives the power level in single digits. When you pull the bar down it tells you time left and battery temperature. Pressing that display will give you even more information. Forum member FoxKat recommends that app.

Last edited:

bluezdawg

Reaction score
A few others:
* Evernote - great for taking notes and keeping track of things.
* Dropbox - Great external storage to share files between your phone PC and others.
* Splashtop Remote- great app to share your PC desktop.
* ISyncr- for sharing music & playlists from iTunes.
* CamCard - great for scanning business cards. OCRc them to use with quick access buttons. Will keep information in a "card file" or sync to contacts. Backs-up info online (on sale right now for $2.99
* Slingbox Client - pricey but nice if you have a Slingbox (love watching my cable and dvr when traveling ;-)
* Netflix app- awesome if you have a netflix account. Works well.
* Dolphin HD Browser - ditto on earlier post... great browser!

ENJOY!!

Sent from my butt-kick'n DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk2

Last edited:

jimbarr

Reaction score
One thing that you may glean from these posts is that there is a lot of diversity available. Look for some solid basic apps and then dig deeper. And don't forget that while you can certainly spend a lot of cash on apps, generally speaking, most decent apps are really inexpensive for what you get.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

OP
DevilDogMP

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
I prefer opera browser over dolphin browser. And I was wondering what are some common apps on android phones.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
One thing that you may glean from these posts is that there is a lot of diversity available. Look for some solid basic apps and then dig deeper. And don't forget that while you can certainly spend a lot of cash on apps, generally speaking, most decent apps are really inexpensive for what you get.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

To add to that, if you install a paid app, you have 15 minutes to decide if you like it or not. If you don't you can return it for a refund. Also, if you do a factory reset, or uninstall a paid app, you don't have to pay again.

Again, I suggest you install the Amazon Store app as daily a paid app is free. Many you might not touch even if it was free, but there comes a few gems. One time QuickOffice (a $14.95 app) was free.