App free still if phone rebooted?

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by Android73, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Android73

Android73 New Member

I looked for an answer on this but I couldn't find one... sorry if it was posted already.

If I were to pay for and install an app (say Pac-Man) and I were to reset my phone... do I have to pay for the app again or does the market/app developer have something that will allow for me to install it again without paying the fee again?

Thanks in advance :eek:
  2. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

yes it's still free as long as you use the same google sign in information :D
  3. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Common question. Purchases are tied to your gmail account. They can be downloaded again for free.
  4. Android73

Android73 New Member

Okay. That's like when I took back my Eris Droid and bought the Motorola. I thought they'd have to transfer my address book over again and I think the only thing the Verizon rep had me do is loging to gmail. The addy book just went right in within seconds.
    I think thats all they did anyways. Log in and it just all went int the phone. That sound right?

One thing that sucked is my Eris synced up my addy book with my Facebook contacts without a hitch. The Motorola though... I had to go in and change a few female names adding their maiden names (unless they didn't have one) in order for it to sync.

Thanks again, friends :)
  5. Jonny Kansas

Yup. As long as you have your phone sync, gmail imports contacts. You can also manage contacts online. As far as I know, the Eris and Moto have the same fb app/sync, but I've had issues with maiden names too...
  6. Android73

Android73 New Member

Gotcha. Thanks. If I ever reboot I have to make sure it's in sync mode before I log into my gmail account.

Much appreciated ;)
  7. Jonny Kansas

Be sure BEFORE you reset that your account has synced recently to make sure Gmail.com has the proper information, but yes!
  8. Android73

Android73 New Member

How do I make a direct planned sync on gmail.

Thanks
  9. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    If you haven't specifically turned it off, sync will be on by default. You can toggle it on or off with the standard power widget.
  10. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

One thing, while your paid apps should be there, you may not have all of your free apps. At least that's what happened to me.
  11. Jonny Kansas

Matt nailed it...

As long as your phone is set to sync and you have sync turned on, your phone will keep your gmail.com account up-to-date. To check this, go to your contacts, press menu, press accounts. Make sure sync is on. To make sure that your phonebook has synced recently (not sure hos often it does...), click on Gmail. Below where it says contacts, it will tell you the date and time that it was last synced. If you think you added contacts after that date/time, uncheck the box by contacts, then check it again and it should sync up right away.

Also...

That's true. The OP was asking about whether or not a paid app would have to be paid for again, but I've heard it both ways...

If you SWITCH phones, only your paid apps will have a record, and you'll still have to find them in the market. I found this out because I had a G1, then switched to Alltel, then bought the Droid, and I wanted a specific app that I'd paid for when I had the G1, so I looked it up thinking I'd buy it again, but was able to download it for free.

However, with a reset, I've seen people on here say that, if you give it time, the phone doesn't delete ALL info on apps that you had installed, and they should come back.

Either way, it's not a bad idea to make a quick list of apps that you KNOW you'll want to get back before resetting or changing phones.
  12. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Same thing with my G1 Kansas...I've had a few that I had on my G1 that I was going to re-download and I had already paid, so I didn't have to pay again. We're talking about from like the first week the G1 was out until today or so...that's a long time...so it's not like the records expire.
  13. Android73

Android73 New Member

I keep sync off on the power save bar I put on my homescreen. I'd just have to make sure to turn sync on for awhile before a reset.

The free apps are pretty cut and dry. I have a few reference apps and some news media apps... ATK and File Explorer.

Just outta curiosity while I'm getting some good advice here. I know wallpaper saves will go to my SD. Is the same true for downloaded ringtones?

Thanks guys :)
  14. Jonny Kansas

I'll only speak from personal experience here, because I've only ever used zedge for ringtones. Zedge saves ringtones to the SD card.

If you don't have it yet, download astro file manager. It allows you to view, edit, move, delete things on the SD card. I see you have file explorer. Not sure if hats the same.

Zedge puts ringtones and wallpapers in their own folders within a folder called zedge. I imagine they're all similar.
  15. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Sync doesn't really save all that much power. Your GMail is pushed to you when you get new mail, so it's not eating up a ton of battery. Just FYI.
  16. Android73

Android73 New Member

Downloaded Zedge. I have Mabilo but haven't used it. Never hurts to have diff ringtone apps, right. I also downloaded Astro and booted the file explorer. Astro looked a lot more functional and it had better reviews.

Thanks guys. I've learned more on this site browsing threads for 2hrs than I had just having tinkering with my Moto over the last 7 days :)
  17. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Well, that's what it's here for and why we are here. :)