1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[APP][FREE][2.2+] eNotify: The Swiss Army Knife of Email and SMS notifications

Discussion in 'Android App Developers' started by glensantacruz, Jul 3, 2013.

1. glensantacruz

glensantacruz New Member

Hi Guys,

I'd appreciate feedback on my new app: eNotify...Thanks!

eNotify provides private and secure direct local notification for incoming email and SMS messages. Highly configurable, eNotify supports complex rules with custom alert sounds for different accounts, senders, subjects and recipient addresses. Easily silence day-to-day background noise and stay aware of those important email and SMS messages!

It is the prefect tool for first responders and those of us that work on call.

REQUIRES ANDROID:
    2.2 and up

Free Version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hermes.enotifylite

Full Version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hermes.enotify

iOS Version: eNotify

FEATURES -
    * Starts and runs continually in the background as a service.
    * Maintains constant email awareness.
    * Works with all IMAP accounts. This *also* includes Exchange servers which have IMAP support enabled.
    * Works with Exchange directly via Exchange Web Services (Exchange 2007/2010)
    * Works with all POP3 accounts. Supports Yahoo, Hotmail, and more!
    * Supports IMAP push email! Get your email notices immediately and without polling!
    * Custom alert for messages marked as high priority!
    * Supports scanning multiple IMAP folders for new messages. (Configurable in account setup window)
    * Pick from one of the 150+ built-in sounds, add your own custom sounds
    * Set custom sounds for individual accounts, senders, subject key words/phrases, recipient key words/phrases, battery levels, and data usage
    * "Do Not Disturb" setting automatically silences all email notices during your configured time period.
    * Configure certain alerts to override the device silent switch!
    * Option to completely ignore, show only local notice (silently), or vibrate on alert, in addition to sound options.
    * Completely private! Your data/email NEVER leaves your device!
    * Ability to set optional iOS style pop-up alerts
    * Many custom pop-up themes includes
    * Ability to create your own custom pop-ups
    * Text to speech alerts, reads aloud the sender and subject as your emails arrive
    * Ability to configure how text to speech alerts are read
    * Works with third party apps: Gmail, Yahoo, K-9 Mail, mail.com, Aqua Mail, Yandex.Mail, Hotmail, Outlook.com, Mail Droid, etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. glensantacruz

glensantacruz New Member

Hi All,

Does anyone have any feedback on the app. What do you think of the feature set? Any suggestions for improvements?

I'd really be grateful to hear your ideas. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Glen
  3. bweN diorD

bweN diorD Well-Known Member

im looking for an app that can set a reminder at a customizable interval for my emails.
    frequently at work, where its noisy, i dont realize i got mail.
    if your app can do that im in. i didnt see it in the list of features though.

btw, i wouldnt mind paing for it, as long as it works good.
  4. glensantacruz

glensantacruz New Member

Hiya. Yeah it can do that. Here are the screen shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So for example, I can set an alert that fires every minute until I acknowledge it only when the email is from my wife.

We are also in the process of adding custom vibrations...I think that could help you too...Set a vibration that causes a real ruckus.

As far as work / home management.
    1. You can set different profiles/alerts for work and home
    2. There is a global do not disturb feature to turn alerts off
    3. You can set individual time schedules on each alert you create
    For example, only play an alert from my boss if the time is between 9 and 5

There is an ad supported free version if you want to take it for a test drive...If you have any issues or suggestions we monitor the support email address regularly.

Cheers,
    Glen
  5. bweN diorD

thanks for the reply :)
    ill give it a test drive tomorrow.
  6. bweN diorD

i set it up on my razr maxx hd, did a few test emails, and i get the initial alert but no reminder.
    i have it set to 1 minute/until the app opens, what am i missing?

im off to bed, thanks for the help.
  7. glensantacruz

glensantacruz New Member

UPDATE: Upon further testing, there is a problem specifically with the option "Until the app opens"...I'm making a patch now...In the meantime, you can use the options {1, 2, 3, 4}

Okay. I suspect your alert is being cancelled after the first play. All "active" repeating alerts [alerts that have already played once] are cleared on any user interaction.

So they are cleared whenever:
    1. You touch any part of the app
    2. When you touch the popup notification
    3. When you touch a notification in the system tray

It is a mandate for us that all alerts can be cancelled as early as possible:
    [Ex] I'm in a meeting and the alert sound starts playing -- I need it to stop NOW]

I think the issues are:
    1. Change the word wording "Until the app opens" -> "Until user interaction"
    2. It is not obvious when a repeating alert has been cancelled -> Issue a message
    3. Add some text to the repeating dialog explaining that all repeating alerts are cancelled on any interaction
  8. glensantacruz

glensantacruz New Member

New in R1.54
    . Fixed: Repeating alert "Until app opens" does not work

[Sometimes take a few hours until it becomes available on the app store]

Thanks for the report!
  9. bweN diorD

I just took the update and will be testing as I get mail today, thanks.
    I noticed 2 other bugs,
    1. After getting an alert, I open the phone and there is a prompt there, close/open email, the open email doesn't so anything.
    2. (this I'm not sure can be fixed) (also, I may be a little off on the description, it happened last night, I should have posted when it was fresh in my memory) I have several Gmail accounts, I put 2 into the app to test, my default and one other. Sent myself a test email on the default act, cancelled the prompt and used the pull down notification to access the email. When Gmail opened it went to the last account I used, which was neither one I put in the app. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your help :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  10. glensantacruz

glensantacruz New Member

With regards to item 2, you're right there isn't anything we can do there. eNotify can open the Gmail app to the inbox, but it can't control the account that is set. So you'll have to change that manually I'm afraid.

In fact, just opening the inbox on Android is a bit of challenge. The platform doesn't support a generic intention to open the inbox. So we have to query the device to see which email apps are available then further query to see how they can be launched.

As far as item 1, it sounds like this is working in general, but it didn't work on a particular occasion? [After the device was idle] I'll see if I can reproduce that over the weekend. There is quite a bit of logging that happens when you press "Open Mail". If something went wrong it may get written to "View Logs".

Thanks,
    Glen

11. bweN diorD

Opening email from the pop-up has actually never worked for me. My other references to opening mail were from the pull down notification menu.

Thanks again for your replies.

12. glensantacruz

glensantacruz New Member

Okay that's "good" news then. If it works from the system notification it means we can get it working from the pop-up.

This just jogged my memory....I checked our support inbox: Someone else reported the exact same thing on the same device:
    DROID RAZR MAXX
    Android version 4.0.4

But she reported that it was working fine in recent builds.

A couple questions:
    1. Are you on the eNoitfyLite or the full version?
    2. Under "Email accounts" have you chosen an "Email app" or is it set to "Prompt me"

Cheers,
    Glen

13. bweN diorD

I'm on lite for now so I can't change that setting from prompt me.
    Will defiantly buy if we get it working properly.

The reminder still isn't working for me on the maximum setting, I just turned it down to 4 and will report back later on the results.

Thanks again

14. glensantacruz

glensantacruz New Member

I'm guessing the client hasn't updated yet.
    Menu -> Release Notes

The top should say:
    "New in R1.54:
    Fixed: Repeating alert "Until app opens" does not work"

It sometimes takes hours before it comes available on Google play.

Okay that's good to know. So it is the chooser dialog that does not open. I think she's configured to open the email apps directly on her razr device. Get back to you soon...Cheers!

15. bweN diorD

ok the unlimited notification is working now :)
    the pop up mail button is not a big deal to me as i will disable the pop up anyways, but i will continue to test it for you to get it working.
    i went ahead and bought the pro version as its working to suit my needs :)

i have a few suggestions, that would make this app better, or people may complain about.
    -im thinking there should be an option to have it not notify if the phone screen is on
    -there should be a connection between the free and paid versions. what i mean is they need to share the settings/accounts file(s). when i upgraded to the full version i found that none of my accounts/settings were there :(
    -it would be great if you could have a way to back up the settings/accounts file(s) to sd card. for those of us who mod and flash our phones a lot, restoring from a back up would come in handy. this could also be useful to the average user if they have to reset their phone or get a new one.
    -i dont know if its possible to fix but, if an email is read on another device (like my computer), the app continues to notify for a new email
    -also would be nice to have a vibrate on/off option for notifications as well

these are just a few suggestions/observations i think would make the app better. i in no way expect you to implement them, although, i think some would be nice additions to an already great app.

thanks
  16. glensantacruz

glensantacruz New Member

Great thanks for helping to track that down and purchasing the app. I'm talking to someone with a droid razr now...So we'll get the email chooser dialog fixed for the next person.

It won't notify if you are making a phone call...We are careful to play all audio whether it be sounds or Text-To-Speech through the NOTIFICATION_STREAM channel. So that ensures that it respects all your system settings. I'm already developing a customization for the pop-up that enables you to 1. Only open it over certain programs OR Specify a list of programs over which you do not want to open it. We could potentially handle this case the same way. See what complaints we get :)

Yeah the upgrade is an issue. We implemented an in-app upgrade through a service called Urban Airship. [Lets you do in-app purchasing across multiple android markets -> Google play, Amazon, ...] But they discontinued the service as we launched :) There is a way to do it though. On the main settings screen, there is a feature called "Transfer data"...This is designed for when you upgrade your device...It will create an encrypted transfer file that you can share with the new device. If you tap on that file you can then import it into the full version of eNotify. Sorry I think this info came too late!! :) We will make this an automatic process soon.

It does ignore "read" mail. So I'm guessing the email client doesn't mark it as "read" on the server right away?

Yeah vibration on / off is coming...Also the ability to choose different vibration patterns and quite probably an editor to create your own vibration patterns.

17. bweN diorD

i noticed the export feature after i posted, its just what i was looking for :)

i tested the email again, stop reporting after the email has been read on another device, i actually completely deleted the email on my computer but 10 minutes later the app is still notifying. its really not an issue to me as this scenario is very rare for me, just thought you might want to know.

thanks for all your help and prompt service, i hope your app does well. it has surely solved the problem of missing emails for me :)
    if you need anyone to test in the future feel free to pm me.

thanks again
  18. glensantacruz

glensantacruz New Member

I have it on the TODO list to integrate the transfer feature with the eNotify upgrade.

As far as delete, i would guess the delete instruction hasn't been sent from client to the server. eNotify processes all the mail in real time. It doesn't queue any notifications or emails as such. So the most likely explanation is that the email is on the server.

We are at android_support@verietassoftware.com...Both the iPhone developer (Josh) and myself monitor this inbox daily (using eNotify i might add!!) :) Please feel free to get in touch if you encounter any issues or have feedback on the features...We'll get the before mentioned vibration options out soon...Within the next month at most...

Cheers,
    Glen

19. glensantacruz

glensantacruz New Member

What's New
    Pebble wrist-watch alerts
    New Feature: Select SMS phone number from contacts app
    Fixed some issues with SMS alert matching
    Fixed expired subscription problem with EWS accounts
    Ability to choose any app as the default email or SMS app
    Misc enhancements
    vibrations on/off
    Personalize vibration patterns
    Reworked lite version based on community feedback
    1.50: MAJOR RELEASE
    SMS support
    Personalize pop-up notifications
    Personalize text to speech read out
  20. bweN diorD

app is still running great!, and with each update it just gets better!.
    thanks for posting :)
Search tags for this page
do not disturb on droid razr

does motorola razr maxx have a do not disturb feature like i

droid enotify app
enotify email pro
how to put droid razr maxx on do not disturb
stop sounds from enotify