App for changing the way you answer your phone?

OP
M

Matth3w

I've owned a plethora of phones in my adult life and not one has had a sliding lock. I've never "accidentally" answered a call that I didn't want to. Your pocket isn't going to just answer the phone for you, it has to be some sort of skin/body part because of the feedback on the phone....for the same reason that my wife can't use the phone with her fingernails, you shouldn't be able to just accidentally answer.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Matt my Lg's Envs would randomly call people VIA my pocket or holster, it pissed me off or when I when I would get a call trying to get the phone out of the pocket it would answer before I intended to hit the answer button.

so the sliding to unlock is NICE I have not had a pocket dial yet or premature answering of the phone.

I think you should learn some code and design you own apps to your liking and start selling them in the market.

-=Jason=-

Zippster

Reaction score
Hate the dam slider, the regular slider when bringing the phone out of sleep works everytime, dam phone one keeps jumping backwards all the time to where I either get the call on the final ring or it goes to VM...:icon_evil:

ASN-121

Reaction score
our pocket isn't going to just answer the phone for you, it has to be some sort of skin/body part because of the feedback on the phone....for the same reason that my wife can't use the phone with her fingernails, you shouldn't be able to just accidentally answer.

I doubt that's true, my phone was in my pocket, and sent a text message to a friend of mine with the body of the message something like this: ",m,n,mmjjhnlkknln"
I've also had it send text messages I haven't been able to finish due to having something else come up. I'll put the phone in my pocket, and pull it out to see an unfinished message already sent before the lock engaged.

loop4zil

Reaction score
How do other touchscreen phones handle answering? Is there one that does it better than others?

I am looking at my Droid trying to think of a way you could answer that would:

a)be easier than using current slider
b)still avoid accidental answering when pulling the phone out of your man purse
c) that would be reasonable to code an execute

-an on screen "button" that you have to double tap?
-reroute the answer responsibility to another button like the camera button?
-a chip inside your brain that transmits your thought and desires to the phone: thinking<answer phone!>

Maybe it would just be good enough in the developer gave you an option in setting as to how you would like to answer.

OP
M

Matth3w

Matt my Lg's Envs would randomly call people VIA my pocket or holster, it pissed me off or when I when I would get a call trying to get the phone out of the pocket it would answer before I intended to hit the answer button.

so the sliding to unlock is NICE I have not had a pocket dial yet or premature answering of the phone.

I think you should learn some code and design you own apps to your liking and start selling them in the market.

-=Jason=-
Never had this problem with my LG enV3. Never once dialed someone by accident in over 7 months.

I doubt that's true, my phone was in my pocket, and sent a text message to a friend of mine with the body of the message something like this: ",m,n,mmjjhnlkknln"
I've also had it send text messages I haven't been able to finish due to having something else come up. I'll put the phone in my pocket, and pull it out to see an unfinished message already sent before the lock engaged.
I always lock the phone so I haven't experienced this. It saves battery life. When I'm done doing whatever it is that I was doing, I simply hit the lock button.

How do other touchscreen phones handle answering? Is there one that does it better than others?
As much as I don't like the iPhone, it has two buttons: Accept or Reject and you simply touch the one you want. No sliding or anything that I recall (but that was a long time ago that I had an iPhone).

sarreq

Reaction score
Something small, very lite, very quick, that allows you to not have to slide the thing across to get a phone call?

Let's hope something comes out. Whoever came up with that slider dealio should be fired.
it does prevent your leg from answering the phone if you happen to keep your droid in your pocket…

synctek

Reaction score
If the power button could be ported over as a button-press for answering the phone, that would be better than the swipe - which is annoying. The button is flush would help to avoid accidental answering you have to push the button anyway to do most anything when the phone is in standby, so I am use to using it

I have actually lost a couple calls myself because the screen would not respond.

On a separate note, I wish there were an option to have the number pad appear automatically when I call a number (like Voicemail) or receive a call.....I shouldn't have to manually bring up the dialpad.

CrashnBrn

Reaction score
I just answer with my bluetooth headset button:)

now if google voice would just start using voice recognition on answer so I wouldn't still need to touch the phone to finish answering when someone calls my gv number I would be thrilled.

+1 too both... (fyi techguru, I found it easier to just turn off the key-prompt(s) in GV... I just just use the BT button to ignore the call (or for some people in GV just have them always go straight to VM:icon_ devil:, I never really use(d) the Listen in Feature).

Do you mean turn off Call Presentation? I find it really annoying as well to take my phone out of my pocket to answer a GV call. Are you able to hear who is calling and answer through bluetooth?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There's some apps that come close to doing it all. Mylock, as mentioned earlier in this thread. Button Shortcut (lets you assign any app to a long press of the camera button and is free in the app store), combined with Voice Dialer HF ($4 in the app store). I think the following would work:

If the phone is in screensaver mode and you long-pressed the camera while the phone was ringing it would answer. I think it would be hard to long press that for 2-3 seconds by accident. If the phone is not ringing and you long press the camera button, while the screen is locked, then you can choose whatever app you want it to fire up. Maybe it is a voice dialer, maybe it is your web browser. If the screen is not locked then you have an option to fire up the same app or a different one if you'd choose. Using Mylock you could long press the power button to get to the desktop then long press the camera to start the camera (which is the default) or start something else up. If the screen is locked and you want to see who it is before just answering then long press the power, see if you want to answer, then long press the camera button to answer. Finally, if the screen is not locked and the phone is ringing have the option to answer via long press of camera or swipe the screen which is what we do now.

wavewatcher

Reaction score
I'm new to the droid 2 and hope someone can explain this to me. Sometimes when I get a call there is a green button on the bottom of the screen to answer and a red one that shows "ignore" (both you just tap once). Other times, I have to use the slider to answer. Is there a setting for this or can anyone enlighten me on why there is a difference? And it can happen with the same number so it's not certain settings for certain numbers.

Also, if you don't mind while I'm on here. How do I see songs or other items on my SD card while it's in my phone. I have had things show they were saved to my SD card but have no clue how to get to my card to see whats there or hear the music while the card is in my phone.

Sorry it's so long and I appreciate everyones help and input!

Mistah

Reaction score
search market for Easy Button, makes the slider a button instead of having to slide it

harrellj

Reaction score
Also, if you don't mind while I'm on here. How do I see songs or other items on my SD card while it's in my phone. I have had things show they were saved to my SD card but have no clue how to get to my card to see whats there or hear the music while the card is in my phone.

Sorry it's so long and I appreciate everyones help and input!

To access the SD card requires a file manager, like EStrongs file manager or Astro File manager. To hear music, you should have a music app already installed on the phone and it can directly play the music without needing a file manager be installed.

wavewatcher

Reaction score
To access the SD card requires a file manager, like EStrongs file manager or Astro File manager. To hear music, you should have a music app already installed on the phone and it can directly play the music without needing a file manager be installed.

Ok, Thanks so much!