App for Camera Orientation?

zegolf

Reaction score
Is there an app that can determine the orientation of the camera and keep the picture the way the phone is rotated? Any pictures taken in portrait orientation inevitably end up sideways when posted to twitter, facebook and SMS. Holding the phone sideways to take a picture tends to be tedious, especially when trying to do so one handed.

Anyone know of anything?

billyidle

Reaction score
You could download Photoshop in the market (free), and rotate the pics on your droid before uploading.

OP
zegolf

zegolf

Reaction score
You could download Photoshop in the market (free), and rotate the pics on your droid before uploading.

I could, but it would be nice to not have to take 4 steps to get a rotated picture to post somewhere. This is something that should be done in the camera software itself. The form factor of the Nexus is ideal for this, and seeing as they're running, essentially, the same software, I don't see what this doesn't happen.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Agreed. You can rotate them within the camera app to save a few steps.

I know there are replacement camera apps, but not sure if any of them offer this functionality...

Silver Member
Reaction score
the default orientation of teh DROID's camera is landscape (not sure about the N1). pics taken in portrait are atuomatically rotated to landscape (and you get black bars). all cameras do this to some degree. my $800 SLR camera does this to all portrait pics, but the pic remains portrait when you download it.

when you upload pics from the phone, it's probably keeping that orientation because of how it's presented on the screen (making assumptions).

regardless, after you take a pic in portrait, when you review the pic to upload it, hit menu and then rotate. problem solved.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Good points, but...

regardless, after you take a pic in portrait, when you review the pic to upload it, hit menu and then rotate. problem solved.

This means all uploads have to be controlled from the camera app and/or gallery, doesn't it?

For instance, I use bloo for Facebook, and when I'm in that app and want to upload a picture, I have no rotate options. Pretty sure it's the same for the stock Facebook app as well...Been a while since I used it.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good points, but...

This means all uploads have to be controlled from the camera app and/or gallery, doesn't it?

For instance, I use bloo for Facebook, and when I'm in that app and want to upload a picture, I have no rotate options. Pretty sure it's the same for the stock Facebook app as well...Been a while since I used it.
you can rotate once the app has been uploaded to fb. probably from the m.facebook site.

but i wouldn't bother taking pics to upload through facebook. it takes/uploads them about 75% smaller than taken by camera.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
but i wouldn't bother taking pics to upload through facebook. it takes/uploads them about 75% smaller than taken by camera.

Oh...no no no. Not entirely what I meant. I found that out the hard way. The facebook app takes crap pictures.

I'm saying, what if I've taken a picture and it's just chillin' on my phone. Then, I'm cruising around in bloo checking statuses and commenting and liking things and replying to other things and looking at notifications [Lack of sleep again] and I remember, "Oh! Hey! I took that pic earlier, and now I'd like to upload it to my Facebook to share with all of my friend!"

So, you've got the pic taken normally with the camera [and the better quality], but the random social network app [in my case, bloo] is the interface you're using to upload. bloo doesn't currently offer the option to rotate.

As well, I've only ever been able to rotate pictures in the browser by going to the full site, which [unless you have a better way] means getting on the m.facebook.com site, scrolling down, clicking touch site, scrolling down, clicking full site.

I don't really have this issue often, because I seem to take a lot of landscape pics, but it DID happen to me on New Year's after drinking copious amounts of Captain Morgan, and it wasn't easy...:icon_ banana:

Silver Member
Reaction score

Oh...no no no. Not entirely what I meant. I found that out the hard way. The facebook app takes crap pictures.

I'm saying, what if I've taken a picture and it's just chillin' on my phone. Then, I'm cruising around in bloo checking statuses and commenting and liking things and replying to other things and looking at notifications [Lack of sleep again] and I remember, "Oh! Hey! I took that pic earlier, and now I'd like to upload it to my Facebook to share with all of my friend!"

So, you've got the pic taken normally with the camera [and the better quality], but the random social network app [in my case, bloo] is the interface you're using to upload. bloo doesn't currently offer the option to rotate.

As well, I've only ever been able to rotate pictures in the browser by going to the full site, which [unless you have a better way] means getting on the m.facebook.com site, scrolling down, clicking touch site, scrolling down, clicking full site.

I don't really have this issue often, because I seem to take a lot of landscape pics, but it DID happen to me on New Year's after drinking copious amounts of Captain Morgan, and it wasn't easy...:icon_ banana:
yeah i guess i'm not following your process. if i have a pic in my gallery that i want to share through fb (for example), i go gallery - pic - share - facebook. simple. i can decide if the pic needs to be rotated from the gallery before uploading.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
yeah i guess i'm not following your process. if i have a pic in my gallery that i want to share through fb (for example), i go gallery - pic - share - facebook. simple. i can decide if the pic needs to be rotated from the gallery before uploading.

Just trying to make the point that it'd be handy for pics to automatically be rotate accordingly with the orientation of the phone when they're taken.

Really, I tend to upload a pic right after I take it, which means I do it basically the same way you do most of the time.

And as previously stated, I take most pics in landscape anyway.

Thanks for hashing this out though!

Silver Member
Reaction score
the pics get rotated to landscape so that when you're viewing them in the gallery, you can rotate the phone to view them in portrait. they're saved as landscape and will be uploaded as landscape. the rotation is just a feature of the gallery.

billyidle

Reaction score
I understand what you're trying to say, but try to think of what would be going on in your scenario. In order to rotate pictures automatically, you would lose either portrait or landscape shots. Personally I prefer having both. Secondly, and I'm too tired to put much thought into this point, the camera itself is not rotating, its rotating with the entire phone...so to have it the way you want, you would need a camera capable of rotating on its own seperate from the phone, OR, the camera software would have to automatically rotate the image, and the image would have to be cropped. I'd much rather rotate it manually than have it cropped automatically.

samuraki

Reaction score
My iPhone did all of this perfectly. So i know that the droid should be able to do it as well. No matter how you rotate the photo in gallery it is always landscape when you share it and that's just ridiculous. At least half of my photos have portrait orientation. if the gallery recognizes that and displays it that way then why on earth doesn't it upload them or MMS them that way? Huge oversight that needs to be corrected very soon.