Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
disa-app.jpg

Disa is the messenger hub many of us have been waiting for! Disa is a messaging client that aims to fix one of the most annoying issues of instant messaging: managing your contacts and conversations across multiple services.

Over 36,000 private alpha-stage testers in the Disa Google+ community have been testing this app and believe it's ready for beta testing, so now the app is available to the public. The beauty of Disa is not only the unified process that is gentler on battery life and CPU power, but also the fact that you can merge thread conversations from different services, color code them, record and send audio messages, and a bunch of such extra functionality.

For the time being, Disa only brings official support for two services: SMS and Facebook. Anyway, you will be able to install third-party plugins for other services which can be found in Disa’s Google+ community.

Disa is a free app and you can grab it from the Play Store here and be sure to let us know what you think!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So, basically, at this point, it does what Facebook Messenger does?

I may well be in the majority here, but I really only get texts and the occasional Facebook message anyway. Even more rare than Facebook messages, I'll get a Hangouts message once in a while. Hangouts takes care of my texts and Hangouts messages and I let Facebook's app take care of its own.

The app has a nice look to it, but obviously I'm not really the target audience for it's features, with or without third party plugins.

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
So, basically, at this point, it does what Facebook Messenger does?

+SMS and eventually most other messaging services like Whatsapp etc.

Reason I don't install FB messenger is I don't want another messaging app on my phone along with Google messenger which I use for sms, but Disa will take care of that.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Facebook Messenger can handle SMS, that's why I asked. Never tried it myself, but I know it offered to take them over when the update first came with the functionality and I think it offered again when I first got the Note 4 and installed/setup my apps.

I see your point, but like I said, Hangouts takes care of my SMS and Hangouts messages, so I only need it and Facebook Messenger. That's not too many for me and I like that separation. Having Hangouts and SMS blended makes perfect sense to me, because I either ONLY talk to certain people via Hangouts or text. I rarely cross over, so when they do combine, it's not too much.

As for FB messenger, I use that with folks whose number I don't have, so I guess they wouldn't really combine with texts anyway, but I like to keep that separate from my daily conversations.

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Facebook Messenger can handle SMS, that's why I asked. Never tried it myself, but I know it offered to take them over when the update first came with the functionality and I think it offered again when I first got the Note 4 and installed/setup my apps.

Hmm, I did't know that. I still refuse to install it though. :D

Reactions: CJM

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Wow. So this is like what Trillian was back in the day! Although I moved away from stuff like AIM and YIM in favor of Facebook Messenger and Hangouts. I may check it out sooner or later just to test it out.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
The idea of managing your conversations across multiple services is appealing. If I can find some plug-ins for Twitter & G+, I'm sold

Tapped from a Nexus 6