App Copyright / Infringement?

Playdo

Reaction score
I'm looking to develop an app, and would like some information on how copyright works in this industry. From my research so far, there is not an existing app with all the features that I intend to apply, though there are apps with some of the features. How do I know when I'm breaching copyright, and what would prevent a future developer from creating an app very similar to mine?

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Unless you're blatantly ripping off the coding or the name you're not violating any copyrights. But at the same time you can't stop someone from making a similar app unless you created a novel program.

Examples:

-You can make a search engine.

-You can include image search, video search, etc. Any feature others use.

-You cannot make a search engine named Google.

-You cannot steal the algorithms they have developed.

OP
P

Playdo

Reaction score
So I could create an app that had all the features of Facebook, with a different looking UI, and it would be ok? (not that I intend to. Just trying to understand the legalities)

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Absolutely. Facebook is just like any other social networking site. There's hundreds of those that utilize the same features.

As long as you're not using the Facebook name or in that gray area where you use a similar name and color scheme it wouldn't be an issue.