App access to write to SD card

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
Anyone else finding that some apps can't seem to write files to the removable SD card? On my Droid Razr,I used to use AndroZip to move files around - between folders, or from phone storage to SD. But it won't write to the SD anymore. Similarly, when using Dolphin browser, it gives the option to choose where to save a file from the web (photo, pdf, etc.). When I try to choose to save directly to SD, it balks. It will only allow saves to internal storage, so then I have to use My Files (but not AndroZip, as stated before) to move them manually to SD.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
My first thought would be to question the SD card structure. In other words it may be corrupted. Can you otherwise manage files there with a file manager without a problem?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
If you have 4.4+ It's a "feature" of kit Kat. They limited access to the SD card.

There is a workaround but I believe it requires root.

Sent from my Eclipsed XT1060

OP
Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
If you have 4.4+ It's a "feature" of kit Kat. They limited access to the SD card.

There is a workaround but I believe it requires root.

Well, that would explain it, then. It's running 4.4.2. Maybe a future release will de-nerf this inconvenient "feature."

bigmatt503

Reaction score
Any work-around to this limitation yet?
My work around is root... If you're not into that sort of thing you might have zero options

Sent from my rooted Verizon galaxy s5

WTF??

Reaction score
... so then I have to use My Files (but not AndroZip, as stated before) to move them manually to SD.

So I just discovered this app would allow movement of files to/from/within the SD card

Jale

Reaction score
Didn't find a WiFi workaround unrooted, but if you connect through USB, you can write on the SD card from the PS.