.apk's I have frozen (changed to .bak)

brkshr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I haven't seen too many lists of frozen apps/apk's for the dx2. So I figured I would post what I have done. I used root explorer to change the .apk to .bak. I have had no problems with my phone, but I don't guarantee that you won't.

Adservice
amazonmp3
android-syncservice-app
BackupAssistanceClient
Blockbuster_Stub_Moto_Daytona_v0_7_build_7-signed
BookmarksWidget
BuaContactAdapter
CarDock2
CityID
Cmas
HelpCenter
IMPresence
MagicSmokeWallpapers
MessagesWidget
Messaging
NewsWidget
PhotoWidget
QuickContactWidget
RichLocation
SocialMessaging
StatusWidget
VCast
VCastMusic
VCastVideo
Visualization
VisualizationWalpapers
VVm
vzw_vnav_7.1.2.85_DROIDX2_rel_PROD_signed
VZWIM
WeatherWidget
WorldClockWidget

Edit: updated

Last edited:

oakvad

Reaction score
So when you change an apk to bak where is it moved to

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It isn't moved anywhere. It just becomes unusable because the extension has been changed. That way if you want to restore them you just change the name back to .apk and it will work again.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

oakvad

Reaction score
It isn't moved anywhere. It just becomes unusable because the extension has been changed. That way if you want to restore them you just change the name back to .apk and it will work again.

Ya that's what I did, and when I changed it to .bak it disappeared and I can't find it.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can't find it using root explorer or can't find it in your app drawer?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are you looking for it by name or icon? It should still be in there but the icon will be changed to a piece of paper with a badge on it.

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
In that case, you may be out of luck. Have you backed them up using Titanium or anything as such? Otherwise, if you let me know what apks you need, I could upload them for you.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

oakvad

Reaction score
In that case, you may be out of luck. Have you backed them up using Titanium or anything as such? Otherwise, if you let me know what apks you need, I could upload them for you.

I just ranamed the amazon.apk and it disappeared so I didn't do anymore

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

That's weird. Have you tried using root explorer search function for it?

oakvad

Reaction score

That's weird. Have you tried using root explorer search function for it?

Of course i haven't used the search function! That would be thinking. Ok just used it and lo and behold the search function found it right were it should have been, in the same place renamed. Why would it disappear then search for it and its their?

greycobalt

Reaction score
What's the noobiest way to root the X2? I just want to freeze the bloat because there's SO MUCH. Unless you can do it without rooting? Last I checked Root Explorer didn't like you touching things that weren't on the SD Card unless you were rooted.

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
@greycobalt

Hello All!

This is a quick "guide" to get you going on your new Droid X2. The X2 can be easily rooted using Gingerbreak. To use the exploit make sure you have USB Debugging enabled and install the Gingerbreak apk courtesy of Chainfire. For more information of how it works visit Chainfire's page here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1044765.

Root X2 using Gingerbreak
Instructions- Ensure you have your SD card inserted and mounted, enable USB debugging and Install gingerbreak apk. Click on Root Device. Your phone will reboot and you will have Superuser installed when your phone is rooted.
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?rdan1eqfk7ce0wz

Host File to block Ads*Added 6/3
Here is a host file that will block ads within apps. I have slightly modified this host file so that it doesn't break zynga games and a few others. Adfree blocks nearly everything (which is good), but can break the functionality of some games and apps.
Instructions-Use root explorer, mount the system in R/W and place the file in system/etc *Make a backup of your existing version
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?a1nynz5bni766ad

GPS Mod*Added 6/3
Here is a modded gps.config file to lock in GPS faster. It changes the GPS satellite location to the US instead of North America.
Instructions-Use root explorer, mount the system in R/W and place the file in system/etc *Make a backup of your existing version
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?sonmbwj9c30m8s9

Froyo Malware Exploit "Patch"*Added 6/3
This tricks an older and current froyo exploit into thinking it has already ran. All you need to do is place a blank file (created in linux) with the name of "profile" and place it in system/bin. I have created a zip file with the profile file inside. I had to place it within a zip file since you cannot upload empty files to mediafire.
Instructions: Extract the zip and use root explorer (mount R/W) to place the profile file in system/bin.
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?pkl6zhq94w1jqbo

Spare Parts for X2*Added 6/8
Here is a stripped down Cyanogenmod spare parts for our phones if anyone would like it. It doesn't have all the crap the market version comes along with. You can use this to speed up window and transition animations and lock the launcher in memory.
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?amd9s9bacgyadba

We do not have an SBF for our phones yet if you choose to remove the apps you will not be able to restore at this time.

Safe List of apps to remove/Freeze (recommended to freeze, but I removed mine and have had no issues)

DO NOT REMOVE AUTHENTICATING APPS!! IT WILL BREAK CONTACTS FUNCTIONALITY!! IF YOU USE AN APP OR WIDGET THEN DONT REMOVE IT!
I will add more to the list as I find them
Amazon Kindle
Amazon MP3
Backup Assistant
Backup Assistant Client
Blockbuster
City ID
DLNA 0709.69
DLNAsystemService
Emergency Alerts
Help Center
Homescreen tips
IM 3.0.4.6
IM presence
Lets golf
My Verizon (May have force closes after removed but will be fine when rebooted)
News 2.2.2
NFL Mobile
NFS Shift
Quickoffice
Rich Location
Tasks 1.0
VCAST Apps
VCAST Music
VCAST Videos
Voice Commands - Will remove dialer voice searching functionality (VSuite.apk)
Voicemail - Remove the visual voicemail
VZ Navigator

New Added *6/3
BlurTasks.apk
Cmas.apk
PerformanceManager.apk
StatusWidget.apk
StickNotWidget.apk
WeatherWidget.apk
WorldClockWidget.apk

MikeJ92YJ

Reaction score
Cj21Johnson That Is By Far The Best All In One Place, Options, And Downloads That I May Add All Work Immaculate. I Thank The Developers Everyday For Working So Hard On The Android Platform Giving Us The Experience With Our Devices.