APK question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mentaloaf, Jun 12, 2010.

1. mentaloaf

mentaloaf New Member

Hey Hackers,
    I'm pretty new to this stuff and I have a question if someone doesn't mind...I've heard of people moving some .apk files around, I'm assuming those are apps? How do I do that? Where do I find the apk files (like maps or flash player), and where do I move them to and from?

Also, how does wifi tethering work? I have it on my phone and I don't have any clue how it works...I have a desktop pc at home with dsl for internet so it does me no good there...I am going to be getting a laptop soon that is going to be traveling with me. Can I use my droid as a source for internet access on the go? Is that legal?

If I am in a wifi hotspot like Starbuck's or something, and I turn on wifi tethering will my browsing be a lot faster on my phone? That's what I'm thinking of using it for..piggybacking off of someone else's wifi for my phone....or is that even useful? Again, I'm pretty clueless....Thanks!!

btw, awesome tie game for the US soccer team against heavily favored England!!
  2. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen New Member

Hey Hackers,
    I'm pretty new to this stuff and I have a question if someone doesn't mind...I've heard of people moving some .apk files around, I'm assuming those are apps? How do I do that? Where do I find the apk files (like maps or flash player), and where do I move them to and from?
    Download a File manager, mine is astro, and you can put apps on sd card and such. .apk is linux zip file which contains the tiny apps, you can copy and paste them anywhere. i have lots backed up on my pc.

Also, how does wifi tethering work? I have it on my phone and I don't have any clue how it works...I have a desktop pc at home with dsl for internet so it does me no good there...I am going to be getting a laptop soon that is going to be traveling with me. Can I use my droid as a source for internet access on the go? Is that legal?
    Im not sure if its legal with verizon or not at moment, it could violate your policy and they could drop you if caught. Not sure how they would know though, ive been on mine peacefully for months now.
    If I am in a wifi hotspot like Starbuck's or something, and I turn on wifi tethering will my browsing be a lot faster on my phone? That's what I'm thinking of using it for..piggybacking off of someone else's wifi for my phone....or is that even useful? Again, I'm pretty clueless....Thanks!!
    If your at starbucks im not sure why youd want to use your 3g speeds.... or why you would use your wifi tether to piggyback off of another wifi, if the wifi is available in starbucks, just use theirs, And if u connected to the starbucks wifi on your phone just to have a better bars on your pc the connection speeds would be the same-your phones connection to starbucks woulnt be any faster than if you just connected it to pc* If i explained that right lol. (STARBUCKS/PHONE/LAPTOP= Same speeds as STARBUCKS/LAPTOP)
    btw, awesome tie game for the US soccer team against heavily favored England!!
    Not really into soccer, but if your from england, i wouldnt trash talk Rugby lol Those guys are insane (more of a American football kind of guy than soccer)