apk files save to SD or internal memory?

Reaction score
Do I use all of my apps every day? No, but I have them all for a reason. Outside of a handful of games and utility apps, I don't have a lot of that I don't use at least once a week.

I've already given you a reason why people would want to run apps off their card. Whether or not you care to acknowledge it, the internal storage of the Droid is pathetically small in comparison to other smart phones on the market. If we could run apps from the card, nobody would even notice.

The lack of app room is the fatal flaw in Android/Droid. If you install a couple of GOOD games with good graphics, like Home Run 3D that takes close to 30 MB, it eats it up FAST. THIS is what keeps developers from developing for Android. Sure, they can put a boot loader on the card and put the media files on the card but with a class 2 card standard, it's too slow to access on a quick basis and slows down the app. Until they put in faster cards and allow for SD install, serious games and media apps are going to be few and far between because there simply isn't room. Sure, MOST apps are around a Meg, but the really useful, good apps are much larger. I have 137 apps and it takes up 137 mb. But my total usage shows as 232mb. I don't know if this is from .apk files or if it's from support files or what, but the "size" of the app isn't all you have to worry about. Limiting the phone to just the internal memory is really starting to show the biggest weakness the droid has.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was overwhelmed with all these 8gb internal memory phones coming out
You might want to read up some more. The 8GB isn't for app installs IIRC.

Sure, they can put a boot loader on the card and put the media files on the card but with a class 2 card standard, it's too slow to access on a quick basis and slows down the app.
Who's stopping you from getting a faster SD card? If app space is a priority you can either push developers to code better so they're storing stuff on the SD card or you can root. Otherwise, you can manage the space you have available.

I'm not saying that having more space doesn't help but you still have finite space.

Reaction score
I was overwhelmed with all these 8gb internal memory phones coming out
You might want to read up some more. The 8GB isn't for app installs IIRC.

Sure, they can put a boot loader on the card and put the media files on the card but with a class 2 card standard, it's too slow to access on a quick basis and slows down the app.
Who's stopping you from getting a faster SD card? If app space is a priority you can either push developers to code better so they're storing stuff on the SD card or you can root. Otherwise, you can manage the space you have available.

I'm not saying that having more space doesn't help but you still have finite space.

My point wasn't whether I could upgrade to a class 6 card or not, my point was that developers are shying away from developing because the phones COME with slower cards and they don't want to develop for something they have to "work around". I can easily buy a class 6 card and root my phone but I'm a geek so that's good for me, but the average consumer won't go that route and they will get frustrated when they buy it and can't install all they want.

Also, the Incredible DOES have 8GB of onboard internal memory but they only have about 1.25 GB partitioned for app install (which is 5x what we have) and they have a slot to add a micro SD card for more storage. it's NOT 8GB of external memory.