apk files save to SD or internal memory?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by RacecarBMW, Apr 18, 2010.

1. RacecarBMW

RacecarBMW New Member

When I download an apk. file on my computer then I put it on the SD card and use astro to start it up. After that does the app run from my SD card or does it go onto my phones internal memory.

I do not think that was very clear but if you have a problem understanding it tell me.
  2. Skaggz

Skaggz New Member

Astro doesn't "start up" the app. It just enables you to get to the install screen. When you install the app it will be installed in your phone's internal memory.
  3. haythem1992

haythem1992 New Member

internal memory, apks are like .exe's on comp they just initialize installation.
  4. RacecarBMW

RacecarBMW New Member

really is there a way to put it on the SD card

how come it has to be on the internal memory

there no piracy in a free apk. app
  5. haythem1992

haythem1992 New Member

no piracy in free but the only way to not use internal memory is to root your phone and go through some terminal codes and/or partition card. There is no way to do it without rooting your phone.
  6. gotta have that funk

gotta have that funk New Member

do you even know why you dont want it to run from internal memory? theres a lot of room for a lot of apps on the phone. you dont gain speed or anything, so why do you think you want it to run from the sd card?
  7. Skaggz

Skaggz New Member

Yes there is a way to run apps from your SD card. You'll need to be rooted though. You'll also have to create a partition on you card. It also helps to upgrade to a class 6, since the class 2 that comes with the phone is a little slow for that. Read up on apps2sd if you're really interested.
  8. RacecarBMW

RacecarBMW New Member

A lot of room are you serious?

also does anyone know if google might have a solution in the future?
  9. gotta have that funk

i have 170 MB free on the phones internal memory...you know how many apps it takes to fill up 200 megs? over 100 im sure.
  10. RacecarBMW

RacecarBMW New Member

hmm really

thank you that really reassured me about the space
    I was overwhelmed with all these 8gb internal memory phones coming out
  11. Dan.Droid

Dan.Droid New Member

I actually had a warning from my phone today about almost being out of internal storage. I didn't have a lot of apps, so either I had some huge apps, or there's not as much space as you think.

I used AppSaver to copy the .apk files I had to my card, then uninstalled a bunch. The message went away after deleting 3 or 4 apps, but I got rid of several that I hardly use. If we could run the apps from the card, I wouldn't have had that issue.

For the record, the correct answer above is: I didn't have any huge apps.
  12. gotta have that funk

well this is the best info i can give. i have 51 apps on the phones internal memory. i have 95.80MB used with 165.95MB left. i have room for at least another 50-75 apps before it fills up. this is why im not sure i see the benefit of apps2sd...not that its not a good thing to have in some cases, i just cant imagine someone having AND using ~150-200 apps on a daily/monthly basis.
  13. Dan.Droid

Dan.Droid New Member

Do I use all of my apps every day? No, but I have them all for a reason. Outside of a handful of games and utility apps, I don't have a lot of that I don't use at least once a week.

I've already given you a reason why people would want to run apps off their card. Whether or not you care to acknowledge it, the internal storage of the Droid is pathetically small in comparison to other smart phones on the market. If we could run apps from the card, nobody would even notice.
  14. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

Another benefit of Apps2SD is that your apps stay installed even if you factory reset. This allows you to change roms, if they have Apps2SD support, without backing up your apps and data every time.
  15. SpykeZ

SpykeZ New Member

Well, dumb example but I was curious to how much these apps were taknig up, I use an app called uninstaller just cause it's quicker to do that than any other way, but it tells you file sizes. I had like 2 games that were over 1MB, one was like 1.5 and 3.9, my other dozens of apps were all less than 500KB as are most apps so, you pretty much have tons of space with the limited size you got atm. I do remember seeing something about google working on an update that allows installing to the SD card due to the new phones coming out with more space and ours having so little.
  16. PowerPlayGraphix

PowerPlayGraphix New Member

The lack of app room is the fatal flaw in Android/Droid. If you install a couple of GOOD games with good graphics, like Home Run 3D that takes close to 30 MB, it eats it up FAST. THIS is what keeps developers from developing for Android. Sure, they can put a boot loader on the card and put the media files on the card but with a class 2 card standard, it's too slow to access on a quick basis and slows down the app. Until they put in faster cards and allow for SD install, serious games and media apps are going to be few and far between because there simply isn't room. Sure, MOST apps are around a Meg, but the really useful, good apps are much larger. I have 137 apps and it takes up 137 mb. But my total usage shows as 232mb. I don't know if this is from .apk files or if it's from support files or what, but the "size" of the app isn't all you have to worry about. Limiting the phone to just the internal memory is really starting to show the biggest weakness the droid has.
  17. takeshi

takeshi New Member

You might want to read up some more. The 8GB isn't for app installs IIRC.

Who's stopping you from getting a faster SD card? If app space is a priority you can either push developers to code better so they're storing stuff on the SD card or you can root. Otherwise, you can manage the space you have available.

I'm not saying that having more space doesn't help but you still have finite space.
  18. PowerPlayGraphix

PowerPlayGraphix New Member

My point wasn't whether I could upgrade to a class 6 card or not, my point was that developers are shying away from developing because the phones COME with slower cards and they don't want to develop for something they have to "work around". I can easily buy a class 6 card and root my phone but I'm a geek so that's good for me, but the average consumer won't go that route and they will get frustrated when they buy it and can't install all they want.

Also, the Incredible DOES have 8GB of onboard internal memory but they only have about 1.25 GB partitioned for app install (which is 5x what we have) and they have a slot to add a micro SD card for more storage. it's NOT 8GB of external memory.
Search tags for this page
download memory internal apk

how to install apk to internal memory

how to save apk file to lenovo a690

how to save apk file to sd card

how to save apk files to sd card

how to save apk to internal storage
how to save apk to sd card
install apk to internal memory
internal memory apk
internal memory apk download
where to save apk files on android