.apk associated with market it was downloaded from?

Natey2

Reaction score
Looks like Amazon AppStore downloads apps to
/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache/vnz12345.apk

(12345 could be some other number for your app)

And immediately triggers the Package Installer.
The apk file is deleted after the install.

If I manually install the apk after copying it to a different folder, it still associates it with the Amazon Appstore. Is there something embedded in an apk that ties it to the market it was downloaded from?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
All apps from the Amazon market require the Amazon app to be installed to run.
Delete the Amazon Market App and all associated apps are deleted as well.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Delete the Amazon Market App and all associated apps are deleted as well.

I can live with that right now ...

So far they have given out great freebies, and IMHO ther rest is just a repeat of the AM stuff available.

Two markets are a good thing for competition, although one now has to check two for updates (all together now ... AWWWWWWWW ...... :) )

I have stuff I already uninstalled, in the Amazon mkt it is still listed in my apps, with an install button, so you are not losing the apps you "purchased" ...

As far as RAM, the GM uses about the same as the Amazon one when you look at the three units comprising it, feedback agent, updater and the market itself.

And if I remove it later on, I can restore it as well, it's all tied to my Amazon account.

and all this on an OG, where I'm mem limited, unlike the newer phones out there.

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score

Wow! Is Amazon repackaging the apk bundles built/uploaded by Developers, to create a dependency on the Amazon appstore?

I'm going to try installing one of the downloaded apps on a phone that does not have the Amazon appstore app installed...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
Two markets are a good thing for competition, although one now has to check two for updates

I agree.
I like to keep apps I want update notifications for in the original/default Market, and apps I don't want update notifications for in the Amazon Market.
That'll teach Google to give me an option to selectively turn off update notifications for certain apps I downloaded.
When I look at my apps, I am cluttered with update notifications for apps I don't want to update for some reason.

Last edited:
OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
Is there something embedded in an apk that ties it to the market it was downloaded from?

I did a diff between an identical app from both markets. The Amazon appstore app has 2 files not found in the Android market app:
kiwi - 4KB
com.amazon.content.id.XX-Y-1234567890123 - 19bytes

Hmmm...

chasehammer

Reaction score
Is there something embedded in an apk that ties it to the market it was downloaded from?

I did a diff between an identical app from both markets. The Amazon appstore app has 2 files not found in the Android market app:
kiwi - 4KB
com.amazon.content.id.XX-Y-1234567890123 - 19bytes

Hmmm...

so i wonder what would happen if you deleted those two files and repackaged it. there has to be a code somewhere to initiate the files, just having the files there is the lock but still need to find the key.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Same here Matey on updates ...

This really shouldn't be a sulfide. Google ties apps to your account as well, but that app is "integral" to the OS.

Amazon's is a third party market, while we might disagree with it, you're not limited by this- if you get another device (a second one, not a replacement) you can install all your apps on it as well.