Apache License

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
With all of the drama today. Here is a quote from the Apache License Wiki
"Like any free software license, the Apache License allows the user of the software the freedom to use the software for any purpose, to distribute it, to modify it, and to distribute modified versions of the software, under the terms of the license".

R1Lover

Reaction score
You really need to read the complete license.... in light of your post.. here is another exert you might find interesting from the apache license.

Redistribution. You may reproduce and distribute copies of the Work or Derivative Works thereof in any medium, with or without modifications, and in Source or Object form, provided that You meet the following conditions:
  1. You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a copy of this License; and
  2. You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating that You changed the files; and
  3. You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices from the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works; and

T

TheMarkness

You really need to read the complete license.... in light of your post.. here is another exert you might find interesting from the apache license.

Redistribution. You may reproduce and distribute copies of the Work or Derivative Works thereof in any medium, with or without modifications, and in Source or Object form, provided that You meet the following conditions:
  1. You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a copy of this License; and
  2. You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating that You changed the files; and
  3. You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices from the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works; and

Goldenshellback as R1Lover points out you should read the entire license before posting. Again all cyanogen team wants is credit for their work that black droid took, themed, and added scripts/apps and called his own.

If I built something open source or not I would be very upset if someone took my free work, patched logos all over it and started distributing it for their own gain and glory. That doesn't go over well in the open source community you just don't do that.

ldimick

Reaction score

Goldenshellback as R1Lover points out you should read the entire license before posting. Again all cyanogen team wants is credit for their work that black droid took, themed, and added scripts/apps and called his own.

If I built something open source or not I would be very upset if someone took my free work, patched logos all over it and started distributing it for their own gain and glory. That doesn't go over well in the open source community you just don't do that.

As long as the attribution is retained in the SOURCE code I am not sure what he may have done that violated the letter of the license. The spirit yes, the letter, I don't see it.

hairdewx

Reaction score

So the license only requires the info be retained in Source form...

OP
G
Reaction score

I did read the entire license and posted what was relevant to material that does not have a copyright. This sounds as if it is a respect issue and I haven't been involved in the community long enough to comment on that.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I trust that the mod/ admin crew will handle this in the best way that is fair and right for each party. Cyanogen, Koush, DM, Adamz, Pete, Chevy, etc, they all do a good job and we appreciate their work. We look forward to their continued work for the android community.

Reaction score
This may be out of line but does anyone else think of "Grandma's Boy" in all of this. I don't mean to offend anyone by this but it makes me chuckle.

R1Lover

Reaction score
I trust that the mod/ admin crew will handle this in the best way that is fair and right for each party. Cyanogen, Koush, DM, Adamz, Pete, Chevy, etc, they all do a good job and we appreciate their work. We look forward to their continued work for the android community.

This thread was only about the license.... and not the other drama.... lol

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

This thread was only about the license.... and not the other drama.... lol

by bad then........

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I am closing this at the request of the OP......

Status
Not open for further replies.