AOSP on Droid2

slayher

Reaction score
Hey guys, after a couple weeks of work, and alot of questions directed and Cvpcs and Koush, I have managed to get an aosp build of android running on the Droid2. Its definately an alpha right now, but it does boot, and you can browse through the phone. I will hopefully have a video up today.
Things that dont work atm:
Phone calls.
Wake from sleep.
Battery status.
Some audio stuff.

Wifi, bluetooth are working along with all the soft and hard keys.

More to Come!!

mza929

Reaction score
This is great progress...

Thank you for your work! :)

pathfin9

Reaction score
Awesome! Great work! Does this mean once its out of testing, that contacts will be normal again, as they were with stock Android?

-John

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, Slayher!!

Very cool/impressive. I know many D2 owners are going to be very happy to be able to get ASOP on their D2s... :)

bapperton

Reaction score
Awesome, dude. Thanks a lot! It seems like the D2 community is pretty dry so far; this would be an awesome addition to the community!

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah...all I want to keep from the D2, if push comes to shove, is the new Email client (used for Exchange accounts) - I like it much better than the stock 2.2 Email client, but I have a feeling I'll have to give it up.

The other thing I'd like to keep is the battery profile manager, that actually works much better for me than Juice Defender, which made my D2 very unstable.

Jeebz88

Reaction score
Android Open Source Project

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Means it's based on Android source code released by Google... Android is an open-source program, so Google (and many/most Android developers) release the source code to the public.

Nice, smart (sucking up here) people like Slayher then take that code and use it to build a ROM from it that can be installed on our phones. The benefit here is that it would be "stock" Android, and not encumbered (if that's how one feels about it) by Motorola "enhancements" (if that's how one feels about it) like the MotoBlur stuff...

:)

OP
S

slayher

Reaction score
Sorry guys, have family coming to town, and spent all last night cleaning house. I will keep you informed but may not be a whole lot going on the next couple of days.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
What, family before Droid?! That's just so wrong... ;)

Have fun w/'em.

Reaction score
Fantastic! Great work and can't thank you enough for putting time into this.

Hope you have some time to make it stable. I'm sure there are many people waiting for this. Maybe you can merge with Cyanogen at some point down the line.

danwanna

Reaction score
Yeah...all I want to keep from the D2, if push comes to shove, is the new Email client (used for Exchange accounts) - I like it much better than the stock 2.2 Email client, but I have a feeling I'll have to give it up.

The other thing I'd like to keep is the battery profile manager, that actually works much better for me than Juice Defender, which made my D2 very unstable.

I am a big fan of the Exchange email client as well. As much as I would like to get back to a stock ROM like my D1 had I don't know that I would willing to go back to the stock email client or Touchdown.

romanrish

Reaction score
Slayher if you need any help w/ this lemme know. I will gladly help. I was about to start this myself, but my main concern was not being able to have a custom kernel and the feature problems you might encounter. That aside because that part is not my forte I will help in anyway I can.