aol email and the droid?

ebean

Reaction score
i know that there are some super-techs here - basic question. is there an application that i can use to get my aol email - and not use gmail? i know...it's a google phone. don't want to use gmail. have my work email already pushed to my aol. i appreciate the answer - good or bad. it's a deal breaker for me.

OP
ebean

ebean

Reaction score
with embarassment, bumping my own post in hopes of an answer. :blink:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry, i thought someone with alittle more knowledge on such a subject might have posted by now. Looking through a few sites, it appears you can set up mail to access it through POP3, so if that's the case you should be able to set it up on the android, if i'm not mistaken.

OP
ebean

ebean

Reaction score
Sorry, i thought someone with alittle more knowledge on such a subject might have posted by now. Looking through a few sites, it appears you can set up mail to access it through POP3, so if that's the case you should be able to set it up on the android, if i'm not mistaken.
ohhhhkay! i answered my own question. i was panicking last night. i just called technical support at verizon and had a long talk with a tech who walked me through with a droid in her hand.
here's the summary of what she said:

i have to have a gmail account - which i do but do not use for email. i will stay signed into it - which is ok because i'm going to use companionlink to sync my home outlook with google calendar.
once signed in, there is an icon to set up email accounts. you put in your aol address, your password and hit next and it will set it up for you. she said that it will push my aol email in and i don't have to filter it through my gmail. she also said that it supports 'unlimited email' accounts.

i hope that helps someone else besides me.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah, thanks for posting that up! i'm with New2U thinking that someone else might know the answer... never be afraid to bump a question!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi inundated, welcome to the forums, and for pointing that out. I knew it supported POP3, just wasn't sure about imap.

Inundated

Reaction score
Thanks, New2u! And thank you for that great Apps list...nice menu for downloading on day one!

I have a couple of straggling, formerly paid AOL accounts that I only hung onto when they made AOL E-mail free. I haven't used them in a long time, and they get almost no E-mail now, but they're hooked in via IMAP to my various Thunderbird 2.0 installations.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah i have one AOL mail account still, but it's been so inundated with spam it's worthless now. It used to get over 400 spam messages a day. So I created more of a business email account on yahoo to reduce the clutter. Worked well for many years.

SQFreak

Reaction score
It's worth noting that IMAP accounts are not push. You can set them to pull as often as every five minutes.

OP
ebean

ebean

Reaction score
thanks sqfreak...and i just confirmed via an email with the verizon tech i spoke to yesterday, that you can set the pull for the aol email to every 5 minutes. which works for me.

iamloco724

Reaction score
i have a quick question which involves this topic..if i were to have gmail set to receive my aol mail is there a way to do this that mail goes to both accounts not just gmail